What's your desktop wallpaper??

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scriptedrain
still...joke or no joke, it's just so much better. my family had pc's from the time i was eight until i was 22 but i would never go back.

Why's that?

because they're awesome. they're more stable, more attractive, more user-friendly, less susceptible to viruses and crashes and shit...

QFT. though the only disadvantages i've experienced while using a mac are that lots of programs aren't available on the mac platform, plus i've had troubles with playing certain videos. also, you can't find programs you can borrow from the internet... unless i'm just not looking in the right places.

because they're awesome. they're more stable, more attractive, more user-friendly, less susceptible to viruses and crashes and shit...

QFT. though the only disadvantages i've experienced while using a mac are that lots of programs aren't available on the mac platform, plus i've had troubles with playing certain videos. also, you can't find programs you can borrow from the internet... unless i'm just not looking in the right places.

what kind of programs are you looking to 'borrow' and you can't find?

i've found just about any program i need. but i did do some searching...

Guest scriptedrain

More stable? I can't speak for others, but my PC has never crashed and never been affected by viruses.

More attractive? That's your opinion and I respect that. I've never really compared the two because there are so many brands of PCs (and all the ones I've owned, aside from this HP laptop, are custom built by my dad). I'm not a fan of the soap bar mouse, though.

More user-friendly? How so? As a long-time PC user yourself, I'm interested in hearing your answer (and not just the answer of a lifelong Mac fanatic).

Windows vs. Mac arguments are pointless in 2008.

Yes, Macs are more stable and look better physically. The OS is a thing of beauty and you never have to deal with viruses or spyware.

PCs are a lot more open in terms of what you can do with them. They're a little easier to break but if you know what you're doing you should be safe. I've been using computers since I was 5 and have followed Windows from 3.1 to Vista and I've never had a virus or big problem.

However...

You also have to take into consideration that Linux is more stable than both. It can also be more attractive than both in terms of looks of the OS and applications. It is faster, stronger -- it also doesn't need to worry about viruses or spyware.

In 2008 it's all about what you prefer more, there's nothing that is 100% better than the other.

I will note, my parents had to get a new computer recently and I dreaded the nightmare of using Windows Vista. So I had them purchase an iMac and they have had zero problems within one week of use. That # would be a lot higher if they were using Windows Vista.

in answer to the user-friendly question:

i'm not really sure how to explain it, to be honest. once you get past the obvious differences (ie: soap bar mouse w/ one button) it just makes a lot more sense. if you want to either install or get rid of programs you just drag an icon into or out of a folder. there's no miniscule files hiding somewhere in a place most people would never be able to figure out how to get to, parts of them don't get buried away somewhere where it's impossible to delete them. the taskbar is fluid and invisible when you want it to be and fully customizable. the search/spotlight function actually works in a tangible, accurate way without confusing you with a plethora of parameters. the widgets add an incredible amount of customization and usefulness at the touch of a button. and i'm not even using the latest iteration, which allows you to do a whole fuckload more.

i don't know, i'm sure i'm missing a ton of stuff, but that's what comes to mind.