Record store annoyance

faith

The last two four posts are spot on. I love going into record stores because a lot of the time I am not familiar with what is being played, which usually leads me to discover new tunes. Also, being a gigging musician probably makes the volume of said music being played not as big of an issue for me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad my local record store doesn't fit into those categories. I love you, Crooked Beat.

Owner is super nice and has lots of great stories about a lot of great (obscure and not) bands.

Employees make recommendations based on the customer's purchases (generally not too obscure, either)

Last three records they were playing when I went in: Nirvana's Bleach, Misfits' Walk Among Us, and John Vanderslice's Emerald City.

the only thing that urks me in a record store generally is when shit isn't priced. i dont want to find a gem and have you go looking it up to tell me how much im paying. Price the damn things.. or else im not going to spend my time combing through everything.

i do however love condescending record store clerks who look down on everyone.

Most record stores made up of 3 constant things

1) Hipster Employees ( of course stores that cater to specific genres ie. metal will have the genre's equivalent), usualy early 20's thinks he is better than you and knows more about music because I puts price stickers on records all day. Subtly condescending and if two or more of them are there you can bet your ass that as soon as you leave something you said, bought, did or wore will be made fun of.

2) Awful music, that is because of #1. Because they are better than and they know more about music than you ever will they also like the most obscure bands ever and there is usually a reason these bands are so obscure. That reason is usually that they suck.

3) Jaded Soon to be a senior citizen owner. This guy opened his first store 35+ years ago because after following the grateful dead around for the past few summers he couldn't settle down and get a 9-5 office job. Then the 80s went by and the digital music hell that was the 90s relegated him to a smaller store in a shittier part of town, this boom in vinyl production and sales has been a gold mine sine he can charge stupid kids 15-20 dollars for copies of platinum selling LPs from the 70s. While he may seem friendly and cool at first he certainly doesn't care about whatever indie band is being played by his employees or whatever crap you are looking for, he put in his time keeping up to date with music now he is just trying to get the money his missed out on in the 90s and rightfully so.

I know you said "most," but that doesn't make up for the fact that you sound:

a) like a moron who doesn't appreciate an indie store still being in business, and

B) like a moron who wishes he could get a job at an indie record store but never will because he's already stereotyped everyone in it and everything about them.

amazon.com

buncha wimps in this thread.

"oh, they are playing extreme music at an extreme volume. unless they start playing (insert alt-country band or singer/songwriter here) quietly, I'll hate this place forever."

at least Hoffa and Hijack bring some sense into this discussion.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':cajw9ae6]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':cajw9ae6]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

booo. EXTREME noise means EXTREME noise. end of discussion. i wouldn't expect anything less than that from them!

we have a shitload of hipster record stores in the twin cities. can't complain. can't find everything ever at each store but you can find a good variety at decent prices.

Extreme Noise, Cheapo, Treehouse, Electric Fetus, Eclipse, Know Name, Fifth Element, etc.

they all have their characteristics of these complaints. i've been to each place and found a record i wanted. that's basically all that matters.

Every record store I've visited usually plays some crazy variety.

Love Garden here in Lawrence plays the usual "new hipness" (XX, Yo La Tengo, et al), along with African psych comps, Def Leppard, and whatever else floats their boat. Kief's across the street is pretty much garage rock 90% of the time.

But, seriously: record stores have personalities. I hit up End of An Ear or Breakaway in Austin, and I know that what they'll be jamming will be totally different than Waterloo. Generation in New York's gonna be rocking punk or metal, and Other's probably going to play something WAY obscure. I'm not there for the music they're playing, I'm there for the music they're selling.