AAR LP, MANSON LP, MADE OUT OF BABIES LP, GHASTLY

Awesome rebuttal Scott!

Thanks for clearing the air!

I underestimated how DIY you guys really were. Staff of only 20! And holy shit, you review NOFX and Underoath records too!

My bad man.

Thanks for keeping AP so independent, you are a scene legend.

Tell Ian Mckaye I say hey

Seriously, this is how you respond to everything I had to say? Cowardly.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome rebuttal Scott!

Thanks for clearing the air!

I underestimated how DIY you guys really were. Staff of only 20! And holy shit, you review NOFX and Underoath records too!

My bad man.

Thanks for keeping AP so independent, you are a scene legend.

Tell Ian Mckaye I say hey

Dude, you flipped out and went crazy on me. Said "fuck you", etc etc.

How would a "real man" respond without coming across cowardly? Challenge you to fisticuffs or something?

Dude, you flipped out and went crazy on me. Said "fuck you", etc etc.

How would a "real man" respond without coming across cowardly? Challenge you to fisticuffs or something?

Yes, because saying "fuck you" once and then following it by writing a up a fully fleshed out response to your incredibly misinformed post qualifies as "flipping out and going crazy."

i'm not a huge fan of AP anymore, but in Scott's defense they really just sell to the age group that will predominantly buy their magazine. i used to really dig the mag when in high school but now that musical taste has expanded beyond what is mostly covered in AP i stopped buying it. i will occasionally flip through it when in a bookstore to read the reviews but that's about it. i still think the magazine is something that's important for kids who are into music n such but as you get older then buy another magazine.

:D

I have three issues of this magazine and I've never bothered to read any of them, funnily enough.

3. Saying that we "ignore indepedent/underground" releases is completely bullshit. I am the music editor. I personally decide what gets covered and what doesn't. In the new issue (AP 269), out of the 30-plus reviews in print, do you want to know how many were released on a major label? TWO. The rest of the section contains reviews of releases from Solid State, Triple Crown, Important, Rising Pulse, Nuclear Blast, Merge, Warp, No Idea, Fat, Hydra Head, Temporary Residence, Strike First, Rekords, Rise, Asian Man, Tooth & Nail, Noise Pollution, Drag City, Fearless, Don't Stop Believin', End Sounds, Equal Vision, SideOneDummy, Sleep It Off, LAW, Modhouse and Victory, PLUS a handful of self-released titles. This is typical for the reviews section monthly.

this thread is pretty great now.

also not to join in an AP hate or love for that matter i guess, but from that list of labels, i wouldnt exactly be saying thats very underground or anything.

i wont argue whether the labels are "independent" or not, but some of those labels have some major corporate backing, and most of them are some of the biggest "independent" labels around, whose artists get corporate radio play and perform in stadiums/ampitheaters.

im not at all equating that with being bad, or the negative (i love a lot of bands on those labels). im just saying i wouldnt tout being underground with that roster, and only does more to solidify the other dudes point.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':avxhdlsg]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':avxhdlsg]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

scott,

what was the intention on bringing up the fact that you had copies of the charles manson record to review but you have zero intention on reviewing them? for someone who wants to come off as the good guy here, you're digging yourself into a hole.

if you don't like what brent does, then YOU YOURSELF shouldn't support that. i get that point completely. but seriously, nobody fucking gives a shit. nobody wants to hear you talk about it in every single magic bullet related thread. why don't you just give those charles manson records to other places who WILL review it, or even just send them back to brent if you are seriously that adamant on not supporting his label's efforts? just seems like it would make more sense to me. it's like a "thanks but no thanks" thing.

or is using your position at a magazine as a manner of stroking your own dick that much more important?

