hatred surge

rwake

crystal method

stone temple pilots

muse (it was a last minute thing)

dead to me

cokie the clown

etc etc.

overall mammoth grinder and endless blockade stood out for me.

i would see mammoth grinder again if i had a freakin' car or a ride downtown.

shit all mighty this was a crazy damn-time....Tuesday night got in and grabbed some food, hung out with some Tuscaloosa folk...stayed at my friends house...which upon arrival found out he had no heat, no furnature, and 2 cats that had made the entire house their personal litter box/toilet...i attempted sleeping in a sleeping bag on some sort of padding and a cat jumped on top of me and just starting pissing everwhere...this resulting in 6 people sleeping in one room w/ the door locked to keep the cats at bay, 3 people on a twin-size air-mattress and three in the floor. after that Mike (controlthebleeding) offered up his place instead (endless thank-yous Mike). A.P. party was less crowded this year (actually having a printed list this year I guess?) so that was super fun. enjoyed almost everything I saw/witnessed with the exception of some girl-rock band from Norway (6-piece...dunno their name, they were horrible), might have a new favorite Austin band in Ume (incredible), Jonah/Look Mexico show @ Plush was just as much fun as it was last year, Jacob Dylan and his band w/ Neko Case is really really really lame (complete waste of talent and my time in my opinion), seeing Matt Pryor play in a church while I was drunk was pretty neat, seeing 2 members of Wu-Tang Clan come out and free-style over Fucked Up was pretty damn awesome, seeing a random dude wearing a Dexateens T-Shirt was radical, Suburban Home party was HUGE and such a blast. really don't like that it's over and that work resumes as normal tomorrow....bleh

Friday we drove up from San Antonio relatively early and had a Sonic breakfast. Spent most of the time going between Longbranch Inn and Trailer Space Records. There was a lot of free beer around, so I really only had to spend money on food...and records. Had some awesome vegan chipotle mushroom tamales, some great pizza from East Side Pies, and late at night when I was drunk I was scarfing down some sort of pork belly in a bun. Here's who I saw:

CoCoComa (awesome way to start the day. Bill and Lisa of the band were running the Trouble In Mind showcase, and they had their band play first so they could enjoy the rest of the day I guess. They were great.)

The Fresh & Onlys (I had actually seen these guys the day before also. One of my favorites of the weekend.)

Hollows (A mostly girl band with keyboards, they were pretty good)

Davila 666 (Trailer Space started getting packed for this one. They were awesome, really happy I got a chance to see them)

White Wires (Very good, they were having a great time. The girl on drums is one of the cutest girls I saw all weekend.)

Hex Dispensers (My favorite Austin band. They mentioned they will be doing a single on Trouble In Mind in the future)

Billy Bragg (Happened to be walking by and he was playing in the park, so we stopped in to see his last couple of songs)

Then we waited around to see Man Or Astroman?, but the band that came on was definitely not them. So I guess the outdoor show was behind at least an hour.

The Safes (Last show of the night, they played outside at Liberty. Great set.)

Saturday we woke up later, but managed to make it to Austin at around 1pm. It was so cold and windy, which sucked because my friends bands were supposed to be playing an outside show for the Merrifield Records showcase. It ended up getting moved to Cheapo Discs and didn't start until like 8pm. We hung out at Waterloo for a little bit, but that was pretty crowded. Ended up going over to the Convention Center for the record show and poster show. The poster show was awesome, so much great concert artwork for sale. I saw a bunch of bands, but here are the ones that stood out.

Brimstone Howl (So glad I didn't miss this one, they were great.)

the Royal Chains (Fun band)

The Growlers (Was getting pretty annoyed at this point, as since the show was moved the bands were only supposed to play 4 songs each, and they played well over their allotted time.)

No Lover (This is a couple of the guys from that dance rock band The Bravery, including Mike Hindert who runs Merrifield Records. They were very talented, and had a real solid rock and roll sound.)

Young Jaguars (Good friends of mine from Baltimore. They do fast paced instrumental rockabilly / surf-y music influenced by bands like the Ventures and people like Link Wray.)

Thee Lexington Arrows (Also good friends from Baltimore. They have kind of a Detroit Cobras thing going on. Very awesome.)

The Safes (Nicest band around, and great live.)

And that's it - as usual, a lot walking, a lot of beer, and a great time!

seeing a random dude wearing a Dexateens T-Shirt was radical

Was the random guy in the Dexateens shirt this old guy?

http://twitpic.com/18y2gi

If so, that was my buddy Dave.

A bunch of my friends from all over the country met in Birmingham on New Years Eve to see the 'Teens/Glossary show at The Nick.

Love me some Dexateens. I will probably be at the show in Atlanta next weekend.

I'm still waiting for some youtube videos of the Cokie set.

I filmed some of the acoustic songs and will be posting shortly, but I honestly felt guilty filming the stories Mike was telling (which, by the way, were all true and covered everything from not stopping a rape to not stopping his roommate from committing suicide to how his mother asked him to kill her in her final days and how he did it).

It was incredibly uncomfortable and a rather brilliant piece of performance art he'll never do again. The crowd most definitely did NOT get it.

seeing a random dude wearing a Dexateens T-Shirt was radical

Was the random guy in the Dexateens shirt this old guy?

http://twitpic.com/18y2gi

If so, that was my buddy Dave.

A bunch of my friends from all over the country met in Birmingham on New Years Eve to see the 'Teens/Glossary show at The Nick.

Love me some Dexateens. I will probably be at the show in Atlanta next weekend.

naw, it was some other dude from Arkansas...who was apparently also at the NYE show (which I'm still kind bitter about missing)

He was from Arkansas and was at the NYE show?

Then it had to be either Caleb or Chris..they both are from Arkansas, were at SXSW, and were at the NYE show, which by the way was awesome.

Sorry you missed it!

naw, it was some other dude from Arkansas...who was apparently also at the NYE show (which I'm still kind bitter about missing)

I'm still waiting for some youtube videos of the Cokie set.

I filmed some of the acoustic songs and will be posting shortly, but I honestly felt guilty filming the stories Mike was telling (which, by the way, were all true and covered everything from not stopping a rape to not stopping his roommate from committing suicide to how his mother asked him to kill her in her final days and how he did it).

It was incredibly uncomfortable and a rather brilliant piece of performance art he'll never do again. The crowd most definitely did NOT get it.

He did this here in the kitchen last week. Sans makeup. 7 people in attendance. Talk about uncomfortable!

Honestly though, Fat Mike has been a major part of punk rock over the years and of course he's gonna have some messed up experiences to talk about. I really see the whole Cokie persona kind of being a representation of Fat Mike. He has to get up on stage and perform for crowds that may spit at him. He probably just feels like a clown up on stage performing for peoples amusement. I just think the show was such a big shock to everyone because Fat Mike never really showed this side of himself until recently.

He was from Arkansas and was at the NYE show?

Then it had to be either Caleb or Chris..they both are from Arkansas, were at SXSW, and were at the NYE show, which by the way was awesome.

Sorry you missed it!

radical, did you go see Vulture Whale at the Birmingham Day Party as well?

Nothing too crazy for me. Made it into town to catch OWTH at The Parlor then drove around downtown for a little while. Saturday got in line pretty early for the Fat showcase. Cobra Skulls, TBR, and the Gamblers were awesome. The rest were okay. Banner Pilot and DTM second singers can't sing too well live.