Sterilization (now with hilarity!!)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno man, I've worked with kids the last 7 years of my life and plan to be around students for the next 40+. If I didn't have my own set of little assholes running around, I'd be so disappointed. I can't pinpoint why, and I don't feel it's expected of me, I just feel like I'll miss out on something awesome if I don't.

I think growing up with a single mother who would do and has done ANYTHING for the three of us kids has left a huge impression on me. I'm caring for my 16 yr old sister right now, and it's annoying as fuck, so I TOTALLY get the "my life is dictated by some young brat" thing. I don't know how to counter that. But I think the positives, the experiences, the feelings, vastly outweigh that inconvenience. Anyway, as Homer says, "When you're 18, you're out the door!" (Just kidding, I don't think I could do that.)

Meh. If you work 40 years and make inflation-adjusted $50,000 a year average over that span, you ear $2,000,000. You can't drop "up to" $286,000 for a kid? (I'm assuming no one here is higher than middle-class, but that's just an assumption. Although there is that spoiled English kid on the boards somewhere, I forget his name.) 14.3% of your income would go towards a child.

Hopefully you have a mate, though, and hopefully that mate works, too, so it's really not the big shocking life-impeding burden they make it out to be. If there's something else in your life, save accordingly and nothing is stopping you from doing that, too.

I dunno man, I've worked with kids the last 7 years of my life and plan to be around students for the next 40+. If I didn't have my own set of little assholes running around, I'd be so disappointed. I can't pinpoint why, and I don't feel it's expected of me, I just feel like I'll miss out on something awesome if I don't.

I think growing up with a single mother who would do and has done ANYTHING for the three of us kids has left a huge impression on me. I'm caring for my 16 yr old sister right now, and it's annoying as fuck, so I TOTALLY get the "my life is dictated by some young brat" thing. I don't know how to counter that. But I think the positives, the experiences, the feelings, vastly outweigh that inconvenience. Anyway, as Homer says, "When you're 18, you're out the door!" (Just kidding, I don't think I could do that.)

you just earned a lot of respect in my book with this post

I completely understand why you are planning on doing this; however, I myself do not believe in absolutes. Just like I can't say I'm definitely going to have kids, I would also never rule it out. I believe in the possibility for anything in my life to happen and to be ready for that. I can tell myself that if my girlfriend ever got pregnant we would have an abortion in a second but who knows how we'd react if it actually happened. Maybe I'd feel differently.

Hey if you someday decide that you want kids you can always adopt.

Exactly.

Also, I completely respect people's feelings on this matter. Children are wonderful and can enrich your lives in ways I will never know. I just feel differently on the matter and appreciate that same respect in return.

That said, the procedure was Friday. It was a complete success. The only thing that caught me off guard was the wafting aroma from the cauterization of my vas deferens. An odor as such should not be originating from that part of the anatomy, let's just say that. No pain, only minor discomfort since. Not even discomfort, really, I am just now aware that part of my body exists. Had a restful weekend and am more or less back in the swing of things.

It was quite an experience. Of course, I was hamming it up in the Doctor's office. See below:

[image]

This is Arlene, the receptionist. She administered my paperwork most efficiently and I felt it was worthy of a snapshot.

[image]

I thought this little basketball hoop was hilarious....

[image]

... so I FUCKING DUNKED IT!!!! Two points for going seedless!!!

[image]

Me and the Doc moments before he told me to drop my pants. I figured I needed a picture with the man that was influence the rest of my life.

i know you're tall, but that doctor must be really short!

HA! No, actually I was standing on the platform at the end of the procedure table. Within about 30 seconds of this photo, I was on my back with my genitals exposed.

The funny thing is we talked about the Gulf oil spill the entire time he was...tinkering.

i dont know if i'd trust my junk to the hands of a surgeon who lets me take wacky photos with him before the operation.

Why not? A little humor prior to such a.... tender procedure makes light of a heavy situation. It really helped to put my mind at rest and distract me from what was about to happen.

Given the alternative; a person as cold and sterile as the tools of the trade; I'd much rather this. He was professional when it came down to business and I would reccomend his services to anyone that is interested.

Warmth and comfort breed trust, in my book.

i dont know if i'd trust my junk to the hands of a surgeon who lets me take wacky photos with him before the operation.

Why not? A little humor prior to such a.... tender procedure makes light of a heavy situation. It really helped to put my mind at rest and distract me from what was about to happen.

Given the alternative; a person as cold and sterile as the tools of the trade; I'd much rather this. He was professional when it came down to business and I would reccomend his services to anyone that is interested.

Warmth and comfort breed trust, in my book.

this all reminds me of................

