Inception: Spoilers

Just got back - I won't say it's my favorite movie ever, but I will say that it's the first movie that I keep thinking about as I leave the theatre in a while. (edit: fyi, I don't go to many movies in theatres, so take that for what it's worth)

So.. to talk about it without blowing it for anyone, I thought maybe a second, blatantly marked *spoiler* thread would be appropriate.

So if you haven't seen it, I would stop reading it.

So you've seen it?

First, I'll say that while I think Juno is quite cute, there's something about her that makes me wish she wasn't in any movie I ever wanted to see.

I also don't like that 3rd Rock From the Sun kid, but he was actually quite good at the behind-the-scenes conspiracy-plot role. Like... not the main character, but a really good "get us the fuck out" role.

Because I've watched it too many times, every time the British guy's face came on screen, I kept hearing him say, "well, that's just not good enough!" from the episode "Points" in Band of Brothers.

But now... the ending. Was Leo awake?

It wobbles, but obviously it cuts out to leave it up to us. I say he's still in a dream. He comes back to see his children in the exact same pose as his memory? If in any reality he had to run away, his children would have aged, right?

Or did I miss something big? There were a lot of layers of plot going on, and I did have a few beers before going into it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the entire movie worked out as planned or he ceases to care about what is reality and what is not because he has come to terms with his guilt. It's a tragedy either way. If the top falls down, he's in real life, and he lost his wife to an idea he planted in her mind. If the top spins forever, he's given up searching for the truth, and will forever reside in a dream world while his wife waits for him in the real world.

My guess is that everything went as planned and he's back in the real world. I think this because I don't think all of those characters would be prominent in his dream world right off the bat. I could be wrong though. Either way, the movie ruled pretty hard. I would love to see how they filmed the zero gravity scenes. My friend complained that they didn't give any background on Page's character and automatically made her be incredibly interested in Leo's life. I didn't have a problem with that, especially since the length of the movie was already at the 2.5 hour mark.

Yea, movie was nutso-long but it didn't drag anywhere. I almost feel like it's the psychology (rather than philosophy) version of the Matrix in that sort of "what is reality?" theme. It was bad-ass. The zero-gravity scenes were crazy, I would love to see how that was all shot, too. Especially the part where they're all being pushed down the hallway floating together after he stacks them up.

I don't know why, but I'm definitely leaning toward thinking he's stuck in limbo at the end. I usually don't like endings where you don't know what goes on, but I laughed when it cut out because the overall ending really leaves you dying to know what happens and then Nolan teases by cutting to black without the top falling.

I loved, loved, loved how many layers there were in the story.

really dug this movie.

what dom's wife said on the fourth level really emphasized the possibility that the entire movie was just dom's dream. she brings up a good point about how he has accepted a "reality" where a huge corporation is needs him to topple another corporation in a very secret-agent like fashion. if this reading holds, i suppose the reason he could see his kids' faces at the end was because he was able to deal with the guilt of performing inception on his wife.

i don't like this interpretation quite as much, as it's sort of an infinite regress of dreams. it also means that his wife didn't kill herself but actually had the right idea and got herself out of the dream. but doesn't the wife killing herself need to actually happen in order for the concept of inception to hold? her inception was that what she was perceiving wasn't actually reality, so when she woke up, the idea persisted, and thus she killed herself in what we take to be reality. inception entails getting an idea in your sleep that persists in the waking realm.

i also thought that once don woke up in what we assume to be reality, it sort of seemed like none of the crew recognized him much. no words were exchanged, just subtle acknowledgments...

two theories:

1. the whole thing was cobb's dream, until he woke up from the plane. he was never not able to be in LA, he just imagined the whole thing with people who got on the plane with him. the only problem with this is saito quickly making the phone call, but i guess that could be anything.

2. everything did happen as the movie would have you believe. the did a good job of still making level one (new york, in the van) feel like reality. but they did't really mention (that i remember) how they got out of that dream. ellen page's character said they would be alright. everyone wouldve woken up on the plane (as they did) no matter how long it felt like they were stuck in limbo. also, the plane was landing, wouldn't that create the feeling of falling (if the elevator did)? so that is what woke them all up. (or the sedative wearing off)

I went into this movie assuming the entire thing would be a dream. I came out of that movie with a billion and a half questions.

I actually thought the same thing too. I thought near the end with leo and his wife when she said something like 'the fbi & international ppl are all in your head' i could've sworn we were gonna be in either the wife's dream or leo's.

also: (someone correct me if i'm wrong) everytime he's in the dream world, he has a ring on. in the 'real' world he does not. And in the final scene, he does not have his ring on.

the one thing that makes me think it would be limbo is that leo and seito (sp, name?) skipped 4 levels when they came back up. also, how did they get out of limbo if they couldn't get a "kick" from the level above?

Because they die from the gunshot at the end, then they go to the Siberia place which is blown up, which they are in and dead, then they go to the bottom of the ocean, in which they died because they drowned, so then they go back to the plane.

i think that this is one of those movies that you have to go back and watch a second time just to catch everything that happened and make more sense of it.
I wanna see it again too because there are some parts where I missed the dialogue because I was trying to figure things out. I get most of it, but there are still one or two things I'm still confused about.