Label Completists

The concept of a complete label collection is neat for sure, especially for dedicated collectors (people into the thrill of collecting). Definitely seems appealing for compulsive completionists. But it at the same time seems a bit irrational, because surely you aren't going to like every release from a label. I had never heard of something like that until I saw the "Post a PIC Of Your Collection (Band or Label ONLY)" thread. Looking at my collection, the label I have the most records for is Hydra Head, and with that I only have 26 different releases, not including variants and CDs and the like. and then, most of those releases are between HH66612-50. I have a lot of catching up to do, ha! What Juan and circlingvultures mentioned, Deathwish and Robotic Empire, would be pretty tight collections, and a Southern Lord collection not too shabby either.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely seems appealing for compulsive completionists. But it at the same time seems a bit irrational, because surely you aren't going to like every release from a label. quote]

true, but maybe not for everyone. i know for me there are a few asian man releases that i could have done without hearing. 2 of them really...however stuff that i didn't think i would enjoy u ended up truly loving....ahrio for instance...not many people know that it is really mike park singing with 3 dudes from japan. mike had never heard the songs and the night he heard them...worte lyrics and recorded. and it's good...

being ocd myself...i find it hard to just say no when i know something isn't in place (ie not in my collection and needs to be) but thats what makes it fun!

back when there was only about 120 No Idea releases, I had about 100 of them.

then they really stepped on the gas as far as releasing shit goes, and I didn't want to keep up.

The concept of a complete label collection is neat for sure, especially for dedicated collectors (people into the thrill of collecting). Definitely seems appealing for compulsive completionists. But it at the same time seems a bit irrational, because surely you aren't going to like every release from a label. I had never heard of something like that until I saw the "Post a PIC Of Your Collection (Band or Label ONLY)" thread. Looking at my collection, the label I have the most records for is Hydra Head, and with that I only have 26 different releases, not including variants and CDs and the like. and then, most of those releases are between HH66612-50. I have a lot of catching up to do, ha! What Juan and circlingvultures mentioned, Deathwish and Robotic Empire, would be pretty tight collections, and a Southern Lord collection not too shabby either.

See thats why i dont feel bad at all for collecting traffic street or its alive because there really are no bad albums from them. of course there is stuff that i like more than others but i still like em all.

i couldn never get into them, and gave up a while back... dont think i have tried to listen to them in atleast a year or two.

I didn't like the Soviettes either, but one time I saw them play and they got to the show like 3 hours late and basically rrushed in loaded right onto stage and threw down and played, and it was so no bull-shit, all adrenaline, they were fuckig amazing, they played everything way too fast and fuckin a it was awesome, every other time was boring.

Sturgeons songs on the Gateway District LP are awesome though...

I think that a few of my regular Australian customers are damn close to having a full UC Discography.

I've always like the idea of having select discographies from labels, like i have A LOT of No Idea stuff, but i don't care about against me, so I'll have that hole.

Dischord would be awesome, but I don't like a lot of the weirder indie stuff they've done like Shudder to Think, the Make Up, Beefeater...

same with Fat Wreck, I could never get into Strung Out, I've tried buying Lagwagon records and I just don't get why people like those records, I just bought Double Plaidinum so I need to listen to that but that might be the last one I buy... I only really got into NoFx when they got "serious" or at least less stupid...

I have just about everything from Columbus Discount Records.

If I didnt live in Columbus I doubt I would try, just fun to have full documentation of a certain city scene.

I need a copy of Times New Viking - Busy Making Love and War if anyone wants to help me out.

Interesting note, the newest 7" - "it was recorded onto 1/4" 8-track at the bands funeral home practice space, mixed to a 1/4" Ampex 2-track at Musicol Recording and the laquor for the record was cut from the master tape with no digital delay in the mastering chain, making it the first totally analog recording we have released. "

I almost had a complete Sub Pop collection up to a certain point, but ended up getting rid of most of it. The releases just got more and more pathetic and boring. I kept all of the early singles and would like to get every 7" up to SP100.

Whoever had that Man's Ruin collection going, let me know what you're looking for. I saw a ton of Man's Ruin 7"s at my record store for pretty cheap.

I collect Crucial Response and his predecessor Anti-Schelski records. This is a European hardcore punk label that started out in 1987 and still is going strong. They have currently 79 releases, with all different pressings and stuff it are now around 300 records. I am also trying to get the test presses.

I have been trying to complete this for over six years now, but it gets harder every time, but I am getting pretty close.

For a bunch of old pictures from a year and half ago:

http://www.thecollectionspace.com/collections/search/tag/crucial%20response

There's a big difference between buying every release from a label and collecting all of the variants from a label.

I have one of everything It's Alive has put out and each record is good (most are great). I don't have every variant of every record It's Alive put out.

Once the new Trouble In Mind records show up I'll have all of them (only 8 7"s, but it's a start). And so far those have all been good.

I've been kicking around getting one of everything on Douchemaster (I haven't been let down by that label). Rob's House too.

I'm all for label collections, they're pretty cool. I'm not a variant guy when it comes to labels, but to each his own.

That Billy Bob guy's colored Fat Wreck collection is THE SHIZNIT!

I've been kicking around getting one of everything on Douchemaster (I haven't been let down by that label). Rob's House too.

I've been thinking about this too since with recent orders I've gotten all the back records still available from both of these labels. But they seem to be pretty tough to find. Not a big surprise I guess.

Eventually you just get stuck on ebay looking for obscure records no one ever puts up. like desert sessions 7 and 8.

but yes, my Southern Lord collection is awesome. its 70 percent complete. which is a lot, what kind of annoys me is the points. like they'll put out a cassette of grimrobes and it'll be SUNN37.5 or something.

My Vagrant collection pretty much got me into collecting records. But then Cobraside came along and the label went in too many different directions (and I stopped listening to emo). I wanted to do Asian Man at one point because I had so many, but not really anymore.

Right now I'm collecting Red Scare. I have an out of date pic in the collection thread; I need to post another. The only thing I'm missing is also the most expensive: Lillingtions Death By Television. The collection would be too easy if I didn't count the Panic Button stuff!

As far as liking everything, there was a time when the only bands I didn't like on Vagrant were Face To Face and RFTC. Now they're my favorites! I still don't have any RFTC vinyl though. With Red Scare I can safely say I love every band. Even The Riptides! Well, maybe just that "Detention" song. I guess I don't have to worry about them anymore, but I'm still gonna pick up the new one.

Hey yo!

I'm one of the people collecting Man's Ruin. I need to update my photos, as the last one's I submitted were out of date and shitty as hell.

BUT, I am fairly close to completing my collection!

10" Church Of Misery - Murder Company MR-131, purpleV

10" Hookers - S/T MR-109, green-marbled

10" Orange Goblin - Nuclear Guru MR-084, orangeV

10" The Heads - Delwyn's Conkers MR-041, orangeV

12" BARKMARKET - Peacekeeper

Oh... so... close!

These pop up on eBay from time to time but I always seem to get sniped. Let me know if you can help!

ps - I need a few of the Desert Sessions as well, I'm just not quite ready to drop $1000 for a couple of records... YET!

C

I collect everything on No Idea, Kiss Of Death, Traffic Street, No Breaks, Dirt Cult, It's Alive. Some are a lot more complete than others!!!

Was it you that posted pics your collection with one whole expedit set aside for No Idea records? That's an impressive (and expensive) endeavor.