[image]

man i cant believe i missed this thread. I cant wait to get insurance back at my new job so i can get one done too. It was my goal to get snipped last year but it didnt happen.

I do have a couple questions... Someone told me they question you before hand and just telling them you dont want kids isnt a good enough excuse. They told me to tell em my girl has mental disorders or something in her family history and that should help.

I just cant imagine they would require a reason besides hating, or not wanting kids. seems stupid.

and did insurance cover it or not? seems like insurance companies would be stoked on sterilizations since that saves them money in the long run.

And on a scale of pain/discomfort of 1-10, what would you give it?

man i cant believe i missed this thread. I cant wait to get insurance back at my new job so i can get one done too. It was my goal to get snipped last year but it didnt happen.

I do have a couple questions... Someone told me they question you before hand and just telling them you dont want kids isnt a good enough excuse. They told me to tell em my girl has mental disorders or something in her family history and that should help.

I just cant imagine they would require a reason besides hating, or not wanting kids. seems stupid.

and did insurance cover it or not? seems like insurance companies would be stoked on sterilizations since that saves them money in the long run.

And on a scale of pain/discomfort of 1-10, what would you give it?

You're still in Jax, right, or am I confusing you with someone else?

If you're in Florida, the guy I went to has his main office in Tampa, but has satellite locations all over the state that he goes to from time to time. He does the procedure at the Planned Parenthood in Jax Beach (Atlantic / 3rd, I think). I drove down to Tampa and made a weekend of it; saw some friends, etc.

You may have actually seen the billboards around the state -- Dr. Stein. www.vasweb.com I always thought he looked like a pedo, but I would highly recommend his services to anyone interested.

As for insurance, I paid oop. It was $490. Here in NOLA, the cheapest I saw was approaching $1000. My insurance comes with a $1500 deductible, so I would have had to satisfy it first anyway, not to mention it was out of state for me so I don't know how that would have bearing. I know if you go through insurance, the procedure costs more (go figure). If you can afford it, just pay with cash or credit card.

It's funny, he didn't inquire as to my reasoning until he was half way done with the procedure! I told him I had absolutely no interest in producing offspring and he understood that. So if you go to him, just be honest. He highly believes in sterilization as a form of population control, and is very respectful of the decision for men to not want children / additional children.

On a scale of 1 - 10, during the procedure itself it was a 1. I barely felt anything beyond my junk being touched and the coldness of the situation. Once the anesthetic wore off (topical), I'd rate it a 2 for the next 24 hours. There was some tightness -- picture an elastic band being stretched -- that's what it felt like. The next 24 hours saw that diminish with time -- it was only noticeable when I changed positions from sitting/standing/laying/etc. It has been approximately 72 hours since I had it done, and I'd say the discomfort level is now a 1. It's not discomfort, but I'm aware that my testicles exist, you know?

The first 24hrs are supposed to be sedentary. Reclined, relaxed. The next day you can be up and about, but nothing beyond sitting/walking, really. After 48 hours, you can resume most normal exertions including sexual activity. Wait a few days before running marathons or digging ditches.

If you'd like to hear more detail of my experience, feel free to PM me.

I am indeed in jax for the next couple weeks, but im moving down to tampa so that works out.

I have indeed seen that creepy dude's billboard throughout florida. thats funny you went to him.

Im stoked on getting it done, especially since you said the pain in minimal. I only know one person that has gotten it done and it was like 5 years ago and he said it was somewhat painful. I assume testicle snipping technologies have improved over the last 5 years... thank god!

I am indeed in jax for the next couple weeks, but im moving down to tampa so that works out.

I have indeed seen that creepy dude's billboard throughout florida. thats funny you went to him.

Im stoked on getting it done, especially since you said the pain in minimal. I only know one person that has gotten it done and it was like 5 years ago and he said it was somewhat painful. I assume testicle snipping technologies have improved over the last 5 years... thank god!

It was 20 minutes...that's it. I drove 20 hours for a 20 minute procedure.

He uses the gentle touch method -- no needles or scalpels. Read about it on his website.

If you've been wanting to do so, I'd really reccommend moving forward as soon as possible. I've toyed with the idea for years, but my former circumstance didn't really allow for me to go through with it. That is different now, and it became a topic of conversation two weeks ago. I had it done Friday. I moved quickly so I wouldn't have time to dwell on it. Also, you don't really think of the cost of more traditional forms of birth control, but over the course of the year you delayed, I'd say you could have easily paid for the bulk of the procedure, if not all of it. Perhaps have even had enough left over for one of those Steinways variants you would pay handsomely for!

And if your lady is taking the pill or something else, you'll be pleasantly surprised once she's off of it. Most of the hormones in those forms of birth control have an adverse affect on libido in women -- they don't tell you that part!

Go for it!