Why Piracy Works

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I the kind of person that likes having an actual movie (book, cd, etc) so bear with me here. But doesn't it take longer to download the movie than get through the pre-dvd stuff? Couldn't you just put in the dvd and go do something else for a few minutes, like pop popcorn? Why would you pop your popcorn, turn out all of the lights, etc, then put in the dvd...seems silly

That's true, but you took out the process of obtaining a DVD. Go to the store, order it online, wait for Netflix, etc... If you have an average high speed Internet connection it should take roughly an hour to download a movie (way more if BluRay though).

Pirating is just so much more efficient. It's kind of sad actually. Purchasing digital copies is such a pain in the ass. If the companies would just open up a little they'd probably make a ton more money.

All of what you're saying is total bullshit. The entertainment industry could revamp their model to your exact specifications (whatever those are, since you nor any other "pirate" ever has an actual working solution) and you STILL wouldn't buy things.

You've decided to steal your entertainment instead of pay for it. There's nothing anyone can do about it, either. THAT'S what's sad.

Piracy works because the entertainment industry is greedy. If they sold movies the way people actually wanted them, i.e. with no copy protection, for a reasonable price they'd sell more movies. Whatever, they don't care, the rental places buy 5 million right off the bat.

I have yet to see any empirical data that backs this theory up. You'd think people would be willing to pay for movies if they had no copy protection and were cheaper, but I believe that the advent of DRM-free digital music has proven the opposite.

Piracy works because the entertainment industry is greedy. If they sold movies the way people actually wanted them, i.e. with no copy protection, for a reasonable price they'd sell more movies. Whatever, they don't care, the rental places buy 5 million right off the bat.

I have yet to see any empirical data that backs this theory up. You'd think people would be willing to pay for movies if they had no copy protection and were cheaper, but I believe that the advent of DRM-free digital music has proven the opposite.

Problem I have with the DRM-free music deal is the prices in a lot of cases went up corresponding to the dropping of the DRM. And while eMusic was free of DRM its selection was pretty spotty.

Plus, I'd argue iTunes' pricing could used to be slashed a bit. Its backwards I can buy a physical product for less than I can buy a digital-only one.

People would be willing to pay for it as long as it is offered in a timely fashion, not years after the fact. As soon as there are ways around it that don't cost anything it is already too late.

I agree with both of you (Sammy and thedavidescapeplan). I am not anti-piracy, but the argument of lower prices and drm-free has yet to be proven.

The $1.29 per track DRM-free iTunes model is kind of ridiculous and eMusic does have a sparse selection (but it is getting better). To play devils advocate, Apple makes very little (or no) money off of digital tracks they sell through iTunes and use it merely as a vehicle to sell iPods, macbooks, etc. Apple has kind of screwed labels as well, forcing them into a model of making a fraction of what they were formerly making on average, per-track basis. Not that I really care about major labels' revenue streams.

To address the timeliness issue, as I understand it, movie companies are toying with the idea of day-and-date releases of certain movies, i.e. the movie is released in theaters, on DVD, on demand, on-line, etc. It's too early to know whether or not this will reduce piracy.

In short, no one really has the answer.

I wonder how many people here would be okay with being told that they don't deserve to be paid for doing a job?

You can rationalize things however you want, but to deny that piracy is stealing is just intellectually dishonest. Not only that, but it compounds the problem that people whose stock-in-trade are creative works are increasingly marginalized and trivialized.

I have a friend who downloads e v e r y t h i n g. Movies, books, music, tv shows, video games... and I think, "can't you live without some of that shit?" I'd be lying if I didn't say there was a time that I downloaded the majority of the new music I listened to. But as it's become more popular, I've gotten bored with people using the same boilerplate rationalizations :

"I wouldn't do it if the product was cheaper!"

"I decide if I like it, then I buy it!"

"I download the album, then I go see the band and buy a shirt!"

...and so on.

On top of everything else, companies that provide content (think digital music, e-books, etc) are already making heaps and gobs more money than people who create content. People who work in any sort of creative capacity are valued less than ever. I find it unfortunate.

"I wouldn't download it if the companies didn't make me want it so much!"

But doesn't it take longer to download the movie than get through the pre-dvd stuff? Couldn't you just put in the dvd and go do something else for a few minutes, like pop popcorn? Why would you pop your popcorn, turn out all of the lights, etc, then put in the dvd...seems silly
scotterson, logic has no place in this thread. Get out of here.

Apparently not. Couldn't you just, uh, do something else while you wait for the download. Yeah, people pirate shit because they don't want to sit through the previews ::)

I wonder how many people here would be okay with being told that they don't deserve to be paid for doing a job?

It would suck!

