My interview with Rivers Cuomo is up.

This was initially slated to go into the magazine next month in an abbreviated form, but due to some fuckups on label/management's part (mainly not being able to get me the damn record to review it), I'm running the whole thing uncut on the AP website. Just go to http://www.altpress.com and click on the big splash graphic on the top of the screen to read. I'd love any feedback, positive/negative/otherwise!

Wait

what's this The Black Hole?

Songs from the Black Hole (SFTBH) is an unreleased, unfinished Weezer album. A space themed rock opera, it was originally envisioned as the follow-up album to The Blue Album, but over the course of recording, the album's concept was discarded and the album was transformed into Pinkerton.

it's nice to see Rivers talking and conversing and seeming normal. It's a relief, haha.

Dude, you have NO idea. I was completely terrified of interviewing him because I've heard such insane stories of how hard he is to talk to. But overall, the conversation went really well, he was very friendly -- although he sighed a lot. I didn't even include all of them in the transcript.

Some dude at weezernation put this little bit together about what we know about the record...

New:

Crazy One (fall 1998)*

I Was Made For You (2004)**

New SFTBH:

Who You Callin Bitch

Dude We're Finally Landing

Superfriend

Stuff We Already Have:

Wanda

Lover in the Snow

Blast Off

Buddy Holly

Covers:

Ice Cube's The Bomb

From the recording history:

*# Fall(?)1998 "Random Demos"

these demos seem like full band recordings from their sound...its possible that these were also recorded at "j.j's" home studio

# Sunshine (Sludge Version) (apparently a separate recording form above version - but not confirmed either way)

# Girls Soccer

# Average Town

# Crazy One

**2/04 Rivers - preproduction demos at SIR rehearsal studio, L.A.

Rivers started an extended period doing demos by himself at this point, with the intention of assembling a set of songs he felt strong about for recording, having lost confidence and initiative with the fall '03 material for unknown reasons. Many of these tracks done in these February sessions were originally being worked on earlier in '03, and had been set aside in favor of other material once the band started focusing on the album in fall '03.

1. All I Need To Know (FKA Clearer Eyes)(2/3)

2. Everybody Wants A Chance To Feel All Alone(2/6)

3. Et Tu Brute(2/6)

4. Ever Again(2/12)

5. Everything For Me(2/6)

6. I Don't Need You(2/3)

7. I Want To Be With You(2/2)

8. I Want To Take You Home Tonight(2/11)

9. I Was Made For You(2/6)