USPS jacks up rates

“We’re doing this because the Postal Service really faces a serious risk of financial insolvency,” said a USPS official, who then went on a three-hour lunch break while the line at the window continued to snake out the building.

“We’re doing this because the Postal Service really faces a serious risk of financial insolvency,” said a USPS official, who then went on a three-hour lunch break while the line at the window continued to snake out the building.

so (assuming your order is over a pound, the rate is applicable to media mail, and the price of media mail is $4)... 7% of $4 is $0.28... if you have 10 orders in a year, that's $2.80. 100 orders, $28...

is that such a big deal? granted, the consumer may get stuck paying more indirect costs, but it's still probably cheaper than UPS

Almost everything over 2 pounds is the same price or cheaper using fedex. I pretty much only use them now. I can send 30 cds for 5.50 or 5 records for that price, a lot quicker, great tracking info, and less tossing around of packages. For distros or labels, sending anything over 5 pounds is significantly cheaper using fedex.

Any labels or distros should open up a fedex business account. It's seamless, they pick up at your place and all you do is send or fill out your account# and it gets charged to your acount. no waiting in line, no having to have cash or CC on hand, no need to leave your house or office etc.

Almost everything over 2 pounds is the same price or cheaper using fedex. I pretty much only use them now. I can send 30 cds for 5.50 or 5 records for that price, a lot quicker, great tracking info, and less tossing around of packages. For distros or labels, sending anything over 5 pounds is significantly cheaper using fedex.

Any labels or distros should open up a fedex business account. It's seamless, they pick up at your place and all you do is send or fill out your account# and it gets charged to your acount. no waiting in line, no having to have cash or CC on hand, no need to leave your house or office etc.

do you get a discount or lower price if you have an account?

because i just checked with fedex and a 5 pound package costs 11.97 for their cheapest/slowest delivery service available from here to my mom across the country (just to get an estimate).

whereas media mail with the usps is 3.94.

a 2 pound package was 10.49 vs. 2.77

so unless im missing something or you get some serious discounts for having an account, i dont see how its significantly cheaper to ship with fed ex.

also these stories pop up literally MONTHLY online. every few months things circulate about them discontinuing media mail, or raising rates a ton. i remember labels/distros going crazy in the late 90s over stories about discontinuing media mail and stuff. until the post office officially announces rate hikes, or anything, im not gonna get worked up.

do you get a discount or lower price if you have an account?

because i just checked with fedex and a 5 pound package costs 11.97 for their cheapest/slowest delivery service available from here to my mom across the country (just to get an estimate).

whereas media mail with the usps is 3.94.

a 2 pound package was 10.49 vs. 2.77

so unless im missing something or you get some serious discounts for having an account, i dont see how its significantly cheaper to ship with fed ex.

also these stories pop up literally MONTHLY online. every few months things circulate about them discontinuing media mail, or raising rates a ton. i remember labels/distros going crazy in the late 90s over stories about discontinuing media mail and stuff. until the post office officially announces rate hikes, or anything, im not gonna get worked up.

If you only send via media mail, then most stuff is cheaper via usps, but if you send first class, fedex is cheaper. A box of 120 cds, cost me around 11 bucks to ship. Which would be around the same as media mail I'm guessing, and no doubt a hell of lot cheaper and safer than 1st class usps.

For records 35 count LP's is around the same.

If you get big orders, or ship to distros or stores. You deffinitely save a lot of money by not using USPS.

Single records or a small weight would be better via media mail.

You do get a discount for having a business account with fedex yes, I have no clue really how or where the various rates differ? I just give em the package. I know it depends on all kinds of box shapes/sizes etc.

If I ship more than 5-7 LP's I always use fedex. For me cheaper, maybe not cheaper than media mail, but certainly 1st class or priority, but I hate sending stuff via media mail anyway, takes forever and fedex is a lot safer and the tracking rules ass.

It saves you a lot of money if you 1. have a legitimate business account and 2. ship bulk product.

Also, out of curiousity check what the rate would be for sending a 20lb package to the same place... It seems there is a threshold where it only goes up very slightly per pound. My guess would be a 20 lb package vs the 5 lb package would be only a couple extra bucks, I would be curious to know..

Anyway, to answer your question, yes you do save a significant amount with an account. I can't remember what the name of the specific account we have is, but it's a business account, I had to show federal tax id..

The 20 pound rate is 17.12 vs 9.79, fedex still being more expensive, but the gap closed a bit.

i checked 50 pounds as well and that was 33.91 vs 21.49

i guess, i dont really see what is so unsafe about media mail shipping. i would say percentage wise ive had just as many issues with packages in the mail with dhl, ups, fedex, and usps. none are perfect, and ive had issues with them all (moreso with usps, but only because i ship hundreds of packages through them as opposed to the weekly packages from the other carriers).

A lot of people freak out about media mail being so unsafe and horrible. The same carriers carry the package, so if they are gonna jam the package in to a box, they will do it whether it says media, or 1st class on it. they are still carted around in the same big carts. only difference is they get carted to a truck, as opposed to carted to a plane.

time is pretty negligible to me personally. most media mail items arrive in 7 days for me including weekend. 5 days if you live closer, and 10 days at the longest. The fedex ground can take up to 5 business days, but usually is there in 3 business days. i know thats personal preference, but ill totally save 5 or 10 bucks on a package in exchange for waiting an extra couple days.

mostly thats why i was wondering what kind of discount you got for an account over the regular standard prices. Cause i dont really see the advantage of it for any size package.

The tracking is better, but you can still get tracking with the usps. and if you have them scan it at the post office, or if you use shipping at home, print out a manifest in paypal and they just scan the manifest, and all the tracking info is updated.

all the carriers are pretty shitty when dealing with claims in my experience, and none are easy to get a payout on.

PS. i jsut spoke to fedex on the phone (cause im always on the lookout for decreasing shipping costs), and they told me that i would save if i got an account, and its 8% on ground, and 16% on express. Which is a decent savings, but still only saves me a couple bucks and leaves me 50% higher than usps.

"Also impacted by the higher rates will be businesses that ship parcels by USPS. Parcels under one pound will see a 23% hike while the rest will increase by 7%."

Doesn't specifically say Media Mail, so I guess we'll see.

Magazines are media mail. If the magazine publishers are pissed, I think it's safe to say media mail is going up too.