ISIS - Oceanic repress (again) soon

[image]

I'll mimic some of the previously mentioned. While the record definitely sounds good, it's very muted. The kick drum is fucking phenomenal though. Mine had a little bit of crackling closer to the center of each disc. But I clean all my records with a brush before playing them. It is, after all, a Pirates Press record so it's more than likely going to contain some grit. And I also don't like that Hymn cut off so quickly.

looks great! what brush do you use? and where did you get it?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[image]

I'll mimic some of the previously mentioned. While the record definitely sounds good, it's very muted. The kick drum is fucking phenomenal though. Mine had a little bit of crackling closer to the center of each disc. But I clean all my records with a brush before playing them. It is, after all, a Pirates Press record so it's more than likely going to contain some grit. And I also don't like that Hymn cut off so quickly.

Yes, I also clean all my records before playing them. I use the pfan stat solution and a standard felt lined brush. I'm hoping this grit will go away over time. I never noticed this on any of the other Pirates Press records I have. In fact, I always noticed how clear they sounded.

Honestly, the "Hym" cut is pretty ridiculous. Even if it turns out that the band wanted it that way, I still can't stand by that decision.

looks great! what brush do you use? and where did you get it?

This is what I use:

[image]

And this solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Pfanstiehl-SA-14-Pfan-Stat-Record-Cleaning/dp/B001MM797M

just listened to the brine, sounded pretty good. minimal noise, and most of the music is loud enough to drown it out anyway.

i appreciated the packing job by RE, but i didn't appreciate that i paid extra for Priority shipping, and it was sent via Media Mail. i know it was sent early and all, but what i was really paying extra for was less handling time during delivery. kinda lame ...

also, anyone else get the liner notes for Shades of the Swarm in their package? it seems like it was just thrown in for packing material.

i got a Brine and it's not the best overall sound, tons of crackling. I'm almost wishing I did just get a black copy and most likely the better sound quality along with it (yes, we know oakland). maybe I'll eBay this bitch :P

I have a good friend who snoozed on the Brine, and would love to have one without succumbing to eBay prices. Maybe we could set something up? Just if you're interested.

i got a Brine and it's not the best overall sound, tons of crackling. I'm almost wishing I did just get a black copy and most likely the better sound quality along with it (yes, we know oakland). maybe I'll eBay this bitch :P

I have a good friend who snoozed on the Brine, and would love to have one without succumbing to eBay prices. Maybe we could set something up? Just if you're interested.

I will let you know. I'm gonna play it again I think.

i gave it another listen and i think i'm gonna keep it after all. maybe it needed a couple plays to knock the gunk off the grooves. it was a little cleaner playback this time.

I cleaned my prior to playing with my VPI. There was quite a bit of residue on the record which didn't surprise me that much considering it was done at Pirates Press. It sounds damn good to me. I don't have any crackling and it sounds like a new record should sound, clean.

My advice to those having issues is to give it a deep cleaning and if you have an anti-static gun use that on it too.

Very sweet. I think each color option (black included) goes great with the art, really. The Seaweed is a little vibrant, but I still think it looks awesome.

i gave it another listen and i think i'm gonna keep it after all. maybe it needed a couple plays to knock the gunk off the grooves. it was a little cleaner playback this time.

No worries. I'm glad your copy is sounding better with each listen. I'm tempted to clean my own Brine, personally, but I've been pretty content with the way it sounds thus far.