Record store annoyance

faith

last time I was at extreme noise, I believe they were listening to a comedy vinyl (not sure who it was, but it was enjoyable to listen to... and EXTREME!)... I just wish they had more records that I wanted, because I'd love to support them. I can't say that I like how they open all of the records and just have cardboard in the sleeves on display (makes me feel like I'm buying used records instead of new), but I understand why they do it...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last time I was at extreme noise, I believe they were listening to a comedy vinyl (not sure who it was, but it was enjoyable to listen to... and EXTREME!)... I just wish they had more records that I wanted, because I'd love to support them. I can't say that I like how they open all of the records and just have cardboard in the sleeves on display (makes me feel like I'm buying used records instead of new), but I understand why they do it...

Why the hell do they do that? To prevent stealing? who steals LPs?

Why the hell do they do that? To prevent stealing? who steals LPs?

that would be my guess... it seems like a fairly bad part of town (it is next to a saddle shop, which is never a good sign), so maybe something has happened in the past.

Reckless Records in Chicago does this too, and honestly it's a lot easier to sort through them that way. And they won't get damaged as much.

Some "record" stores don't even play records anymore, they just have an IPOD on shuffle. You'd think they'd want to showcase what they have available.

I went to Welfare Records in Haverhill Mass, they had awesome records, but no music on. I think the guy was watching like Andromeda or Deep Space Nine on his laptop. Kinda bizaare, I guess he was bored.

Some "record" stores don't even play records anymore, they just have an IPOD on shuffle. You'd think they'd want to showcase what they have available.

I went to Welfare Records in Haverhill Mass, they had awesome records, but no music on. I think the guy was watching like Andromeda or Deep Space Nine on his laptop. Kinda bizaare, I guess he was bored.

if you've ever worked at a record store this is absolutely true! It can get suuuuper boring and sometimes you just don't wanna listen to music.

We don't keep the records in the sleeves at Reckless because people will steal anything not nailed down. We used to keep the records in the sleeves if they were 1.99 or 1.00, but when we did inventory last year, we found that lots of them had been stolen, so no more.

RE: music being played - you have to remember that you're in the store for maybe an hour or so, and music is being played for (in Reckless' case) 12 hours straight, so you're only going to hear a tiny sample of what gets played all day long.

RE: iPods at used record stores. We all take turns playing music, and yeah, I see the point of wanting to showcase what you have for sale, but sometimes it's really fucking busy and you don't want to be bothered with switching CDs or flipping LPs.

extreme noise is one of the best things about this city. while yes they tend to play a lot of crust in the store, but the dudes working are always super into it and conversing on all the smallest details and i dig that.

i used to work at a some goody and my experience was more akin too sharkticon's. so really, let the guys (who are volunteers by the way) at extreme noise have their fun while they're working.

This. We are extremely lucky to have EN, and have people willing to volunteer their time there.

Yeah, they play a lot of crust. I have never heard any super aggressive hardcore, but my idea and your idea of that are probably different Faith. Also, Crust and Hardcore are a part of punk rock. Especially in Mpls. Always has been.

I've never heard it too loud. Places like the super hipster indie stores always seem to have whatever schlocky acoustic scarf wearing music they're listening to at about twice the levels that EN does. At least around here.

I'll agree though, if it's so loud, I can't concentrate, I'll leave, regardless of whatever genre they've got going.

If i go to a Metal Record Store, my ears better be hurting when i'm inside.

Carcass should only be played at the maximum volume.

Carcass, or some band that you would never be able to pronounce the name of or read the name and the clerk would have to laugh at you and not tell you the name of the band...said clerk must be wearing at minimum: leather, studded wrist-band gauntlets, preferably full fore-arm gauntlets with spikes.

If i go to a Metal Record Store, my ears better be hurting when i'm inside.

Carcass should only be played at the maximum volume.

Carcass, or some band that you would never be able to pronounce the name of or read the name and the clerk would have to laugh at you and not tell you the name of the band...said clerk must be wearing at minimum: leather, studded wrist-band gauntlets, preferably full fore-arm gauntlets with spikes.

I want to go to there...

I want to go to there...

Come to Chicago and I will take you to Metal Haven (the store)...this is a real place and this is how you're treated if you're not a regular.

I want to go to there...

I once went to a black metal record store in germany.

dude was in corpse paint.

i took pictures!

Most record stores made up of 3 constant things

1) Hipster Employees ( of course stores that cater to specific genres ie. metal will have the genre's equivalent), usualy early 20's thinks he is better than you and knows more about music because I puts price stickers on records all day. Subtly condescending and if two or more of them are there you can bet your ass that as soon as you leave something you said, bought, did or wore will be made fun of.

2) Awful music, that is because of #1. Because they are better than and they know more about music than you ever will they also like the most obscure bands ever and there is usually a reason these bands are so obscure. That reason is usually that they suck.

3) Jaded Soon to be a senior citizen owner. This guy opened his first store 35+ years ago because after following the grateful dead around for the past few summers he couldn't settle down and get a 9-5 office job. Then the 80s went by and the digital music hell that was the 90s relegated him to a smaller store in a shittier part of town, this boom in vinyl production and sales has been a gold mine sine he can charge stupid kids 15-20 dollars for copies of platinum selling LPs from the 70s. While he may seem friendly and cool at first he certainly doesn't care about whatever indie band is being played by his employees or whatever crap you are looking for, he put in his time keeping up to date with music now he is just trying to get the money his missed out on in the 90s and rightfully so.