XP networking help needed - will pay with records!

If you can help me with this issue quickly and efficiently, I will pay you with any two records of your choosing at www.forgeagainrecords.com on either the RELEASES or DISTRO page. Your choice.

My computer took a shit. I re-installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 as it was the only version I could get ahold of. So my computer was wiped and started from scratch. It is up and running but I can't figure out how the fuck to get it connected to the internet. I am running AT+T DSL through a 2Wire Homeportal 1000SW modem/wireless router (the modem has it built in). The network is up and running perfectly. I am on it right now. The wireless works flawlessly, and I can access the modem through any of my wireless devices without issue. My desktop computer (the one that just had XP re-installed) is plugged into the modem directly through an Ethernet cable. I can't manage to get a fucking IP on my desktop. I've run the command prompt, and ipconfig and I get a blank. The lights on my modem are all green and good to go. I assume there is something I am forgetting here. If you can help, hit me on AIM: JWEXLER any time tonight.

What I would like to accomplish before I kill somebody:

1. Connect my desktop to the internet.

2. Share the printers connected to my desktop so that they'll work with all of my wireless devices (laptops, really).

I tried AT+T and they're fucking useless. This is an issue with my computer, not their network, so they want to charge me to send somebody out here. I'm guessing somebody who knows what they're doing could fix this in 2 minutes. If that's you and you want free records. Hit me up ASAP.

Guest eriathomas

I'd try "'ipconfig /renew" or "'ipconfig /release", to see if it'll renew an ip address with the router. Also try restarting the router, if you have not yet.

I don't know much about computers, so I probably can't help, but I know that sometimes my computer will not connect to the internet if there are important updates that are waiting to be installed. It probably won't work, but try running windows updater and see if there's something you need and install if if you can.

If you have DSL through AT&T and have that hooked into a router to share internet between connections, you need to set the modem into "Bridged Internet" mode.

What is the make/model of your DSL modem?

Also make sure your Router is set to PPoE mode instead of DHCP. You will need to give it your at&t.net account name and password.

I wouldn't do that. DHCP should handle the problem fine. It's the drivers. If he reinstalled everything he didn't get the proper drivers.

It's possible DHCP is turned off on his router. Mine is.

Even if DCHP is turned off windows still assigns it a 169.254 address. He says his is blank. I'm still putting my money on the driver.

It's possible DHCP is turned off on his router. Mine is.

Even if DCHP is turned off windows still assigns it a 169.254 address. He says his is blank. I'm still putting my money on the driver.

Backing this again too. It has to be the issue. I just did a new install of XP SP2 w/out any drivers on a machine at work to see what would happen and this exact same scenario occurred.

Haha shit, sorry I forgot to even look at this after mediocre helped me out that night.

I installed a copy of XP that didn't come with my computer - no clue what happened to the one I used to have. As a result, DING DING DING the drivers were screwy. Had to get the correct one. Took care of it. Problem solved. Thanks for the discussion though dudes!