Alkaline Trio signs w/ Epitaph new album/old sound

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say garbage is a harsh descriptor. Without a past to compare to, the records they released would be better received as they were not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Maybe with some folks, but that's not how I listen to music. I judge by the now, not what they used to be. I tend to welcome change in bands as a means of switching things up.

That being said, I found Crimson and whatever the last album was titled to be absolute garbage.

Ok, fair enough, I trust you're being honest but I would hold the following songs are good rock songs:

1) Calling All Skeletons

2) Help Me

3) In Vein

4) Over and Out

5) Smoke

6) I Was A Prayer

7) Mercy Me

8) Burn

9) Time to Waste

All solid, for me, a huge Trio fan. All are even better live

I really liked Crimson, Agony and Irony not so much but it's still no where near as bad as people make out.

Think i'm looking forward to hearing this more so than when they announced A&I. I can't help feeling however it turns out people are still going to hate on it like they did with A&I.

I just hope that the title of the new record is another pun a la From Here to Infirmary, Good Mourning, Church and Destroy (Crimson's working title), and Agony & Irony.

While I think Agony & Irony is the weakest of their oeuvre, "Love Love, Kiss Kiss," may be in my top five Alkaline Trio songs.

I have no problem admitting that I celebrate their entire catalog. Agony & Irony had some real good songs that I'd totally put my perfect Trio mixtape - but it also had a lot of songs I don't even listen to unless I'm spinning the record. Crimson was more solid than not, but the classically strong song writing began to show the cracks Agony & Irony full exposed.

But I still get giddy as fuck when I read anything about the new album. It has nothing to do about what is said either - until I hear the record, I don't give a shit what anyone says the album/songs sound like because it seems to never be an accurate assessment - I'm happy just to be reminded that its still coming along.

Its cool, I know I'm lame - hence the username. ;)