We Need Transparency (an open letter to Virgil)

It has been month since you have paid most labels. most people do not get responses from you anymore when they have money concerns, and only see responses to their endless e-mails when something that benefits you is included within its message. More and more people have been complaining about your business tactics, and your inability to pay the labels that keep you in business is not only tarnishing your reputation, but that of the labels.

You owe thousands to a myriad of labels, most of which are counting on the money you owe them to put out releases and continue in their business ventures. Running a distro is a simple process, get stock, take your mark up, and give the money owed to the label. You overextending yourself and apparently leeching into the money that is rightfully the label's is wrong, immoral, and detrimental to the trust labels have in you. People are starting to be afraid you are going to go the way of Lumberjack/Mordam, imploding and leaving all of the labels / bands / etc. scratching their heads wondering what to do now that the capital they so desperately need has no chance of reaching them.

Vinylcollective has done a ton in the last few years to help smaller labels reach a broader audience, and has offered an unprecedented online distribution that a consumer can trust and be confidant in. How will the customer feel when they know their money is not reaching the people they are trying to support? Transparency is key.

What everyone needs right now is a solution, not excuses. You expanding too fast, reaching into too many pots, hiring too big of a staff, etc. does not apply. The labels send you the stock that you sell to keep in business, they need to know how and when they will get paid, and they need to know it now.

I am not posting this out of spite, or anger, or to tarnish your reputation. I am doing it because many people have not received replies, or checks, since July of 2009. I love this community, and have the utmost respect for what you have done for vinyl... but it is time for answers, transparency, and solutions. It has been almost 9 months.

Sincerely,

concerned.

whaaaatttttttt

I hope a lot of those statements are hyperbolic in nature. If what he's claiming is true, it's a little unsettling, but given the circumstances I would think that the bands and labels in question would have been more diligent in pursuing the capital they allegedly have yet to see.

Also, not that it has any effect on whether your statements are true or false, but as "transparency" was your word of choice it's slightly hypocritical for you to post this without any mention of who you are or with whom you're affiliated.

whaaaatttttttt

I hope a lot of those statements are hyperbolic in nature. If what he's claiming is true, it's a little unsettling, but given the circumstances I would think that the bands and labels in question would have been more diligent in pursuing the capital they allegedly have yet to see.

where have you been?

whaaaatttttttt

where have you been?

Just saying, this is the first thread I've seen posted like this on the forums. I would think, if the allegations are true, this type of thing would be happening a lot more frequently.

while i would agree with the sentiments IN the letter and stand behind it, it seems a little silly to be asking for public transparancy while hiding behind an anonymous screen name and signing your your plea for openness and honesty with "concerned"

that being said. good letter. and really? 9 months without even an email saying "sorry we are broke?" or "no you havent sold anything so you arent getting a payment, but i can send back stock if youd like"? that sucks.

While I'm among those that haven't gotten paid since July, I definitely HAVE gotten email updates from Virgil on my vendor account, for what it's worth. I have never been ignored by him and get at least a message a month and a regular update on sales. He's asked for confidentiality in thosee updates and I intend to honor that, so it's really up to him if any of it is to be public information for all to see/know.