RSD AND EBAY

If you guys know that this has happened, call up the owner and tell him how you feel and that you won't be supporting their store anymore, and point out that they're part of the reason why brick and mortar stores are failing.

It's their choice to do whatever they want with their stock, but you have the power to support them or to not.

It seems like RSD has created a real monster where people hoard to resell, people freak out and pay exorbitant amounts on eBay because they see the words 'limited edition', prices level off in two weeks, and a lot of copies end up languishing in bins for a long time.

Also, I saw at least 30 of those Rolling Stones 7"s at Treehouse Records in Mpls. There's something like 10000 pressed, I doubt they'll be worth anything.

It seems like RSD has created a real monster where people hoard to resell, people freak out and pay exorbitant amounts on eBay because they see the words 'limited edition', prices level off in two weeks, and a lot of copies end up languishing in bins for a long time.

Also, I saw at least 30 of those Rolling Stones 7"s at Treehouse Records in Mpls. There's something like 10000 pressed, I doubt they'll be worth anything.

so i was bumping elbows with you at Treehouse yesterday?

Agreed. It's pretty much a way for the majors to push their shitty "limited edition" Godsmack records to people dumb enough to think they can flip them.

so i was bumping elbows with you at Treehouse yesterday?

Maybe. I was there between 11-12.

I have never even gone to a record store on RSD. Maybe next year I will go and buy shit to flip. I hate being in crowded record stores it takes away from the feeling that it is my domain and burried somewhere in the musty smelling jackets and men at work LPs there is something awesome waiting for me.

It's really shitty what RSD has become in so little time.

while i have to agree with the hating of the flipping that goes on. i did talk to one of the creators of RSD on Saturday and I have to think that RSD is a good thing.

While there will always be people who look for profit anytime anywhere, I have this feeling that RSD is a good thing. It's gets people aware of their local record store.

I was at a pot luck later that day and because of a FB update, other people were asking about RSD. Most of them didn't even know vinyl was still being made but they were all interested in knowing the reason behind RSD.

Eh, it's good and shitty. I agree it gets people in stores and that's good but the one store I actually got stuff at made you wait in two different lines (three if you include check out) and would not let you buy anything else with RSD purchases. By the time I was bought the three records I wanted it was 40 minutes from when I started and I didn't have an urge to put the records in my car and go back through the store. It's probably good for a short sales boost for one day but I doubt it's anything sustained.

All the stores I went to were structured really well. Reckless seemed to be selling a ton of stuff that wasn't just RSD and Dave's Records was giving out free cupcakes and tote bags if you spent over $25. They were also running sales on their non-RSD stuff and so was Record Breakers. The employees at the stores I went to were all in high spirits and super friendly so it was really refreshing to see people as psyched about selling records as we were to buy them.

It's probably good for a short sales boost for one day but I doubt it's anything sustained.

This. Glad the stores got a good day of sales, but I bet most stores won't have another day like that until next year's RSD. :-/

Wait a minute, isn't there a Gaslight record coming out this year? :P

Eh, it's good and shitty. I agree it gets people in stores and that's good but the one store I actually got stuff at made you wait in two different lines (three if you include check out) and would not let you buy anything else with RSD purchases. By the time I was bought the three records I wanted it was 40 minutes from when I started and I didn't have an urge to put the records in my car and go back through the store. It's probably good for a short sales boost for one day but I doubt it's anything sustained.

That is ubsurd. you'd think they'd want the extra business. My dad got stuff for me at a shop in boston. Got there 10 minutes before they opened and was the 4th person in line. Once he got the record I really wanted he called me to see what else I wanted and just kept asking the guy that worked there for the stuff because he has no idea what it is. He actually ended up buying a few things for himself as well which he never does. The store also gave away some free stuff.

In Atlanta, I went to criminal records around noon and the line was all the way to the back of the store. This is by no means a small store either. They had 2 registers running and the employees were walking up and down the line asking if you had found everything you were looking for. They grabbed numerous releases for people while they were waiting in line and the line probably only took 15 minutes to get through.

how about indie record label day? who needs stores anymore with dickheads like this guy?! Pretty much every record store I have been to is full of pretentious, douche-bag employees who think they know everything there is about music and act as if their opinion actually matters.

Of course its not every store across the country. Not saying that, but I am sure all of us have been to a record store that employs a handful of dicks that do not really care about the customers. Just sayin'

Everyday Music in Portland, OR was great! I strolled in a couple minutes after 9 AM and there were some people browsing through the RSD stuff. I waited my turn, picked the records I wanted out, checked out the rest of their stock and bought my records. It was a very normal record store experience for me. I worked at Plan 9 Music in Charlottesville, VA for the 1st RSD and it was about the same. Everyday Music also has free VooDoo Doughnuts and coffee out for us. And had a free raffle for SkullCandy headphones for anyone that took a ticket. I won a pair and gave them to my girl because her earbuds were on their way out.

After that we walked down the block to Jackpot Records. There was a line of about 25 people waiting for the store to open at 10AM. They only had a few of everything, so the line shuffled in, people told the employees what they wanted and the employees pulled them out of boxes. I grabbed the Steel Train 7" (only one I saw all weekend) I wanted and headed out.

The crowds were still pretty heavy at 6 PM when I hit Music Millennium. Though many people were certainly milling about, myself included, for the Black Prairie in-store show. But in all it was a very calm, organized day. Thankfully I didn't run into any douchebaggery like some of you.

ya not pissed just baffled, when i read the press release saying, they were making there own employee s wait until the doors opened to be fair haha. so much for that. Ya i got everything i wanted, so no big deal for me. I stopped shopping at that place a long time ago. Nothing is priced and he pulls out a "price guide" when you bring a record to the counter haha. fuckin' dork.

I'm not one to rob people, but fuck this guy! Go in right before the close with ski masks and baseball bats tie the fucker up take what you want slap him around and then lock him in his store.