Any news on Billy Joel or Ramones 180g reissue?

moonbeams

Picked up The Stranger on 180g and am really impressed with it. Does anyone know if his other albums are going to be reissued as well?

Also picked up the first 5 Ramones reissues. My favorite album has always been Pleasant Dreams. Are there any plans for Rhino to reissue Pleasant Dreams through Halfway to Sanity on 180g?

no matter how well i craft a snide and sarcastic response to this i do not think it could convey how hopeless i feel your situation as a human being is if you are stoked on expensive billy joel reissue lps

(edit: you live in japan? are you japanese? your enthusiasm makes a lot more sense if this is the case. i can disregard all vapid personal tastes if youre japanese)

i doubt there will any further Ramones reissues (at least on Rhino) seeing as Rhino just let go of a good chunk of their staff this past week. if they're cutting back on staff, they'll probably going to be cutting back on the amount of reissues they do. and given the fact that Pleasant Dreams, Subterrenean Jungle, Too Tough to To Die, Animal Boy and Halfway to Sanity weren't exactly huge sellers (and to be honest, not as great as the first five albums), i wouldn't count on (what's left of) Rhino to reissue them. (hell, they never even got around to reissue Animal Boy, Halfway to Sanity or Brain Drain on deluxe CDs the first time around).

no matter how well i craft a snide and sarcastic response to this i do not think it could convey how hopeless i feel your situation as a human being is if you are stoked on expensive billy joel reissue lps

(edit: you live in japan? are you japanese? your enthusiasm makes a lot more sense if this is the case. i can disregard all vapid personal tastes if youre japanese)

Well thanks for the snide.

Yes, I live in Japan, no I am not Japanese.

I bought the Billy Joel LP (definitely my best record) new from amazon for $25 with free shipping.

If I order a new LP from the states, it will cost me the same including shipping. If I go a record store in Tokyo, I'm going to be paying $12 for train fare to and back from the store and all new records here cost at least $15.

And how does one's nationality affect their tastes? Are you racist?

i doubt there will any further Ramones reissues (at least on Rhino) seeing as Rhino just let go of a good chunk of their staff this past week. if they're cutting back on staff, they'll probably going to be cutting back on the amount of reissues they do. and given the fact that Pleasant Dreams, Subterrenean Jungle, Too Tough to To Die, Animal Boy and Halfway to Sanity weren't exactly huge sellers (and to be honest, not as great as the first five albums), i wouldn't count on (what's left of) Rhino to reissue them. (hell, they never even got around to reissue Animal Boy, Halfway to Sanity or Brain Drain on deluxe CDs the first time around).

I didn't know that Rhino has rights to Brain Drain. Thanks for the info. Personally I prefer 80s Ramones to 70s Ramones. I love Pleasant Dreams, Too Tough To Die and Animal Boy.

Are you trying to say The Stranger isn't a stellar album? I wouldn't pay for the expensive reissue when originals are a dime a dozen, but if you are trying to argue that The Stranger sucks, you're more than just a troll, you're a fool.

nah i dont hate the japanese. i love em. used to live there teaching english. they have terrible taste though. id ask my students what their favorite music was and id get bon jovi, aerosmith, a-ha... just terrible generic shit. where outside tokyo do you live? just make a day of it sometime and go to shimokitozawa (sp). theres like 40 record stores in a 6 block radius. every one has a map to all the others. plenty of og billy joel lps in mint as condition (i must say, the japanese take care of their fucking records)

i was gonna talk some shit on the dude who said billy joel is stellar, but then i realized it was hickey and his tastes are pretty alright so ill just try to agree to disagree with him :-)

on an unrelated note im going to boston for the first time today. hope it rules.

I didn't know that Rhino has rights to Brain Drain. Thanks for the info. Personally I prefer 80s Ramones to 70s Ramones. I love Pleasant Dreams, Too Tough To Die and Animal Boy.

You have many many problems.

nah i dont hate the japanese. i love em. used to live there teaching english. they have terrible taste though. id ask my students what their favorite music was and id get bon jovi, aerosmith, a-ha... just terrible generic shit. where outside tokyo do you live? just make a day of it sometime and go to shimokitozawa (sp). theres like 40 record stores in a 6 block radius. every one has a map to all the others. plenty of og billy joel lps in mint as condition (i must say, the japanese take care of their fucking records)

i was gonna talk some shit on the dude who said billy joel is stellar, but then i realized it was hickey and his tastes are pretty alright so ill just try to agree to disagree with him :-)

on an unrelated note im going to boston for the first time today. hope it rules.

