Frames For Prints

cipp299

So I'm looking to frame a bunch of my concert posters and prints. I know framing can cost a lot of money but I'm looking to spend as little as possible for decent looking frames. A bunch of them are odd sizes or else I would just buy pre-cut mats and frames. Any recommendations of where I could get them done? Or a place where I could order custom mats and frame sizes for fairly cheap? Thanks.

people on here seem to love americanframes I suppose that would suffice i just don't get the hype.

Honestly if you know you are going to frame more than a few things I would just go the diy route pick up a point driver,some acid free mat board and have at it. I usually just find a frame i like in a larger size & cut it to size. Go to a local glass place to pick up some UV glass.

hobby lobby has, by far, the nicest standard-size frames.
you really can't beat their prices i've found some great stuff there i wouldn't mind paying full price either.

yes, just picked up an 18 x 24 for about 20 bucks w/ 50% off. dont ever go there without them being on sale or with a coupon.

the framed from michaels are shit. this is coming from somebody who has purchased from them and hobby lobby.

ive also purchased a number of frames from americanframe.com and theyve all been fine. it pays to crunch the numbers though. sometimes, it would be cheaper to just get a standard frame and have a mat cut. other times not.

if youre close to standard size, id go the route of getting a standard frame and have a mat cut. if its an awkward size, just get a custom frame done. prints that dont look like they belong in a frame and are just being held in place by a mat look like shit.

as many people have suggested, ACID FREE MATING is a must. I don't suggest framing anything of value to you without Mating (acid free at that), the inks in your prints WILL eventually stick to the glass, thus ruining your print...all it takes is a little bit of humidity. Also make sure your backing is Acid Free as well, you never want to store anything that is made of paper inbetween or on Cardboard, Cardboard is highly acidic and will destroy pictures, prints, and photos. On that note when mating also make sure you're using some form of Acid Free tape (Linen Tape works well, but it's pricey), I suggest Photo Corners...the worst tape you can use on your prints is Masking tape, it eventually dries out, leaves an incredibly gross yellow mark on your prints, pictures, or photos and eventually turns to dust and your prints, pictures, or photos slip or fall behind the mating. As far as matboard cutting being easy...it's easy, but it's also easy to make really gnarley over-cuts which don't look so great, and getting a hand mat cutter calibrated perfectly is a bitch and a half....if wherever you're purchasing your mat board from has a computerized mat cutter, use it, it's worth the extra money to have perfectly cut mats (assuming they actually change their blades regularly and don't buy the uber-cheap blades). Glass, as somebody mentioned earlier ALWAYS use a glass with UV protection in it, especially if you're displaying your finished product in a room that catches sunlight at all. Also, make sure you use some kind of seal on the backside of your frame, usually just some crate-paper works, just use some double sided tape along the back of the fram lay it out and pull it tight across the back and trim it down with a razor...this will help keep out moisture, bugs, and dust/dirt. As somebody in this thread mentioned, if your print is a really weird size, custom framing might be your ownly option, mating should never detract from your print, so if it looks horribly un-even, save up some cash and get a custom-built frame (or DIY).

I've got a little over 12 years framing experience and grew up around the stuff my entire life (for better or worse)...feel free to ask any other questions and I'll attempt to answer

DIY framing is simple and cheap. I tend to pick up some pretty nice frames from the thrift store super cheap. They usually have some shitty art of fruit in basket but it's not hard to gut. Then just spray paint the frame the color you want, mat if needed(which is not hard at all to mat yourself) I generally mat and frame all my prints for under $15 using this method.