Yo, France! What's the deal?

I'm sure the current retirement age in the States will go up by the time most of us are ready to retire. It might suck, but what else are you going to do?

My grandfather retired two years ago, retired last year, and retired again this year. He gets so bored that he keeps going back to work.

I'm sure the current retirement age in the States will go up by the time most of us are ready to retire. It might suck, but what else are you going to do?

My grandfather retired two years ago, retired last year, and retired again this year. He gets so bored that he keeps going back to work.

He could volunteer at places...

I'm not judging, but the positions he takes then gives up in a year represent jobs for the unemployed, the newly graduated, etc. Moreover, they cost money to hire and re-hire in short order. If the main objective is to stave off boredom, there are other more productive ways to do so.

And again, retirement age is irrelevant so long as you've adequately prepared yourself. The only people that should be pissed are those approaching it within the next decade or so who were banking on this social assistance to make ends meet. As for the rest of us, we should all be planning for socialized retirement to not even be available when our turn comes.

As for the rest of us, we should all be planning for socialized retirement to not even be available when our turn comes.

I do not expect there to be any type of socialized system by the tiem I reach retirement age and plan to either A) work until I die or B) build something of my own.

We'll see...

my dad was pretty much forced into retirement after working at the same place for over 30 years. he took a temp position at the state in the mailroom (after trying his hand at seasonal retail and hating working weekends/nights) that turned into a fulltime job. the guy loves it; he says it's the first time in his life that he can go to work, do mindless labor, come home, and not think about it.

the sad thing is, where he works, they don't hire the smartest/best/most qualified person. they deliberately hire retired people, or older people because they don't want the younger, more motivated people who just want a foot in the door to keep moving up (and out of the mailroom). i get that they don't want to keep retraining and rehiring people (attributed to laziness on the part of the supervisor), but seriously? you're going to deny a smart, young college grad an entry level job in favor of someone far less qualified or in need of a job?

It's kind of a serious problem for them. Their young-to-old ratio is extremely low.

Which is why the retirement age needs raising. As does ours.

Granted poor people die a lot younger than people with means so the good news is we'll be paying out less in social security to older poor folks who will still be required to pay for a retirement large numbers of them will not be able to have. That totally makes more sense than just removing the cap that says we can't tax income over 100k for social security. Wait...

My birthright is to be able to live in a society free of fear, intolerance, and strife. Don't see that happening either.

lulz.

today some of the attorneys were discussing that juan fellow who got fired from npr for his remarks about being afraid of 'arabs' on airplanes. one of them asked me if i was afraid if i got on an airplane and saw said 'arabs'. when i answered no, i more or less got called crazy, and they attributed the craziness to me being a different generation. i attribute my crazy to not being a bigot.

Juan got fired for breaking NPR's journalistic code of ethics and by proxy his contract.

lulz.

today some of the attorneys were discussing that juan fellow who got fired from npr for his remarks about being afraid of 'arabs' on airplanes. one of them asked me if i was afraid if i got on an airplane and saw said 'arabs'. when i answered no, i more or less got called crazy, and they attributed the craziness to me being a different generation. i attribute my crazy to not being a bigot.

Juan got fired for breaking NPR's journalistic code of ethics and by proxy his contract.

they all thought that it was absolutely ridiculous, blaming it on npr being too liberal, with one repeatedly lamenting 'it's so unfair, i don't understand. he wouldn't even hurt a fly!'

because obviously one's propensity for killing/maiming/hurting others has everything to do with him getting fired.

i can't even argue with people like that cuz it's not worth it.

they all thought that it was absolutely ridiculous, blaming it on npr being too liberal, with one repeatedly lamenting 'it's so unfair, i don't understand. he wouldn't even hurt a fly!'

because obviously one's propensity for killing/maiming/hurting others has everything to do with him getting fired.

No, I mean NPR has a standard that says you can't go on other shows without their permission and even if you have it you can't editorialize. It's designed to keep them from ever coming across at opinion journalism. Dude has been doing it anyway for a long time and it finally bite his ass. And I'm a fan of Juan. Dude wrote a great book about the civil rights movement. He should probably go re-read it.

No, I mean NPR has a standard that says you can't go on other shows without their permission and even if you have it you can't editorialize. It's designed to keep them from ever coming across at opinion journalism. Dude has been doing it anyway for a long time and it finally bite his ass. And I'm a fan of Juan. Dude wrote a great book about the civil rights movement. He should probably go re-read it.

I understand, I was just saying that no one here who was discussing him even mentioned that the appearances were technically a breach of contract. they merely wanted to demonize npr, which they perceive as too liberal, apparently.

I understand, I was just saying that no one here who was discussing him even mentioned that the appearances were technically a breach of contract. they merely wanted to demonize npr, which they perceive as too liberal, apparently.

Ah got it. Sorry, I've been dealing with listening to moronic fools the last two days who can't be bothered to read an actually news source about the story. The best part? NPR gets about 2% of its funding from the government and none of it is direct funding.

Ah got it. Sorry, I've been dealing with listening to moronic fools the last two days who can't be bothered to read an actually news source about the story. The best part? NPR gets about 2% of its funding from the government and none of it is direct funding.

HA, i just read that. http://hubbub.wbur.org/2010/10/22/npr-funding

i can't grasp the idiocy of some people (especially those with some sort of power, political or otherwise) in this country.

While that seems like nothing for us Americans, the rest of the world doesn't live at work like we do.

(They get shit done faster and go home.)

Probably because their IT guy or Sys Admin or whatever blocks sites like this one during working hours.

I wonder what the number of manhours lost per week for this board alone is.

i saw something the other day where it said Americans were the most over-worked country on earth.

sounds like truth.

Well.. yes and no.

Americans vacation less and spend more hours-per-week at work. This gives the appearance that we are working way too hard.

In reality, we just slack off way too much. Much of Europe is heads and shoulders above us in productivity/efficiency. That's why they have 4 weeks of vacation and take two hour lunches, etc.