Windows 7

looks like you would be able to. with XP you can buy the upgrade, but technically you don't upgrade it, it'd be a fresh install. how much drive space do you have? i think you need atleast 16 GB of free space to do the install

is drive space just my hardrive?

i have a 120 gb hd

and i would have to back up everything and after i install 7 it would be like turning on a new computer right?

Yes, if I were you, to be extra cautious back up your most important files on an external harddrive, cdrw, or dvdrw just to be safe.

What is the reasoning for the fresh install instead of just upgrading?

A lot of folks frown on upgrading Windows, just because of how programs install all over the place and other reasons. I've personally never had problems upgrading, but it is nice to do a fresh install here and there to get the most out of your computer and get rid of a lot of old junk. Programs like CCleaner help minimize the reasons for a full install, but it's still nice.

i got a free copy through my school. The department of computer science here has an academic alliance with microsoft, and since i'm in computer science i can get pretty much any microsoft software for free (with the exception of most of Microsoft office, which is annoying as hell). Still I end up getting two product keys for Windows 7 because i can install one copy of 64 bit and one of 32 bit, and they use the same product keys.

I would say if you like Windows Vista you should definitely get Windows 7. Its like Vista without the bugs and software problems.

For whoever it was that was wondering why everyone hates Vista, well its mainly the compatibility issues it has with everything. First of all my sidebar would always throw an error and not boot every time i ran it. Second of all it wouldn't support my 8800 GTS graphics card i bought to put on it. I liked the OS.

I did have one problem with Windows 7. It randomly decided my cd/dvd reader/burner was only a cd/dvd reader. So every time i tried to burn a disc on itunes my computer would crash, and whenever i tried to do it in WMP it would say i had no burner installed. So i had to uninstall the random entry for only the reader in my hardware. Now I have no entry so a cd/dvd drive of any kind in my hardware but everything works fine. Its annoying but whatever. I love how the OS looks and feels and a lot of the features. I love how it handles the taskbar in every way.

For $8 its definitely worth it. I should note I did a clean install. Even if you do do a clean install I'm pretty sure it just saves all your files in a folder called windows.old or something. I certainly wouldn't trust that working but its something worth noting i guess.

So my computer with XP essentially crashed. Had the people at DePaul (my girlfriend works there) install Windows 7 over it. It was a trial version (had to pay for it by March). However, I had some serious issues with compatibility. My soundcard didn't work properly with it, nor could I find drivers that would work. It would play audio but distort heavily and cut in and out. Video files would do the same thing - they'd distort the audio AND the video. So there was a video card issue as well. Also, I have two monitors but couldn't figure out a way to get it to recognize the second monitor. I looked online and according to everything I could find it just is supposed to show up and you set it up easily. No dice.

So, since nothing really wanted to work on this, I tried to re-install Windows XP and for whatever reason, that's all fucked up and won't install or boot properly. So now I'm in a no man's land with a desktop that won't work at all.

What the hell should I do about this? Will the full version of Windows 7 actually work or are my video and sound cards so old that I have no chance?

So my computer with XP essentially crashed. Had the people at DePaul (my girlfriend works there) install Windows 7 over it. It was a trial version (had to pay for it by March). However, I had some serious issues with compatibility. My soundcard didn't work properly with it, nor could I find drivers that would work. It would play audio but distort heavily and cut in and out. Video files would do the same thing - they'd distort the audio AND the video. So there was a video card issue as well. Also, I have two monitors but couldn't figure out a way to get it to recognize the second monitor. I looked online and according to everything I could find it just is supposed to show up and you set it up easily. No dice.

So, since nothing really wanted to work on this, I tried to re-install Windows XP and for whatever reason, that's all fucked up and won't install or boot properly. So now I'm in a no man's land with a desktop that won't work at all.

What the hell should I do about this? Will the full version of Windows 7 actually work or are my video and sound cards so old that I have no chance?

You're computer must be an early Windows XP comp. I have serious compatibility issues with my soundcard. i have 5.1. Vista would only play 2 channels and Windows 7 only plays 2.1 channels. I'd say you're fucked if it didn't work on the trial. It really has nothing to do with Windows, whoever manufactures your soundcard or video card has simply quit supporting it. I would personally replace them, but if that isn't an option i would say you'll have to stick with XP.

I guess if you're kind of tech savvy you could take a look for third party drivers, depending on what kind of hardware you actually have, or just make sure their aren't any updated drivers that Windows isn't finding for some reason.

He didn't install a "trail" version. He installed a Release Candidate (RC) version. The RCs had an expiration date and they weren't the final retail versions.

You probably had to update your drivers.

you shoulda run this first

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displayLang=en

it tests the compatibility of your computer w/ windows 7

i was guna get it but it said it would have problems w/ my graphics card

Well, it's a moot point. I couldn't test the compatibility with my computer because my computer had totally crashed. Couldn't do shit.

Also, I tried to update the drivers. I searched near and far for them. I couldn't find any that worked with Windows 7. My computer is a pretty old Sony Vaio. It was top notch at the time (dual DVD drives, one is a DVDR, decent hard drive, RAM, etc. but obviously all that shit is weak now compared to what is out there) I think I'll just get a legit copy of XP and re-install.