3. Saying that we "ignore indepedent/underground" releases is completely bullshit. I am the music editor. I personally decide what gets covered and what doesn't. In the new issue (AP 269), out of the 30-plus reviews in print, do you want to know how many were released on a major label? TWO. The rest of the section contains reviews of releases from Solid State, Triple Crown, Important, Rising Pulse, Nuclear Blast, Merge, Warp, No Idea, Fat, Hydra Head, Temporary Residence, Strike First, Rekords, Rise, Asian Man, Tooth & Nail, Noise Pollution, Drag City, Fearless, Don't Stop Believin', End Sounds, Equal Vision, SideOneDummy, Sleep It Off, LAW, Modhouse and Victory, PLUS a handful of self-released titles. This is typical for the reviews section monthly.

this thread is pretty great now.

also not to join in an AP hate or love for that matter i guess, but from that list of labels, i wouldnt exactly be saying thats very underground or anything.

i wont argue whether the labels are "independent" or not, but some of those labels have some major corporate backing, and most of them are some of the biggest "independent" labels around, whose artists get corporate radio play and perform in stadiums/ampitheaters.

im not at all equating that with being bad, or the negative (i love a lot of bands on those labels). im just saying i wouldnt tout being underground with that roster, and only does more to solidify the other dudes point.

Okay, then let's go back an issue to AP 268—here are some more labels whose releases we covered: Prosthetic, Recess, Housecore, No Sleep, Paw Tracks, The End, Eulogy, Favorite Gentlemen, Paper + Plastick, Suburban Home, Ryko, Sargent House, Crossroads Of America, Werewolf Heart, Good Fight, Panic, Saddle Creek, Vagrant, Bright Antenna, Afternoon, Black Box, Decon and Kill Rock Stars. Also, out of all the releases in this issue, only one was on a major label.

The issue before that, AP 267—4AD, Red Scare, Earthology, Anti-, Work Song, Frenchkiss, Sub Pop, Polyvinyl, Volcom, Matador, Century Media, Om, New Granada, Doghouse, Loveway and Deathwish Inc. (There were also five major label releases reviewed in this issue.)

How is this not a pretty valid cross-section of independent rock/punk-based labels?

scott,

what was the intention on bringing up the fact that you had copies of the charles manson record to review but you have zero intention on reviewing them? for someone who wants to come off as the good guy here, you're digging yourself into a hole.

if you don't like what brent does, then YOU YOURSELF shouldn't support that. i get that point completely. but seriously, nobody fucking gives a shit. nobody wants to hear you talk about it in every single magic bullet related thread. why don't you just give those charles manson records to other places who WILL review it, or even just send them back to brent if you are seriously that adamant on not supporting his label's efforts? just seems like it would make more sense to me. it's like a "thanks but no thanks" thing.

or is using your position at a magazine as a manner of stroking your own dick that much more important?

I should clarify—only one copy of the Charles Manson CD was sent to me for potential review. The other two came thrown in with a big vinyl order I placed with ILC. I should also clarify that the Charles Manson CD was sent to me unsolicited, meaning I never requested it nor promised it would receive coverage.

As I explained up above to the jailhouse guy, I get hundreds of review submissions monthly, and it's impossible to cover them all. I have to prioritize what I think our readers would be interested in as well as what I'm interested in. The Charles Manson CD didn't fall into either of those categories.

scott,

I should clarify—only one copy of the Charles Manson CD was sent to me for potential review. The other two came thrown in with a big vinyl order I placed with ILC. I should also clarify that the Charles Manson CD was sent to me unsolicited, meaning I never requested it nor promised it would receive coverage.

As I explained up above to the jailhouse guy, I get hundreds of review submissions monthly, and it's impossible to cover them all. I have to prioritize what I think our readers would be interested in as well as what I'm interested in. The Charles Manson CD didn't fall into either of those categories.

you side-stepped my question:

what was the intention of even bringing it up to begin with?

i get it, you have limited space and can't review everything. but why even bring it up? it seems like you were going out of your way to be a dick, which is what you consistently accuse brent of doing.

pot/kettle.

you side-stepped my question:

what was the intention of even bringing it up to begin with?

i get it, you have limited space and can't review everything. but why even bring it up? it seems like you were going out of your way to be a dick, which is what you consistently accuse brent of doing.

pot/kettle.

It came up because loki mentioned he never got one for review, and I just thought it was funny that I received three when I'm obviously not exactly Brent's biggest fan. It was one tiny remark. It's not like I'm acting like Brent and attacking people (customers, even!) to their faces when they innocently ask for something as simple as pressing information.

Also, I've been told there's a thread on vlv about this, but seeing as how that board's gone private, I can't exactly see it. Any good insults being lobbed my way?