In most cases with me (until recently with the addition of dropcards and download codes) i was downloading music illegally because I bought it on vinyl. If i wanted it on my ipod, i wasn't going to purchase it again.

As far as downloading movies, the same shit applies. I paid to see it in the theater, I'm not going to pay to see/own it again. The idea of paying twice for something is just not cool with me. I guess this makes me a jerk though.

Is my employer going to pay me twice for doing a good job?

As far as downloading movies, the same shit applies. I paid to see it in the theater, I'm not going to pay to see/own it again. The idea of paying twice for something is just not cool with me. I guess this makes me a jerk though.

You rented the opportunity to see it in a big theatre on a big screen. There's a difference between that and owning a movie.

I was with you on the vinyl thing but its not the same deal with going to see a movie.

You rented the opportunity to see it in a big theatre on a big screen. There's a difference between that and owning a movie.

I was with you on the vinyl thing but its not the same deal with going to see a movie.

I understand why people don't agree with me. And it's cool. I think it's something i've picked up from my pops over the years. I don't really download anymore, but when I did, it was my rationale. I spend too much money on BluRays nowadays.

I hardly ever go to the theatre anymore just because I spent a good amount of money over the years building my own "home theater". 1080p projector, good surround sound and my PS3 for BluRays will keep me home most nights.

There needs to be a better model.

I'd pay a monthly fee to use a site like What.CD -- high-quality content in a variety of formats with no strings attached is something I think would appeal to most consumers.

Too many companies spend their time and money trying to stop people from doing certain things rather than spend time thinking of creative solutions that allow people to consume media how they please.

...movie companies are toying with the idea of day-and-date releases of certain movies, i.e. the movie is released in theaters, on DVD, on demand, on-line, etc. It's too early to know whether or not this will reduce piracy.

That sounds like a terrible idea. They should release it in all forms intangible, and then still wait for the DVD. If they came out, I'd think people would go for one or the other, rather than one now and one in 6 months.

That's just my thoughts, though. I suppose maybe they know what they're doing. Just not my kind of idea.

There needs to be a better model.

I'd pay a monthly fee to use a site like What.CD -- high-quality content in a variety of formats with no strings attached is something I think would appeal to most consumers.

I really don't think that would work, but that's just me. I mean I've donated to waffles, but I'm not about to start paying some monthly fee for it. Who decides which artist sees what % of my $? No thank you. Maybe it would work if it tracked who you download per month and divided up your $ based on each users stats, but that seems like it might be a logistical nightmare. I don't know though, I don't program code.

On another note, I recently cancelled my cable. I don't even have basic anymore because I'm too lazy to get an antenna. I realized that every $ is a like a little ballot supporting the system, and the cable system is pretty bogus. I'm not paying money for a bunch of channels I don't even want when I really only watch 5-6 of them. I can stream stuff online.

Outdated business models need to be buried, and the best way to do that is vote with your $.

That's true, but you took out the process of obtaining a DVD. Go to the store, order it online, wait for Netflix, etc... If you have an average high speed Internet connection it should take roughly an hour to download a movie (way more if BluRay though).

Pirating is just so much more efficient. It's kind of sad actually. Purchasing digital copies is such a pain in the ass. If the companies would just open up a little they'd probably make a ton more money.

All of what you're saying is total bullshit. The entertainment industry could revamp their model to your exact specifications (whatever those are, since you nor any other "pirate" ever has an actual working solution) and you STILL wouldn't buy things.

You've decided to steal your entertainment instead of pay for it. There's nothing anyone can do about it, either. THAT'S what's sad.

Why do you always try to call me out for not buying things.

I like you did, but it's really starting to piss me off because I've told you countless times that I continue to buy media.

Why do you always try to call me out for not buying things.

I like you did, but it's really starting to piss me off because I've told you countless times that I continue to buy media.

"Call you out"? Dude, you freely admit that you steal virtually all of your music and movies. It bums me out severely. I work in the music industry. I like my current career path. People who steal music endanger the future of said career path. The end.

On another note, I recently cancelled my cable. I don't even have basic anymore because I'm too lazy to get an antenna. I realized that every $ is a like a little ballot supporting the system, and the cable system is pretty bogus. I'm not paying money for a bunch of channels I don't even want when I really only watch 5-6 of them. I can stream stuff online.

Outdated business models need to be buried, and the best way to do that is vote with your $.

This, not that I cancelled my cable, but that I moved to a new city and didn't even bother hooking it up.

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

If you could actually download a car, I bet people would. But until then, people will resort to "traditional piracy" and just yank the thang. Ya know, do hoodrat things with my friends.

Tangent: I'm so excited for next week's Tosh.0 -- they're having the hoodrat things kid on the show for a web redemption.