Record store annoyance

faith

It seems that every time I go to an independant record store, they play the shittiest music ever (in my humble opinion)

Montreal's SoundCentral and X20 always play super aggressive hardcore that make me want to just GTFO of the store after 10 minutes

Minneapolis' Extreme Noise (even though there's a big PUNK ROCK sign on their logo) always plays either agressive, screaming hardcore or noise that no sane person could ever qualify as music

And whenever I happen to stop by Roadrunner Records in Minneapolis, its during a "live show" where a weird dude just makes distorted sounds out of a clarinette or saxophone for an hour straight.

Ugh. I don't like going into a store and feeling attacked by the 'music'. At least turn the fucking volume down! I try to be somewhat open minded about music, but this is unbearable to me and has seriously modified my record shopping habits. Where I used to go to stores at least once a week, it has now gone down to once every 3-4 months and the rest of the time, I buy records online while listening to something that won't make me want to punch the first person I see in the face.

/rant

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a frequent visitor to EN, I much prefer that to the schlocky indie hipster BS that spews at just about every other place. If I wanted to listen to soft rock, I'd go to the dentist. Cheapo, Treehouse, Electric Fetus are all guilty of this.

If there was some happy medium, I'd be all for it.

I hope EN stays the same. There's something comforting about walking in there after 15+ years, and still hearing crustcore.

if i walked into a record store called 'extreme noise' i would expect and hope to hear actual noise once i entered.

I would be disappointed if I didn't.

http://www.extremenoise.com/ look at the banner on the site, its the banner displayed in front of the store too

if anything, I should be disappointed they play anything BUT punk rock :P heh

I don't really mind the music generally, but I hate it when the workers think they are incredibly awesome and you can just tell when you're checking out that they think your taste in music sucks. I really miss the record store that I grew up shopping at. It was tiny, but the owner was almost always the one working, and he was incredibly awesome. Listened to just about everything, and would let you play stuff over the stereo if there was something you wanted to hear, assuming it wasn't sealed.

Dudes are at work. They should listen to whatever they want. Surely that's one of the perks of working at a record store. I work at a bar that has an Internet jukebox, with hundreds of thousands of songs to pick from, and people still pick the same stuff daily. I choose not to criticize the music that plays at my local record store (which is hit or miss, IMO). Instead I feel glad that they can play whatever they want. If only all jobs were like that.

My advice? Try headphones.

At least you have a local record store..

Yeah. What he said.

I have an FYE... so, I have no place to buy cds or records. I do all my shopping online.

So, the next time you're in a record store and you think, "What the fuck? This music sucks!", just stop and think about the poor saps like Scott M. and I.

Guest kissthesharks
At least you have a local record store..

Yeah. What he said.

I have an FYE... so, I have no place to buy cds or records. I do all my shopping online.

So, the next time you're in a record store and you think, "What the fuck? This music sucks!", just stop and think about the poor saps like Scott M. and I.

I work at HT, and while there is good stuff at cheap prices, you still don't have that "local record store mystique" to it.

At a lot of places I've been to it seems Morrissey is always playing.

The thing that pisses me off is when the record store employees are clueless. If I rattle off 15 bands and not only do you not carry them, but you have the blankest stare on your face as if I told you your mother died then I usually walk out right away.

When I worked at a record store we weren't allowed to play anything with crazy vocals or anything with a parental advisory sticker on it. We had a pretty big classical section, so old people were always in our store and would often object to whatever was on.

We showed them when we put on the Bluegrass Tribute To Metallica on and some old lady loved it.

If anyone on here lives in Toronto they can back me up on this. Rotate this is almost always playing the lamest indie crap ever. And you just know the hipster version of justice league are waiting at the counter to silently judge you on whatever you buy. It is a shame they are the best store in Toronto.

extreme noise is one of the best things about this city. while yes they tend to play a lot of crust in the store, but the dudes working are always super into it and conversing on all the smallest details and i dig that.

i used to work at a some goody and my experience was more akin too sharkticon's. so really, let the guys (who are volunteers by the way) at extreme noise have their fun while they're working.

I would LOVE to go to any of the stores that you were talking about. I know that noise/hardcore/crust isn't everyone's favorite but you have to think of all the other places that play shit (in my opinion) soft rock and wierd jam music. If you know that they typically play music like that and it bothers you that much why don't you just stay out of those stores???

Today was my last day working for our local record store here in Maine. While I will miss working closely with music and the customers, I will not miss the crap that was constantly played. Its an independent record chain, but the music had to be played low (so you could hear a case being ripped into) and most of my coworkers played Rihanna, Radiohead, and jazz. We had a no metal/punk rule at the stores. While I still love jazz, Radiohead and Rihanna are some of my most hated musicians from the constant listening of them.