Official VC Chicago Thread

+ It's fucking Chicago

+ the city streets are built on a grid so it's very easy to figure out how to get anywhere you need to go around town.

+ lots of cool venues, lots of good tours come through town

+ lots of good restaurants that will cater to whatever your diet may include.

+ lots of good record stores

+ lots of good people

+ very good public transit system

- Construction, which rarely affects you if you don't have a car, which you can very easily operate without

- Winter is occasionally a complete disaster

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my friend just talked about moving to Chicago in the near future since it's not that far away and we've always wanted to go. What are the pros and cons of the city? Before we thought about Chicago we may be looking at NYC or Pasadena CA.

I lived in NYC before I moved to Chicago. I like Chicago way better. Its a nice in between like Boston and NY. Not crazy like NYC and not small town feel like Boston.

I dunno if I'm making sense, but all I know is I love it here.

Chicago seemed like the logical choice to me and my friend (Jake) considering it's still within driving distance from where we live now and I know someone up there already. However I started talking to my best friend (who currently lives in Tulsa and is Jake's stepbrother) and he told me him and his wife are moving to either NYC or Pasadena in 2012 to go to grad school so we may just go to where ever they go to split the rent at first. Also Jake's brother can transfer his job to any Renaissance Hotel in the country and can get me an Jake jobs until we find something else. I'm a television production major and NYC and LA are obviously the biggest cities for that industry but I figured Chicago has some opportunities too.

+ It's fucking Chicago

+ the city streets are built on a grid so it's very easy to figure out how to get anywhere you need to go around town.

+ lots of cool venues, lots of good tours come through town

+ lots of good restaurants that will cater to whatever your diet may include.

+ lots of good record stores

+ lots of good people

+ very good public transit system

- Construction, which rarely affects you if you don't have a car, which you can very easily operate without

- Winter is occasionally a complete disaster

i'm with all these points. i like it when winter storms shut down everything though, i think it's cool. there are educated people here, a bar on every corner, interesting history, good neighborhoods, excellent universities, decent museums and one of the better public library systems i've seen.

also, the film/tv industry in chicago is just about the break -- it's cheaper than LA and NYC, same amount of acting talent, a potentially huge consumer base (10-12 million+ within a couple hours of the city), and many creative people.

i am always blown away when people can't figure out how to get around in chicago. if you know where the lake is (always east), you can pretty much figure out how to get anywhere.

***also, pollution here is almost nothing compared to LA, and chicago doesn't get hot, sticky or smelly (well, i guess a little bit smelly...) in the summer like NYC does.

TONIGHT!

[image]

Saturday, February 19 · 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Beat Kitchen

2100 West Belmont Avenue

Chicago, IL

All ages show. $10.

Doors at 6 PM

Hellmouth ( Ex Suicide Machines) www.myspace./666hellmouth

Explode and Make Up ( Ex 88 Fingers Louie) http://www.myspace.com/explodeandmakeup

Against the Grain ( Detroit Punk Rock) www.myspace.com/atgtheban

• 1 month later...

upcoming record release show for the next UCR release: the debut LP from a great Chicago band called Tension Generation, Get Rad is playing too!!

Friday, April 29th

9 PM | $5 donation

Friendship Fortress | 2833 W Belden in Chicago, IL

http://tensiongeneration.bandcamp.com

http://getrad.bandcamp.com

http://devonkayandthesolutions.bandcamp.com

RSVP on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=164657880255114

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':3r0h2nkv]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':3r0h2nkv]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

• 1 month later...

I'm visitin Chicago on July 14 - 17.

Are there any cools shows during that time?

Also looking for some great eats, Kuma's Corner and Gino's East are on the list. Need some nice breakfast places though.

Also anyone know what the best/cheapest way to get from O'Hare to N Michigan Ave is? Our Hotel is there.

not sure if there are any shows then, justin would be better to ask.

best way to get from o'hare to n michigan ave is probably the blue line, but depending on where your hotel is you might have to transfer to the red line or take a bus. chances are you will be able to walk, and you'll want to because it will be nice out.

some advice: buy a CTA pass for that weekend, they sell 3-day and 5-day passes that are really worth it if you don't plan on taking taxis all over.

what kind of food are you looking to try?

Also looking for some great eats, Kuma's Corner and Gino's East are on the list. Need some nice breakfast places though.

Also anyone know what the best/cheapest way to get from O'Hare to N Michigan Ave is? Our Hotel is there.

Pitchfork is that weekend if you swing that way.

Oooof. You're missing the Snowing/Algernon Cadwallader/1994! show on the 18th. Bummmmmer.

EDIT: Oh, wait, thats June 18th.

Everyone should go to that show. WILL BE SO FUN.

Hmm I don't swing that way, but thanks for letting me know where to avoid annoying hipsters :)

lineup includes

OFF!, Superchunk, Kylesa, Battles

I can't imagine the cost of the ticket to the festival would warrant seeing only those bands.

It's also not like they never come to the bay area either. Oh Well maybe some comedy clubs will have something nice