yesterday, I ran over bambi's mommy

anyone else ever hit a deer with their motor vehicle?

my friend was driving me to the airport at 5am to fly home from savannah, and we creamed a poor deer. it destroyed the front passenger side bumper/headlight/hood, but i think we were really lucky that neither of us in the car were hurt.

funny i live in PA, a state full of white tail deer, and the only time i've ever been in a car that hits one is when i'm in georgia.

incidentally, this deer made me miss my flight, i had to sit at the savannah airport for 5 hours, and when i got to atlanta, delta had way overbooked my flight home and i almost had to stay overnight cuz the next direct flight to harrisburg wasn't until this morning.

but all is right in the world now! (with the exception of bambi's mommy being roadkill)

Me and my brother hit a deer once when he was driving. Nothing really happened to the car cause it hit the front of his Wrangler, but the deer's body was all mangled and half of it's face was off with its insides hanging out its mouth and its eyes wide open.

Only animal I ever hit was a huge opossum.

Me and my brother hit a deer once when he was driving. Nothing really happened to the car cause it hit the front of his Wrangler, but the deer's body was all mangled and half of it's face was off with its insides hanging out its mouth and its eyes wide open.

Only animal I ever hit was a huge opossum.

i probably would have been scarred for life had that happened to me.

i'm pretty sure this one kind of bounced off to the side because we just clipped it on the passengers side and there was no damage past the midpoint of the hood. hopefully it just had a superficial wound and it off living it's little deer life somewhere? :/

I've hit three deer. First one was in my dad's Mustang. That wasn't too fun. The second one smashed the hell out of my hood and took off my license plate thing on my current car. The third one technically hit me because it tried to make it over my car by jumping at it and took off my left side mirror.

I thought I hit a moose once, but then realized it was just Rosie O'Donnell. I rolled the still convulsing beast into the ditch, called my insurance company, a tow truck, and got the fuck out of there before it regained consiousness and tried to mate with me and/or my vehicle.

Scary shit. Still have nightmares about it.

I thought I hit a moose once, but then realized it was just Rosie O'Donnell. I rolled the still convulsing beast into the ditch, called my insurance company, a tow truck, and got the fuck out of there before it regained consiousness and tried to mate with me and/or my vehicle.

and do you still drink at this bar?

and do you still drink at this bar?

Oddly enough, no alcohol was involved in this incident.

But believe you me, I downed a fifth of SoCo as soon as I got home.

HOLY SHIT. I have yet to hit any animals, but about a week ago I kept telling my boyfriend there was a huge deer dead in the road and to slow down so he wouldn't re-run it over. (We were on a country road at night)

He kept driving real fast and by the time he saw it, it was too late to go around it. It sounded like crushing bones under the car. I was so damn grossed out. Awful.

i hit a moose and a bear on the same tour, with the same van.

the moose collided with the front of the vehicle and took out about half of the passenger side panelling and the headlights, windshield, etc.

the bear ran out at the last possible second and got stuck between the van and the trailer as we were driving. scary shit.

driving in northern ontario at night is beyond terrifying.

the moose collided with the front of the vehicle and took out about half of the passenger side panelling and the headlights, windshield, etc.

the bear ran out at the last possible second and got stuck between the van and the trailer as we were driving. scary shit.

this just serves to perpetuate my misguided belief that canada is just a vast wilderness expanse overrun by giant wild animals.

this just serves to perpetuate my misguided belief that canada is just a vast wilderness expanse overrun by giant wild animals.

Theres only really animals if you leave the outposts. ;)

I know what you mean. I used to date a girl who lived in Sudbury (I'm from Hamilton) and I used to hate driving there at night. It's literally wilderness save for a few scattered towns from south of Parry Sound and.... north as far as you can go. Making the drive to Thunder Bay from Toronto is probably about the scariest driving I've ever done. And don't even attempt it in winter, because the snowsqualls up there are just as deadly as the moose/deer/bear, etc.

As for me, I've hit a few racoons, a bird, and a possum. A buddy of mine hit a massive racoon one night doing 120km/h on the highway, and tore the bumper right off his car. About $2000 in damage done to it.

i think the scariest is having a 20+ lb turkey fly right into your windshield.

and worst things while hiking i've had happen were i was about 8 inches from putting my foot down on top of a 3 ft long copperhead , and a week later i was watching my feet because of that and failed to notice a 450 lb black bear that was 10 yards away from me.

I was driving my mom home from the hospital and nearly hit a goddamn turkey today. They are the only animal I can think of that is dumber than deer. She was still partially sedated in the backseat from surgery. All she asked was, "was it domestic or wild?" haha. I wasn't looking! I was watching the road as it ran past and I slammed the brakes.

I had a similar experience as the original post hitting a deer. There was wicked ice storm the day after Xmas in 2008. We had a narrow call with a bunch of other cars going to pick my friend up earlier that day, because we were stuck at the bottom of a hill on a sheer sheet of ice. Later that night, after the shit cleared, he met us and we were going to go out to eat. We were driving down a dark stretch of highway and one jumped between oncoming traffic and I hit it going nearly 60. It ripped up my passenger side pretty good, busting out the headlight and the hood. My wife was playing NSMB on the DS, and said "OH MY GOD WHAT DID WE HIT" and I busted up laughing.

It didn't seem that bad... People actually said, "You guys were really lucky," which is funny, because "lucky" would have been missing the thing entirely. If we'd have been going a shade faster, it probably would have gone through my windshield, and we could have been really hurt or killed. The car was in the shop for like 6 weeks, too. $7000 in damage.

I had good pics of it (which didn't LOOK $7000 worth of bad), but my phone ate them all yesterday.