It would appear that way, but come on, anywhere you go the majority of people have a mainstream taste. If Japanese tastes were truly unilateral then I would not be able to get awesome records in Japan, right?

I live in Kawasaki. I've found 3 record shops in Shimokitazawa. Are the other 37 near the station? I've walked all around it..

And by the way, most of today's students all Exile. Who I have never listened to.

Hickey has awesome tastes. I didn't mention it, but my musical diet for the past 15 years has been Ben Weasel/Danny Vapid projects, Billy Joel, Enya and Motown. 60年代の日本のアイドルも大好 き!

You have many many problems.

Wow, maybe this board isn't the nice place I thought it was.

What motivates you to write such words? Judging a stranger because their taste of music doesn't conform to the popular notion of what is good and what is not good?

I looked at your "record nerd" collection. Personally, I would never waste a second of my time listening to those albums, but I would never surmise anything about one's character based their unique (or not so) tastes in music.

Just kidding, you're right, I have many many many problems

The Ramones 180g reissues were terrible. They sounded like shit, they weren't issued with the inserts, and they weren't cheap. Thumbs down.

I thought they sounded great. I don't think I paid more than $12-$14 for any of the 180 gram reissues. Yeah, they didn't have inserts, but if you need lyrics/pictures of the Ramones than you wouldn't be buying Ramones reissues.

The Ramones 180g reissues were terrible. They sounded like shit, they weren't issued with the inserts, and they weren't cheap. Thumbs down.

I thought they sounded great. I don't think I paid more than $12-$14 for any of the 180 gram reissues. Yeah, they didn't have inserts, but if you need lyrics/pictures of the Ramones than you wouldn't be buying Ramones reissues.

I've listened to the Ramones for 22 years and I think for the list price of $17.98 they should have included the inserts regardless if I need the lyrics or not.

I've listened to the Ramones for 22 years and I think for the list price of $17.98 they should have included the inserts regardless if I need the lyrics or not.

Why? Do inserts really make a big difference to people? I can understand if you want lyrics and credits, but otherwise I think inserts are pretty useless.

Why? Do inserts really make a big difference to people? I can understand if you want lyrics and credits, but otherwise I think inserts are pretty useless.

I prefer the records I buy to have them...and really push to include them in my records...it's just a small detail that bugs me too when it's not there(and it does bug me some of my records don't have them) ...even the Ramones sang about the occasional topical subject...so it's nice to have them.

Hickey as the biggest SW fan on the board(at the very least) you have to admit Ben isn't 100% intelligible on all those records, he's a brilliant lyricist and people should be interested in those words and subjects he's singing about.

I prefer the records I buy to have them...and really push to include them in my records...it's just a small detail that bugs me too when it's not there(and it does bug me some of my records don't have them) ...even the Ramones sang about the occasional topical subject...so it's nice to have them.

Hickey as the biggest SW fan on the board(at the very least) you have to admit Ben isn't 100% intelligible on all those records, he's a brilliant lyricist and people should be interested in those words and subjects he's singing about.

I prefer them. But I don't get pissy when an insert isn't included. Like dogbert said, I guess it is lame to reissue a record that originally came with an insert without one. And, I said before, I think they're great for lyrics. Look at the vinyl version of Phase 3 by the Riverdales. The only lyrics on it are for Last Stop Tokyo. Is that insert really useful/necessary?

And yes, some SW lyrics are hard to figure out. Like I said, I can understand wanting inserts for lyrics and credits, but if it's just pictures and other garbage, why bother?

I prefer them. But I don't get pissy when an insert isn't included. Like dogbert said, I guess it is lame to reissue a record that originally came with an insert without one. And, I said before, I think they're great for lyrics. Look at the vinyl version of Phase 3 by the Riverdales. The only lyrics on it are for Last Stop Tokyo. Is that insert really useful/necessary?

And yes, some SW lyrics are hard to figure out. Like I said, I can understand wanting inserts for lyrics and credits, but if it's just pictures and other garbage, why bother?

I listened to Last Stop Tokyo maybe 1000s of times. I got really into the song at a time of my life when everything fell apart "and I [had] no home" and the idea of "Last stop Tokyo" really sunk into my heart.

I'm not saying that I came here because of this song. But it really was the right song I needed at the right time if my life.

Then I read the lyrics and weren't anywhere as awesome as the lyrics I "heard" in the song.

Personally, I did find the lyrics useful because I spent years trying to figure them out.