Your vote for Worst Punk Band Ever?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are these witty NOFX lyrics that you speak of?

I forgot to answer this part.

Listen to "Your Hubcaps Cost More Than My Car." I find that song very clever. I also find "100 Times Fuckeder" a pretty clever tune. And, while not witty, "Irrationality Of Rationality."

Oh, and I think "Whoops, I OD's" is very clever and witty too.

I could go on and on. But those are some examples.

What are these witty NOFX lyrics that you speak of?

I forgot to answer this part.

Listen to "Your Hubcaps Cost More Than My Car." I find that song very clever. I also find "100 Times Fuckeder" a pretty clever tune. And, while not witty, "Irrationality Of Rationality."

Oh, and I think "Whoops, I OD's" is very clever and witty too.

I could go on and on. But those are some examples.

These lyrics aren't horrible, but they're not great, either. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with these songs as I stopped pretending to give a shit about NOFX after "Punk In Drublic".

NOFX has been around far too long but hey, drugs aren't cheap. They've written some good albums, but I really don't ever need to see them live again. They're pretty bad, but that's largely because they are rich and don't give a fuck. I guess that's pretty punk.

I'm surprised no Bad Religion votes. Talk about being around too long. I think they have an impressive body of work (up through and even including a few of the major label albums), but do they really need to be a band still? I like a lot of their stuff, but after about the first 15 times I saw them in the 90s, I really didn't need to see them play Fuck Armageddon...This Is Hell ever again. Smart guys, very influential (mostly on bad bands, but whatever), but why they continue to perform and/or write new material is beyond me.

The Offspring as a punk band isn't bad (see: Smash and earlier - I'll even say parts of Ixnay on the Hombre aren't too terrible). The Offspring as a major label joke song band is absolutely brutal. "Why Don't You Get a Job" might very well be the worst song of all time (even if it is a Beatles ripoff). Pretty Fly For a White Guy, Original Prankster, etc. Holy bad.

The Sex Pistols are pretty hilarious as far as punk band standards go. They were a "punk" fashion boy band largely put together and controlled by a lame money-hungry manager. They were a punk rock version of N'Sync and NKOTB.

The late 90s and later "punk" bands like Mest, SR-71, Showoff, etc. are just too hilarious to be taken seriously. I forgot how brutal Mest was - those guys were so annoying, they'd go to every bigger "punk" show and throw CDs and tapes at the guys playing. My favorite was during a Weston set opening for someone or another at the House of Blues, they actually tried to get into a conversation with the bass player, who had been in the band for like 5 months, about a guy who had booked them at a local show 2 years earlier. DURING their set. So lame. Also, just watch that video. There's no way those retards wrote that awful yet catchy pop song. They were a cut rate Rancid wannabe band.

Seriously, Anyone who thinks Nofx is a better band than the Ramones needs their head examined. Why can't we all just agree that punk rock has been stale and boring and over all not worth the effort for a long time.

I agree. I don't think anyone said that. I hope no one said that.

I'll disagree that punk is stale. No one is breaking any new ground, but there's still a lot of great stuff coming out.

These lyrics aren't horrible, but they're not great, either. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with these songs as I stopped pretending to give a shit about NOFX after "Punk In Drublic".

I stopped caring about NOFX for a little while, but got sucked back in when Wolves In Wolves Clothing came out. I really loved that record and went back and picked up the few albums that proceeded it. I don't know, I guess with NOFX you get what you expect. Anyone expecting it to be thought-provoking or anything more than a few great songs thrown in with a bunch of mediocre, goofball stuff is barking up the wrong tree. I'll say, however, that every NOFX record has a couple of absolutely stellar tracks and that will always keep me going back.

Seriously, Anyone who thinks Nofx is a better band than the Ramones needs their head examined. Why can't we all just agree that punk rock has been stale and boring and over all not worth the effort for a long time.

Better band how? Like better music? You bet your sweet ass it's better music. So fatty's vocals leave room for desire However, Hefe, Fatty and Smelly are each particularly good at their instrument. Don't believe me? Listen to the decline. So you've heard it's some boring punk rock opera or some shit? That's horse shit. That song is incredible and they play it live VERY WELL.

Don't get me wrong, the Ramones were pretty fucking good. But that three chord madness had to stop. Guitar players who try to figure out NOFX riffs and shit-they've got to know, it's not your typical run of the mill fast, power chord aggression.

Also, weren't the sex pistols some boy band put together by a lingerie company to sell panties or some shit?

Anyway, my vote goes to the Ataris 9if you can call them punk).

Their first few records were excellent, but they can't play live for shit.