else

document.write('+':jdes3ro5]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

got an external hard-drive before I left for Texas...cleared up room on my computer...finally used my scanner that I purchased back in november. did some quick scans of my Photobook using contact printing methods (Van Dyke process, Argyrotype, Salt Printing, Cyanotype [though none of those made it into the book])

[image]

front cover (a bit dingy and starting to kind of bubble up due to a few years of viewing and moving/storage)

[image]

back cover (a bit dingy and starting to kind of bubble up due to a few years of viewing and moving/storage)

[image]

page 1

[image]

page 2

[image]

page 3

[image]

page 4

[image]

page 5

[image]

page 6

[image]

page 7

[image]

page 8

[image]

page 9

[image]

page 10

[image]

page 11

[image]

page 12

Dan what do you cut your stencils out of?

I know its not directed at me, but i have cut a lot of stencils in my time, generally it depends how big i want the stencil and how many times i am planning on using it. If i am using it multiple times i use OHP acetate, but this can get a bit awkward for larger scale pieces. If i am cutting a a stencil that is only going to be used once or twice, for say a canvas, then i use cereal box card.

Saying that i have also used pizza boxes. generally the thicker/more papery cards lack definition and small details can be awkward you can get much more precise points and spikes with acetate. And obviously if you use a soft, absorbent paper/card it will become flimsy and un-manageable once it is wet and will cause the edges to bleed.

If you are spraying it on to a solid/washable surface like brick or plastic a little bit of spray mount goes a long way, and will avoid any blow up you might get from the air pressure.

I think i have posted them on the board somewhere already but if not i have a few pics of my stencils i will chuck up if i find them.

Dan what do you cut your stencils out of?

basically what tom and oakland said combined. it depends on the material on which i'm making the piece, and how many times i plan on using the stencil.

the things i've posted in this thread have all been one-time uses, so i laid down some painter's tape and cut it out from there with a fine point exacto knife and some steady hands.

• 1 month later...

Nice shark.

I do have a question for the painters out there. I'm self taught, and I've been using masking tape to block out large areas I want to paint. Lately I've been having problems with the tape pulling off layers of the underlying paint when I remove it. Is there an easy way around this? I tried dusting the whole thing with baby powder, but that has issues of its own. Any help is appreciated.

Everything here is so awesome, really!

I'm kind of trying to take pictures now, I have some awesome old analogue SLRs and TLRs, and some crappy plastic cams. This is my favourite recent picture. I seriously wish I could paint, and I'm still not sure if photography is what I'm best at. I am quite a gifted poet, apparently, but I'm not at all confident in that area.

[image]