DIY Bookers of all kinds please read this thread

Howdy.

I'm going to be starting a site in a few weeks that's going to be a combination of standard news/reviews zines and a constantly updating DIY hub. We're going to have articles from bookers with tips on starting to book shows for kids in areas with building scenes but no one to bring bands there. There will be stuff on how to format and create print zines. And most importantly there is going to be a state by state listing of promoters that will be updated at least weekly. For bands who are new to your area and don't know who to contact this will give them your names and how to contact you to try and get a show. As time goes by and the promoter listing gets up and going the next step will be to start a list of band contacts for promoters to use. That one isn't going to be up for awhile because frankly there are more of them than there are of you, and I'm going to try and figure out a way for those to be private to none promoters/bookers if the band so chooses.

If you're interested in having your name included in the listing please email me at [email protected] with the following information.

State:

City:

Name:

Age: (Being young doesn't mean you're a bad booker but it would be nice for the band to know I would think.)

Size of shows you handle: (Can you do only house shows or do you have club connections. If you want to give an example of shows you've done feel free)

Kinds of shows you promote: (There are tons of great guys out there who know how to set up a perfect indie rock show but wouldn't know the first thing about a hardcore show. It works the other way around. This will let bands know what kind of crowds you know how to draw.)

Do you book bands that have guarantees: (Sometimes a kid can draw a hundred friends at a basement but he doesn't know how to make them pay more than donations if that. Rather than eat his shirt to make a guarantee for a unknown band he tells the bands he'll give them gas money, food, or whatever their deal is. This system works for them and they don't want to mess with bands who have guarantees. I know a few people like this but don't know if it's just a weird local thing, so this question will only matter if I find a large number of people saying "no" here.)

Will you get the band food of some kind: (Again helps the band plan. No one is expecting you to go nuts with gourmet food but a $5 dollar pizza promise is sometimes an incentive for touring band to play. If you sometimes do just say sometimes and you can work out the details with whoever contacts you.)

Bands (if any) that will vouch for you: (Are you the go to person for a particular band whenever they come through your area? Let us know. It helps bands to know about successful shows you've done when they're looking for someone reliable to book shows.)

Do you have contacts with local bands that would be willing to play with them: (There is nothing worse than a guy saying he'll promote a show and get a local opener or headliner with a draw and the out of town band ends up with one local band that formed a week before the show and is only playing Weezer covers. If you don't know any local bands but you know venues that do say exactly that.)

Best way to contact you: (Thanks to the nature of the internet I would really rather this not be a phone number. If you have a booking myspace, facebook, twitter, friendster page that you want people to contact you at or you would rather just give out your none linked (i.e. name (at) gmail.com) email address this is where you put it. Give as much as you like, though the minimum would be at least an email address.)

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions you can email me, pm, or you can post them here. I'm still going to be writing for Mammoth Press, this is just something I want for myself to be able to give back since I can't contribute by touring, and I'm personally awful at booking shows. I wouldn't want any band to have to rely on me as a last resort so I want to help them find people who know what they're doing. Regardless of genre.

Also if you have any idea of other boards where I should post this please let me know. I've put it up at B9 and I'm about to do VLV, deadformat, pop punk bored, ctska, a local spot and No Idea. I don't know of any message boards where people who do none punk/hardcore style shows post, though I'll hopefully find some through some of my current contacts.

A lot like it. Thankfully this is a really small part of the site. Who knows it might not work out, but for example on byofl there isn't a listing for my home town and we've got all sorts of venues and a wide variety of places to play. We've had bigger acts come through, and a population of a few hundred thousand. You'd think they'd have something for us. There are a bunch of people with this problem. Having another resource for bands doesn't strike me as a terribly bad thing.

Also if you have any idea of other boards where I should post this please let me know. I've put it up at B9 and I'm about to do VLV, deadformat, pop punk bored, ctska, a local spot and No Idea. I don't know of any message boards where people who do none punk/hardcore style shows post, though I'll hopefully find some through some of my current contacts.

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42225&start=0

Guest errolwest
as of right now it is. i might to an international list, but it wont be updated as often and is a much bigger project than i'm comfortable taking on when things art starting.

Fair enough! If I knew enough people, I would be into starting something like that in Canada, but my contact list is pretty small

Seriously. I didn't know this until I talked to the VLV people but apparently none of the listings for brooklyn there are correct. I could see Chattanooga, but fucking Brooklyn?

I honestly don't know any bands who use that site anymore. I TRIED using it for the first hank jones tour, but it was such a clusterfuck of invalid information, I just resorted to the myspace/guilt-triping-bands-into-returning-favors mode. worked much better