Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

I never understood that argument. It's only ever about music. I've never once been held to forcing myself to like Sesame Street, which I watched as a little kid, or reading books I did when I was young, or dressing in Oshkosh B'gosh overalls, or even more recent things like political outlooks.

Why is it that just the music I listened to as a stupid 14 year old, and nothing else, has to follow me forever?

Because everything that has ever been musically important to you is what got you to were you are now. I got into Descendents through Mxpx. I got into Desmond Dekker through Rancid. I got into Rites of Spring and Fugazi through Sunny Day Real Estate who I got into because of Far. I got into Elliot Smith through Ben Folds Five. Sunn O)) via Down via Pantera.

No one comes out of the womb a musical genius. Some of us are just honest enough to not pretend we did.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest markovianprocess
Man I'm stoked that this thread didn't get fucking pointless or anything like that.

LOL

How about rather than pre-orders, for every VC record that Virgil wants printed, he could set up a Kickstarter? That means rather than preorders which take 6 months, every record would have a target of how much money it needs to raise in order to print the full amount. We could have PLEDGE $5 get the 7'' in rarest colour, PLEDGE $10 get the 7'' in rarest colour and a set of accessories, PLEDGE $25 get the 7'' plus a collectors pack including a t-shirt, coozie, pint glass, etc. This would mean that you could actively campaign to get the record you want printed faster and it would remove the preorders that everyone seems to hate so much.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waxpancake/kind-of-bloop-an-8-bit-tribute-to-miles-davis

As you can see from the link above, people are willing to back these sorts of things.

Ok kids...here are the new rules of punk rock. Come along:

1. Start a band

2. Start a label

3. Sign some pretty good bands

4. Tour (But don't make any money, that would be wrong. Only eat what's from a dumpster or given to you for free)

5. Along with your band's merch, set up a distro at shows -- THIS IS IMPORTANT

6. ??

7. Jeff Nelson mansion!!!!!!

Or, if that's too many steps, here's the easier version:

1. Ape Dischord Records' model.

2. ??

3. Jeff Neslon mansion!!!!!

I think we all agree that this is easy and the only way you'll fail at this is if you're lazy, unmotivated and just don't care about the music.

FOOTNOTE: This is sarcasm, folks. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Let's try to have a little fun and not take ourselves too seriously around here.

1. Start a band

2. Start a label

4. Tour (But don't make any money, that would be wrong. Only eat what's from a dumpster or given to you for free)

6. ??

2. ??

I think we all agree that this is easy and the only way you'll fail at this is if you're lazy, unmotivated and just don't care about the music.

FOOTNOTE: This is sarcasm, folks. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Let's try to have a little fun and not take ourselves too seriously around here.

I think your formula lacks mohawks and bondage pants.

1. Start a band

2. Start a label

6. ??

2. ??

I think those were both included in the ?? step as well as safety pinned jean jackets with the arms cut off and nifty little punk rock pins on the lapels.

1. Start a band

2. Start a label

6. ??

2. ??

Shit. I knew I was missing something. God dammit!!! I forgot the bondage pants...the mohawks I left out because I couldn't remember the exact height required to be a true DIY punk and I didn't want to steer the kiddies wrong.

Hey Toby, are you going to be at the Teenage Bottlerocket/Cobra Skulls/Banner Pilot show in Boston (Cambridge, actually)? We can compare mohawks and see who has more punk points.

I think those were both included in the ?? step as well as safety pinned jean jackets with the arms cut off and nifty little punk rock pins on the lapels.

Man, I really didn't include enough in my formula.

Sorry everyone!

The lapel pins are interesting, because they can in no way reflect any band or label you supported when you were young. Instead, they have to be of the flavor of the month. Showing your allegience to bands, labels, etc...that aren't as cool as they used to be results in a dramatic loss of punk points and hense reduces your chance at a Jeff Nelson mansion (which is really the end goal here, right?).

Hey Toby, are you going to be at the Teenage Bottlerocket/Cobra Skulls/Banner Pilot show in Boston (Cambridge, actually)? We can compare mohawks and see who has more punk points.

I will NOT be on those dates actually. (And nor will my distro as a result, d'oh!) I am leaving the tour for a week because I need to be back in Chicago for Red Oktoberfest. Bummed about missing Boston, Philly, and Toronto, those are great towns.

I will NOT be on those dates actually. (And nor will my distro as a result, d'oh!) I am leaving the tour for a week because I need to be back in Chicago for Red Oktoberfest. Bummed about missing Boston, Philly, and Toronto, those are great towns.

Dammit. I was going to try to sucker you into bringing me one of the Lawrence Arms singles in exchange for a cold, tasty beer. (Not that you would have, but I can hope, right?)

also anyone who has never seen a distro at a show is either not a punk or is too dumb to figure out what those boxes of other bands' records are

Take out that last part. If you haven't seen a distro you are definitely not a punk, case closed. Distro = punk. Punk = distro. Distros are the new bondage pants, and if you ain't got one, forget about it, kids.

also anyone who has never seen a distro at a show is either not a punk or is too dumb to figure out what those boxes of other bands' records are

Take out that last part. If you haven't seen a distro you are definitely not a punk, case closed. Distro = punk. Punk = distro. Distros are the new bondage pants, and if you ain't got one, forget about it, kids.

I'm gonna start bringing a distro to shows just to spite you on this.

up teh ponx