Going back to school.

Finally have the opportunity to do what should have been done a decade ago; finish my degree.

I'll be doing most of my course work online, but there will be the occasional course that must be taken in the traditional brick and mortar / ass in seat manner. I find this a bit daunting; I have not been in a classroom environment since 1999.

Are there any other adults on here that have resumed their education later in life? Do you have any insight as to being in a learning environment with individuals 10+ years your junior?

I welcome learning of your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Bradley

While i can't speak to being in a class with people 10 years my junior, i have been in classes with people way older than me (I'm in school now) and there was really no issue, they participated Just as anyone else did. It was an italian class so it wasn't very stressful or anything, but yeah it was no big deal, might be diffent depending on what you're studying.

Best of luck.

[image]

i didn't know they were holding classes! congratulations.

It's a highly sought after degree and they only have openings for a handful of elite level students per year. Generally, they don't accept people of my ilk; the adult learners seeking to rectify a past fuck up in life; but they made an exception for me on account of my sheer fucking brilliance.

But...

It's the University of New Orleans, Dan. Good one, though.

I started college at 24, that was 2 years ago and I won't graduate for a long time. If I could just go to school and not work it would be cake, but life's never that easy.

Nothing like working full-time to put yourself through school while your 19 year old classmates don't even bother showing up.

That said, going to college makes me feel pretty damn good about myself (I was a huge fuck-up in high school and had to repeat 11th grade).

I'm 31. Thanks for that.

Better late than never. My 20s were my mulligan in life. Ready to do shit proper this time around.

I'm 31 and I graduated from my first degree last year. There's no shame in having taken so long.

I've flunked out a lot. Being a single dad and working has not been the best environment to pass in engineering. Being dumb didn't help either. I finished, I passed my FE, and I'm employed. It's a good feeling and comforting to know I won't have to scrape by again.

All I can say is get a degree in something useful--pass on the Spanish art history degree. In my opinion, once you're this far along it probably doesn't even matter where you earn your degree from so long as you learn a skill set requiring a degree for a future job.

Everything else can be learned from a book. Make the money wasted on higher education count! :D

Alex, I haven't seen you post in a long, long time. I'm glad to hear things are going well.

I think about going back to school sometimes. I mean, I know I should, I'm just overwhelmed by it. I'm also now 30. My clock, is a tickin'.

Work's been 100mph since the gulf oil spill. It'll only get more busy once marshland impact is more prevalent. I still try to visit the board at least once a day :)

I can relate with the overwhelming feeling and it is a huge sacrifice. In my case it has been nothing but positive--I couldn't be happier with being miserable a couple years to get that stupid piece of paper.

And as far as having to be in class with young kids--it's not so bad. The only socializing I did was for projects and it was kinda fun to reminisce in all their stupid decisions that I made over and over again at their ages.