ipod help

fooood

so my ipod classic just stoped working out of no where.i was listening to it i turned it off and i tryed to turn it on about an hour later and nothing i tryed to reset it and nothing. ive had it almost 2 years and its in perfect condition i never even dropped this thing. has this happened to anyone else on here? and any suggestions?

thanks.

This is a long shot but perhaps the constant charging killed the battery? I've always been under the impression that you should fully charge the battery and then let it drain completely before recharging again. That's what one of the dudes at the Apple Store told my girlfriend when she had to replace the battery in her macbook anyway. Just a guess...

Yea, that's the general rule with anything battery powered, but that doesn't sound like the problem.

Try holding the center button and either play or whatever the top of the circle is called for a few seconds... it's like the hard-reset combo. I forget which it is. Hopefully it's that simple, otherwise you might need to take a trip into the "geniuses" at the Apple Store.

Unfortunately, with Ipods the apple "geniuses" probably won't be much help at all. I had a similar thing happen to an older Ipod classic of mine, took it to them.

"Was this dropped or anything recently?"

"No. It was playing, it froze, I reset it and now it won't turn on"

"So it wasn't dropped?"

"No"

"...cause normally we see this when people drop them and stuff..."

"It wasn't dropped."

(the genius plugs it into a computer, tries to reset it, touches buttons etc... basically everything I've already done and didn't need a genius to do.)

"Well, we can't fix it. (they could have saved me a ton of time and back and forth by stating this up front, cause he already knew that) you can either buy a new one for 10% off or we can sell you a refurbished Ipod for $XXX.XX dollars."

blah. 80gb of music lost and no real answer from Apple as to why this happens other than "it happens". No fixes, no solutions, nothing but a cheap attempt at another quick sale. My favorite part is that if you buy a refurbished one, they keep the old one. I guarantee they fix it and sell it back to someone else. So they COULD have fixed it... but would rather the consumer just buy a new one.

i've had 2 iPods in my life. both of them i got as gifts because i refuse to buy apple products. i took incredible care of both of them. never dropped either of them EVER. never got them wet. never left them in my car in the hot sun. nothing.

and BOTH of them had this same exact problem. i will never buy an iPod with my own money. ever. because (just as adam said) they could fix this problem if they really wanted to, but it's more profitable for them to continue to allow this to happen and try to sell a new iPod to the same customer every 18 months-2 years. fuck that noise.

i've had 2 iPods in my life. both of them i got as gifts because i refuse to buy apple products. i took incredible care of both of them. never dropped either of them EVER. never got them wet. never left them in my car in the hot sun. nothing.

and BOTH of them had this same exact problem. i will never buy an iPod with my own money. ever. because (just as adam said) they could fix this problem if they really wanted to, but it's more profitable for them to continue to allow this to happen and try to sell a new iPod to the same customer every 18 months-2 years. fuck that noise.

yeah i hear you on that i had this one about 2 years and it just went out on me. and the one i had before this one just stoped connecting to the computer for some reason i just about over the ipod

A bunch of my friends have Zunes and love them.

Have you looked up the problem online? Chances are good you aren't the first or hundredth person this has happened to. Do some looking around and try and find a forum where this has been discussed. Usually works for me when I have electronics problems.

I'm still running my super sweet iPod circa 2004. 8-) 20GB, black and white screen, cutting edge of technology. But I really need to upgrade. Not only does it not have enough room for all of my music, but certain artists or albums it just refuses to play. I don't get it. Oh well, I don't use it as much as I used to anyways.

On a side note, I can get a 120GB iPod classic today for the price that I paid for my 20GB iPod six years ago.

My first Ipod was the same 20gb you are talking about. Not sure what generation but it is a click wheel. Thing is a bit beat up but it still works great. I got it brand new from a friend who got a few of them from those giveaways they started years ago. It was right before they started engraving the website into the back of them. I paid him $80 for it. Got my moneys worth. Battery is starting to go but if I use it on a dock on in my truck and it's plugged in it's great. If it gets broken or stolen I won't mind.

I will say this about Apple products: the Applecare is totally worth the extra expense. I'm hard on my iPod because I run with it, bike with it, take it everywhere. Because of that I have to replace it every couple of months. I just walk in, tell them it's broken, they hook it up, see that it's broken, and hand me a new one (refurbished).

Also of note: This is pretty much the end of the line for the classic. Apparently not too many people want to carry 160 gigs of music with them everywhere. Their new "large capacity" iPod is rumored to be a 128 gig. flash-driven unit. Personally I'm bummed. I guess I understand, but I like carrying all my music around and I've got about 120 gigs right now.

I had a 2004 20GB iPod - white outside, non-color screen, and it was still working quite well in 2008 when it got stolen. I dropped the fuck out of it multiple times, too, for example - I was riding my bike and it fell out of my pocket on the street.. so I'm not talking about gentle drops onto a soft carpet or anything.

I have an.. 80GB? Maybe 160GB? iPod classic I bought myself after I graduated from Syracuse and it's never given me a problem.

I'm far from an apple apologist - I think most of their shit is a waste of money, but iPod has never failed me.

I will say this about Apple products: the Applecare is totally worth the extra expense. I'm hard on my iPod because I run with it, bike with it, take it everywhere. Because of that I have to replace it every couple of months. I just walk in, tell them it's broken, they hook it up, see that it's broken, and hand me a new one (refurbished).

Also of note: This is pretty much the end of the line for the classic. Apparently not too many people want to carry 160 gigs of music with them everywhere. Their new "large capacity" iPod is rumored to be a 128 gig. flash-driven unit. Personally I'm bummed. I guess I understand, but I like carrying all my music around and I've got about 120 gigs right now.

damn. I love the classics. I don't want a micro one or nano or whatever.