Fighting fear of flying

faith

I'm totally scared to death of flying.. I've flown a lot actually from Montréal to Frankfurt in Germany when I was younger (between 4 and 9 years old) but not ever since.

The thing is, I'm now in Minneapolis and I can't afford the time it would take to drive home in Montréal everytime I need to go. It's like a 2 hours to 2 hours and a half flight and I know I have to get myself to do it at least once.

Anyone's ever been in that situation? What did you do to get over it? It seriously sucks. I'm thinking of seeing my doctor to find out if there are drugs that could calm me, but that would only work during the flight... and wouldn't stop me from being anxious about it for like a month before or so. I'm also afraid to get a panic attack during the flight and starting to feel trapped and all, that would suck even more.

I hate flying, too. I've tried everything and nothing works for me. Finding a way not to worry about it beforehand is key. I think the anxiety building up to the flight is probably worse than the flight itself.

I don't have an answer for you but if at all possible, try not to go a long time between flights. I flew from Ohio to Vegas to California to Ohio in less than a week and by the time I was on my flight home, I was 100x calmer than the first flight a few days earlier. I've talked to others that hate flying that find that smaller gaps between flights helps a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I am always nervous about the landings on flights, only because I think I would be really embarrassed if I threw up (even though I know no one on the plane). I just take Dramamine and breathe deep to keep my stomache in its place. If I could use my ipod then for some chill tunes, I would do that too. Damn restrictions, MY IPOD WILL NOT FUCK UP THE PLANE!!!

But I hope it works out for you!

I never buckle up on planes (partially because I'm fat, partially because who gives a damn). I rarely turn my iPod off, either. On my flight to Chicago last week, some woman's cell phone went off in the middle of the flight, 30,000 feet in the air. Shit doesn't matter.

I know! On my last flight, the flight attendant almost flipped out on the guy across the aisle from me because his headphones were still on his head even though his player was turned off (or so he told her).

I hope they never allow cell phone use on the plane (reception would be something interesting up there anyways) because I don't want to be surrounded by everyone's conversations with no way to escape!

I like getting yelled at to put armrest that's facing the aisle back down. Most people don't know that almost every armrest on the aisle has a release button underneath them to make them pop up (and give you more room). It's incredibly easy to locate on Southwest planes (they actually have a little plastic sliding lever), and on Continental jets, it's a little metal button you push. Same goes for the armrests inexplicably put against the window -- just pop them sonovabitches up and it's more comfort for you!

I like getting yelled at to put armrest that's facing the aisle back down. Most people don't know that almost every armrest on the aisle has a release button underneath them to make them pop up (and give you more room). It's incredibly easy to locate on Southwest planes (they actually have a little plastic sliding lever), and on Continental jets, it's a little metal button you push. Same goes for the armrests inexplicably put against the window -- just pop them sonovabitches up and it's more comfort for you!

Damn, I never knew that! I usually shoot for single seat rows (most of the planes I fly in are regional jets, Embrarer class), but if not those, window seat all the way so I can lean my head on something and try (and almost always fail) to sleep.

Damn, I never knew that! I usually shoot for single seat rows (most of the planes I fly in are regional jets, Embrarer class), but if not those, window seat all the way so I can lean my head on something and try (and almost always fail) to sleep.

Dude, being 6'4" and 300+ lbs, I'm always looking for ways to make any flight less painful on my body (I love when someone in front of me reclines on my already squashed legs -- it's so awesome!).