Racist Relatives

luckily i never had any real racists in my family growing up... i had some wacky misguided relatives who like wanted to be racist, but were bad at it... like one great uncle who bitched constantly about the italians... and i was like "what about your 100% italian wife josephine" to which he responded... "shes the only good one"

of course now i have to deal with my wife's brother in law's family.... whom pretty much suck at life and drop N bombs at family functions like its going out of style.... i could avoid them, but i don't want to not go to my niece & nephew's bday parties :(

To be honest, I've experienced too many dickish Italian stereotypes around North Buffalo that I've caught myself being very anti-Italian at times. For whatever reason, there's a certain group of people here in North Buffalo who seem to be proud of all the wrong things about Italian-Americans, and I try to remember they represent the idiot class of that ethnicity.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not cool? That he quoted his uncle using a racial slur? Should he censor it? If so, why? How is n****r any worse than typing out the word? The effect is the same and you know exactly what he's saying. If we can't discuss the issues without feeling the need to censor everything then we'll never be able to move forward.

I think it's a little innapropriate using words like that ever, regardless of whether you're telling a story or not. He could have said "the n word" and we all would have known what he meant. Regardless of how he said it he still did say it and I don't think thats right. Disagree with me all you want, no one has the right to say those words.

If he had said "the n word" then we would have all known exactly what he meant. So I ask you again: How is that any different than spelling out the word? That word will always hold it's power if it is continually treated as unspeakable.

What's not cool? That he quoted his uncle using a racial slur? Should he censor it? If so, why? How is n****r any worse than typing out the word? The effect is the same and you know exactly what he's saying. If we can't discuss the issues without feeling the need to censor everything then we'll never be able to move forward.

I think it's a little innapropriate using words like that ever, regardless of whether you're telling a story or not. He could have said "the n word" and we all would have known what he meant. Regardless of how he said it he still did say it and I don't think thats right. Disagree with me all you want, no one has the right to say those words.

Tell that to Nas.

[image]

Tell that to Nas.

[image]

omg? Nas is in the kkkz?

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':ksrs3xiq]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':ksrs3xiq]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

also, to the guy who says that some words should never be used under any circumstances...

that's got to be the silliest thing ever...if the word is used in it's text-book definition it shouldn't garner criticism. Elvis Costello "Drops The N-Bomb" in a song...but it's used in the text-book definition...does that fall under the same "Never To Be Used" catagory, or is differnt because he's English and not American?

lets keep in mind I abhor racism...and that I'm just trying to understand why you think that any word should never be uttered/typed/written under any circumstance

my grandfather is 94 years old, and a couple years ago, we moved him down here with us to a nursing home because my grandmother got alzheimers and they couldn't handle the house anymore. he lived his entire life in a tiny town literally in the middle of nowhere, and never had any interactions with anyone other than white people before. the nursing home here is the best in the area, but it's not in the greatest section of town, and most of the employees just happen to be black. we weren't sure how he'd handle the situation, but he absolutely loves it there and goes on and on about how nice everyone treats him. the only problem is he says things like 'that colored lady down in the dining room is just wonderful!'. my dad apologized to the staff he saw regularly but they just laughed and said how much they love him and what a cute old man he is.

so really, i guess this doesn't fall under the 'racist relatives' category, because he doesn't mean anything negative at all, he's just uninformed and at 94, that's not going to change, haha.

see, my grandma got into with a lady once about this, its really the generation you grew up with, for example her father always used the word "negro" she always assumed based on the time that colored people was an okay term.

i mean, i grew up when black people just wanted to be black people and not african-american. but i work with a very diverse crowd of people and most of them say "man! i'm not from africa!"

but hell man, i'm just cool with calling everybody a human, cause y'all motherfuckers in the same boat as everybody else.

also, to the guy who says that some words should never be used under any circumstances...

that's got to be the silliest thing ever...if the word is used in it's text-book definition it shouldn't garner criticism. Elvis Costello "Drops The N-Bomb" in a song...but it's used in the text-book definition...does that fall under the same "Never To Be Used" catagory, or is differnt because he's English and not American?

lets keep in mind I abhor racism...and that I'm just trying to understand why you think that any word should never be uttered/typed/written under any circumstance

All I was saying was that you can tell a story with using that word. Sure, as most of you have shown me there are plenty of uses of it in the mainstream, congratu-fucking-lations. A bunch of white kids sitting around on a message board shouldn't be saying that shit.

All I was saying was that you can tell a story with using that word. Sure, as most of you have shown me there are plenty of uses of it in the mainstream, congratu-fucking-lations. A bunch of white kids sitting around on a message board shouldn't be saying that shit.

you dont run the internetzzzz. you cant say what people should and shouldnt say on a message board. also who's to say black people, hispanics, asians, and indians dont collect vinyl and post on here? some people get so pissed off about racism here. jesus. its the fucking internet. have you seen this place? there is some terrible shit out there. this message board is not one of them. unless you count that blue waffle thread. dear god. now THATS something to be upset about. that was twenty seven and a half times worse than the use of any words in this thread

maybe at this point in my life...I might just be slightly desensitized by hearing this word more than I'd ever care to in my life (simply based on where I was born and raised...and more-so the family I was born into) and because of that, I don't find it offense in this context. It's a direct quote...from my perspective, this person isn't championing their relative's remarks, they're making people aware of it. It isn't much different than reading about Nazi Germany in a history book...I don't agree with what happened (in either case obviously), but it happened...and I find it odd to criticize somebody for essentially documenting their relative's behavior.

You guys are putting words in my mouth, I simply made the assumption that everyone in this thread was white based on stories I have read and knowing for a fact that most of the people that posted are. I'm not a racist or claiming that minorities don't collect vinyl and aren't on this board, I know a couple who are. I also never claimed to own the internet or this board. I know there is worse stuff on the internet and even this board, I just said I didn't think it was cool using those words in a story talking about racism. If I knew it was going to get people so worked up I would have bit my tongue and not posted anything. You all need to calm the fuck down.

How the fuck do you know who is and isn't white on this board? What, black people can't own a fucking computer now?

so because of this little argument i thought, "Hey, Encyclopedia Dramatica is offensive and good for lolz sometimes! Lets do a search!!"

This is what it yielded.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Nigger

So, no sir.

Oh, and that site, probably not for a certain somebody. Its serious business over there.