Yo, France! What's the deal?

They're raising the retirement age, so Frenchmen are taking to the streets like there was a baguette shortage.

...there's a lot more to it than that, I just wanted to use the term "baguette shortage."

'the great baguette shortage of 2010'

ok, i mean, the article mentioned the whole raising the retirement age to 62 thing, but i was all 'man, there's no WAY those goofy french people would be jeopardizing their chance to see gaga perform over some silly bill raising the retirement age!'

You can't comment using our methods as a frame of reference. You'd be outraged too if you were French. Particularly a 59 year old looking forward to retirement.

And anyone can retire at any time they like in any country. If you want your free handout, you wait until we say you can. Seems fair.

Not true. You're young. Start planning now.

i'm already putting the max amount allowed from my paycheck each week into whatever retirement fund the state has set up and matches (if you stay long enough).

but now i'm running into the 'stay at a job that i hate and sucks the life out of me, but guarantees a decent retirement one day' vs. 'do what i love and run the risk of being screwed come retirement age' dilemma.

http://frenchtribune.com/teneur/101642-french-strike-save-birthright-privileges

Frenchmen and women, social benefits like long vacations, state-subsidized health care and early retirement mean more than mere luxuries. For them, such things are a birthright and regarded as an important part of present France's identity.

Frenchmen and women, social benefits like long vacations, state-subsidized health care and early retirement mean more than mere luxuries. For them, such things are a birthright and regarded as an important part of present France's identity.

My birthright is to be able to live in a society free of fear, intolerance, and strife. Don't see that happening either.

My birthright is to be able to live in a society free of fear, intolerance, and strife. Don't see that happening either.

lulz.

today some of the attorneys were discussing that juan fellow who got fired from npr for his remarks about being afraid of 'arabs' on airplanes. one of them asked me if i was afraid if i got on an airplane and saw said 'arabs'. when i answered no, i more or less got called crazy, and they attributed the craziness to me being a different generation. i attribute my crazy to not being a bigot.

Not true. You're young. Start planning now.

i'm already putting the max amount allowed from my paycheck each week into whatever retirement fund the state has set up and matches (if you stay long enough).

but now i'm running into the 'stay at a job that i hate and sucks the life out of me, but guarantees a decent retirement one day' vs. 'do what i love and run the risk of being screwed come retirement age' dilemma.

just eventually become the straight edge annie leibovitz.

on one of my last trips to chicago there was an orthodox jewish gentleman sitting next to me, who at one point stood in the aisle and started praying, i don't know if it was a holy day/time, or the fact that we were flying over niagara and he was stoked at god's creation.... but man o man was it funny to see the expressions on the other passengers faces... everyone was freaking out and they made the stewardess ask him to sit down

I was at Cedar Point recently (world's largest roller coaster park, and one of the few things in Ohio worth doing). And there was a Muslim fambly praying. There was a middle aged couple in front of us in line...and mind you, this is in a corner of the park where there is hardly ANYTHING, only a couple of the less-popular carnival type rides. And they were making a big deal of it. "What are they doing?" I told them it was sundown and they were praying towards Mecca. The woman said, "I can't believe they're allowed to do this in the park!" I told her it was a free country. And the man says, "This one is, theirs ain't. You couldn't pray there," - I love the amorphous "their country," as if all Muslims come from the same place. I said as far as I know, this is their country, and asked him if he'd rather it be LESS free. They just said, "as long as they don't blow up the ride."

...because terrorists would go after the Ocean Motion ride in the middle of fucking Ohio.

When we all got off the ride, the women and kids and finished praying, and they were hugging, like a big happy fambly. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Ohio Asshole saw that, but if they did, it probably didn't make a difference.