How much would you pay for a two-song 7-inch?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press more than 250 then the unit cost is less.

You're right, but in this situation I don't think I could sell many more than 250. You can always press more records; you can't return unsold stock to the pressing plant, though.

then keep costs down:

-do only black vinyl

-blank labels or one color labels

-do one color artwork for the outer sleeve

-or get a stamp and just stamp the dust sleeve/buy the colored paper dust sleeves and stamp those

= the unit cost will only be around $2 or less.

You're right, but in this situation I don't think I could sell many more than 250. You can always press more records; you can't return unsold stock to the pressing plant, though.

then keep costs down:

-do only black vinyl

-or get a stamp and just stamp the dust sleeve/buy the colored paper dust sleeves and stamp those

How do you figure? To press 250 7-inches on black vinyl -- just the 7-inches, absolutely nothing else -- is $647.50. I'm already looking at a $2.60 unit cost just for the vinyl alone, not factoring in sleeves or anything.

then keep costs down:

-do only black vinyl

How do you figure? To press 250 7-inches on black vinyl -- just the 7-inches, absolutely nothing else -- is $647.50. I'm already looking at a $2.60 unit cost just for the vinyl alone, not factoring in sleeves or anything.

get different quotes from different plants besides the convenient plant in your city.

You could probably do them at Musicol around $2 and you can drive to their plant in Ohio to pick them up to avoid the shipping charge if you're so hell bent on that aspect.

Hell, do photocopied covers and the cover will only cost you like 8 cents or less.

I was just pointing out that if you want to do things on the cheap, you can make them affordable.

yeah, i hate paying over $5 (with shipping) for a 7". just keep it cheap like justin is saying and it should work fine.

i do like the idea of singles though, unless those songs are just going to be released on an upcoming record in the next few months. nothing annoys me more than teaser 7"s. so if those songs were to be released later in the year, i personally would not buy it. i'd just buy the LP.

get different quotes from different plants besides the convenient plant in your city.

You could probably do them at Musicol around $2 and you can drive to their plant in Ohio to pick them up to avoid the shipping charge if you're so hell bent on that aspect.

Hell, do photocopied covers and the cover will only cost you like 8 cents or less.

I was just pointing out that if you want to do things on the cheap, you can make them affordable.

Thanks for the Musicol rec -- their prices are slightly better. I'm gonna see if I can leverage that with Gotta Groove, but if not, maybe I'll just go there. Much appreciated!

$4 max. In my opinion, there's little or no reason to sell a 7" for $5 or more, unless there's 4 songs and it's screenprinted and hand-numbered. I actually get a little mad when I see pricey 7" records. It's like, wtf? I don't care if the band has former members of Shorebirds, Latterman, and whoever. That said, I paid $10 plus shipping for the MXPX Holiday 7", new. But I really wanted that shit.

Thanks for the Musicol rec -- their prices are slightly better. I'm gonna see if I can leverage that with Gotta Groove, but if not, maybe I'll just go there. Much appreciated!

Two things.

Musicol is extremely slow. Turn around time is longggggg. Just take that into account for the timeline of the project.

I tried the leverage thing with GGR and they weren't having it. Maybe you'll have better luck.