SXSW 2010

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

argument for buying a badge versus not?

don't even bother... I've been going to SXSW since 94' and over the last 5 years it's definitely grown to the point where you don't need a badge in most cases. I have a badge every year and seldom ever use it. It's just a matter of knowing people in the know or checking bands myspace or the TX show list.

I'd imagine the turnover rate for cashiers would be pretty high so I think even Louis Black's son would have a hard time getting in without a badge or wristband. The day shows are obviously gonna be more crowded and some bands only play day shows. As far as bands that I think people on the board listen to, you should be alright without a badge. It all depends on the cashier though. Some will be dicks and not sell all their walk-ups up front and will make people wait because they "need to save room for industry people". Nothing beats being able to walk past everybody in line when you have a badge though. As far as wristbands, I think you pretty much have to be an Austinite to get one, but I'm not sure. I think they sell them at Waterloo. I also remember badge holders being able to buy badges or wristbands for other people? One of those symbols that gets punched on the badge.

My advice is to get a handtruck (dolly), fill it with empty beer cases, and just walk in like you're doing your job. If the venue doesn't have someone working the door, the cashier will have no idea if you work there or not. Not sure what you would do with it after you got in though. You can also do this with a trash can.

I'd imagine the turnover rate for cashiers would be pretty high so I think even Louis Black's son would have a hard time getting in without a badge or wristband. The day shows are obviously gonna be more crowded and some bands only play day shows. As far as bands that I think people on the board listen to, you should be alright without a badge. It all depends on the cashier though. Some will be dicks and not sell all their walk-ups up front and will make people wait because they "need to save room for industry people". Nothing beats being able to walk past everybody in line when you have a badge though. As far as wristbands, I think you pretty much have to be an Austinite to get one, but I'm not sure. I think they sell them at Waterloo. I also remember badge holders being able to buy badges or wristbands for other people? One of those symbols that gets punched on the badge.

My advice is to get a handtruck (dolly), fill it with empty beer cases, and just walk in like you're doing your job. If the venue doesn't have someone working the door, the cashier will have no idea if you work there or not. Not sure what you would do with it after you got in though. You can also do this with a trash can.

well we had a easy time getting into shows last year. Mainly the reason i say you don't need a badge or wristband is because most of the bands people on here like that play are either not affiliated with sxsw and play non-sxsw venues or they are not popular to the mainstream where everyone wants to get in. i had no problems getting into clubs last year. Sure i had a badge, but i mostly just walked right in without waiting in line. Minus the superdrag day show that didn't happen (still got in, just had to wait in line). Everywhere else i was able to get into without hassle.

as far as sneaking in, all venues have door guys from the club. it's a requirement since cashiers are not allowed to be stationed alone to check id's. you have 1 to 2 volunteers checking capacity, one or two door guys checking id's, and one cashier.. trying to get in with beer or a trashcan would be clever but most people know in austin no one delivers beer at night through a front door or even the back. As most bars are stocked inside for the nights during the day. Trash is always taken out from the back and the doors or gates are locked from the inside. if you can pull it off, that's great, but i seriously doubt it, especially at the larger clubs. i've seen people on a regular night try to sneak in through the gate at emos and get thrown on their asses out the door "Jazz from fresh prince" style.

Wristbands are sold to austinites only or a badgeholder can buy up to 2( i think) for friends during the festival. You have to show proof of austin address along with id when purchasing wristbands in advance. you can buy up to 4 i think. And they can be picked up days before the conference begins. I haven't worked there in several years so i don't know how it works this year.

Don't even bother though.

"Jazz from fresh prince" style.

this made me laugh.

you wouldn't believe the shit i've seen door guys do to people. I've seen one guy at the RITZ (when it was actually a cool place to drink) tell the guys from the Real World to get the fuck off their sidewalk and no one wanted them in there. good times...

So Superchunk is playing a day show.. Yes SUPERCHUNK.. RECOGNIZE!

Crystal Method is playing a block party on campus

The Muffs, The Spits, Woven Bones, Awesome Color, TV Ghost, Cruddy, Uptown Bums at Beerland

2 of these are free shows. I know fucked up is playing several free shows.