"Selling Out" Discussion.

chaps

I think the idea of selling out is going to become a thing of the past. Discuss.

Copied from my http://www.farewellparty.tumblr.com rant

""Selling Out" in my opinion is going to become a thing of the past and is already on its way out. The opportunities and even the chances for this to happen are becoming slimmer and slimmer.

In todays day and age the music industry as we know it has been flipped upside down on its head. Major labels are losing money ever year, physical tangible product (cds, etc) sales are slipping more and more every year. I've done a ton of reading on the subject because I find it very interesting that a model for releasing "music" via mainstream collapsed and fell so hard so fast. This was an industry that not to long ago sold cds for $18.99 making huge profits of people and the over charging caught up. If labels consistently sold CDs for $10, which is a reasonable price for both band, label and consumer I don't think it would have fallen so hard.

I am currently reading a book entitled "The Pirates Dilemma". It talks of the rise of pirate radio stations in europe in the mid 1900's and the effect on american culture and business today. I'm not finished but I can see where he is going.

With the rise of the home printer, computer, internet and a plethora of other technologies, you can run your own business right from your own. The audience to which business target is becoming smaller and smaller everyday, therefore your business must target amore niche market, even smaller than before.

The next big leap that is talked about in this book is the invention of 3D printers, this will be the nail in the coffin for big business. Working prototypes have already been built, I won't go into it to much. Long story short in the future you will download and "print" your own sneakers you buy on nike.com, in essence a home manufacturing "printer". The possibilities of this are endless for people with a DIY mentality.

Business has been becoming more "DIY" for years and in the future its only going to become smaller and smaller, major corporations will get smaller and smaller and die off if they don't adjust.

I truly believe this same model is going to pan itself out for the "music industry"

What is it that a bands/labels do? Write Songs, Play Shows, Record and put out said recordings. 4/4 a band can do 100% of those by themselves. And as the power of the major label declines, the chances of a band getting "picked up" by a major decline and even if they do chances of "success" are slimmer. So the chances of "selling out" are becoming less and less. With the help of a smaller independent label the need for help from a bigger label is almost nonexistent.

Getting booked on a major stadium tour? Forget it. Live Nation lost TONS of money this summer because one band does not please the masses anymore. Going to smaller shows is becoming more and more mainstream. You will see next summer the number of tour promotors willing to put their neck on the line for a tour is going to be smaller and smaller.

As all of this major label and and the reaching mainstream influence decline, the chances for bands to make "questionable" decisions (IE major product placement, making to much $$ or whatever your definition of selling out is) will also decline.

I think in the future DIY will rule. Bands will work with small labels as they are now. Figuring out new and sustanable measures. And for the labels who get greedy like those before them? They will fail as well.

As the major label declines and continually banks on selling people "digital" its opening up a vast audience of music listeners who are willing to buy music, real physical products. The interest in small DIY communities is up, attendence at small "affordable" shows is up. This idea of bands performing music, labels helping bands to release, promote and distribute the recordings and people paying for them is becoming more and more a community effort.

I'm really excited about where the music "industry" is headed. I really am hoping I'm right and it does become more of people supporting smaller bands and labels as the majors decline. The old model didn't work. It was one that was heavy set on ideals that would be considered "selling out".

We'll see.

Up the punx."

Honestly, I think major labels will end up doing better than they did before. The reason? A CD that costs $14.99 was sold to the store for around $10. That was sold to a distributor for around $7. Subtract the costs to press the CD, costs to ship it, and store it you're probably less than $6. The producer and band probably get $.50 of that, so they're at around $5 profit.

Now they're selling digital albums for $9.99, which is nearly all profit. iTunes takes a decent chunk, but they could create their own online distribution means and eliminate that.

I think bands will continue to sign to major labels because they can promote and finance things they simply will never be able to.

By the way, this 3D printing stuff is nonsense. It sounds like an idea from one of those silly "this is how the future will be" short films. You can "print" a shoe.

3D printers would still require input of a lot energy, I would imagine, along with raw materials. I don't think its coming soon or easily. I mean a pair of shoes have rubber, leather, cotton cloth, all kinds of raw requirements you'd have to load in to the printer.

As for major labels, they're figure their shit or someone else will and take over the lion's share of revenue.