Headphone recommendations?

I just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend, but since she works at home and needs quiet/tends to watch tv shows I don't particularly want to subject myself to, I'm in the market for some fancy new headphones. Anyone have any recommendations? Does anyone even make headphones with the 6.35 mm plugs, or will I need to buy an adapter? And if I do, how do I avoid buying a shitty adapter?

Hell yea!!

A lot of high end headphones are all ended with 6.35 (1/4") headphone plugs.

I have a pair of Grado SR125i's which are terminated with the 1/4" plug. I have to use a adapter to go down from the 1/4 to 1/8 for use with my iPod though, but the standard plug on the headphones plugs straight into the big plug on my stereo though. :D

can't go wrong there

their quiet comfort headphones are incredible

if you read a lot of audiophile websites, and look around for "good" headphones, it seems like tons of people despise bose

they sound awesome to me.

i also have a pair of senneheiser wireless headphones and they're great too. better bass with the bose though.

I just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend, but since she works at home and needs quiet/tends to watch tv shows I don't particularly want to subject myself to, I'm in the market for some fancy new headphones. Anyone have any recommendations? Does anyone even make headphones with the 6.35 mm plugs, or will I need to buy an adapter? And if I do, how do I avoid buying a shitty adapter?

First off whats your budget?

i also have a pair of senneheiser wireless headphones and they're great too. better bass with the bose though.

I agree that Bose can sound great. The thing a lot of people don't like about them is that they boost the mids (particularly the low mids) to create a better aural experience. Many people don't like this though as they colour the sound too much and take away from the original recording.

First off whats your budget?

I agree that Bose can sound great. The thing a lot of people don't like about them is that they boost the mids (particularly the low mids) to create a better aural experience. Many people don't like this though as they colour the sound too much and take away from the original recording.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm looking to spend $100-150 right now and maybe upgrading later. I haven't had a chance to check out all of the headphones people have suggested here yet, but I'm gonna get on that today.

^This

My vote goes to Sennheiser HD 555. They have a very specific sound signature though, so you'd have to listen to them beforehand to see if it suits you. But it's definitely the best pair of headphones I have heard in this price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278065323&sr=8-1

Also in the price range, although closed back design: Audio Technica ATH M50S

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S/dp/B001CKAY1C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278065248&sr=8-7

These are a bit over the budget, but well worth it:

Beyerdynamic DT 990

http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-P....8065218 &sr=8-2

Grado Prestige SR225i

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Ser.... 8065189&sr=8-3

AKG K601 (the little brother of K701, but very close in sound character)

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Open-Back-Stud....0 65754&sr=1-14

Guest markovianprocess

I just purchased the DT 990s based on some of the recommendations in this thread. Hope they are awesome!