cheapest way to listen to ipod in car

easiest way is probably just get a new head unit with an aux input on the front, you can probably get one for about $50 nowadays, get a wiring harness for your model car and do some basic wiring

This. Or a cassette adapter. Aux input will be the best quality for sound but will not provide any power to the ipod. The cassette apadter is next in quality and won't shit out like an fm transmitter. I had a $25 part/converter that I used to provide a direct line in with charging capabilities to the JVC head unit in my old Camry http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=jvc+ipod+adapter&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4938913441337991598&ei=4ReLTLSCNMO78gb95JDpCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers That's the best way to go if you have a compatible unit as I'm sure they make them for other companies, but otherwise I find that a cheap head unit with aux or a cassette adapter is definitely better than a transmitter.

easiest way is probably just get a new head unit with an aux input on the front, you can probably get one for about $50 nowadays, get a wiring harness for your model car and do some basic wiring

this. except i went a little more high end. as much time as i spend driving, i splurged a little and got a nice one