West Memphis Three get new hearing!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20021845-504083.html

The decision by the Arkansas Supreme Court Thursday to grant a new hearing to the "West Memphis 3," the three men convicted as teens of murdering three Cub Scouts in 1993, could lead to their eventual release from prison.

But Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel claims that the new DNA evidence which led to the decision does not necessarily prove that the three men are innocent, and he will continue to defend the guilty verdicts that were handed down to Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley in 1994.

McDaniel issued a statement Thursday saying that his office is reviewing the ruling, but respects the court's decision.

He says his office "intends to fulfill its constitutional responsibility to defend the jury verdicts in this case."

Defense attorney Dennis Riordan, whose client Damien Echols has been on death row for the past 16 years, sees the court's ruling as a "landmark victory" for his client and co-defendants Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley, who are serving life sentences.

In a statement to Crimesider, Riordan said the ruling made the case "an entirely new ball game."

"The Court makes clear that Damien, Jason, and Jesse have presented substantial claims of innocence that must be given careful judicial consideration," he said.

The statement also says that Damien "was calm, but deeply grateful for the ruling and all the support he has received from all over the country. He is looking forward to what comes next with quiet hope."

The eastern Arkansas murder case has drawn the attention of Hollywood celebrities and civil rights activists.

Actor Johnny Depp has thrown his support behind the West Memphis 3 in hopes of clearing the three men he believes were wrongly convicted of heinous crimes. Depp told 48 Hours | Mystery, "They were easy targets," and that, "There was a need for swift justice at the time to placate, understandably, an angry and frightened community."

Jessie Misskelley Jr., Jason Baldwin, and Damien Echols have been in prison for 17 years after they were convicted of murdering Steve Branch, Christopher Byers, and Michael Moore, whose bodies were found bound and mutilated in a creek.

alk3, the dixie chicks, and most people with a brain are stoked!

I think it may have been Dateline, but this year a news show did a hour-long piece on the WM3 with updates and whatnot. I watched it with my parents and by the end of it, they both were upset and infuriated that something like this would have happened. I had a lengthy discussion with them about it on why they reacted that way. They explained that being that I've always been into metal and aggressive music and dressed a certain way (esp. in high school), it's an injustice that these individuals were targeted initially based on their appearance and "odd" behavior and no real evidence to prove them guilty of the murders.

Precisely. It's one of those things where it resonated with me based on that, and the fact it is just an entirely fucked up situation. I've given people the book, and the Paradise Lost films, and now many of them are really huge advocates for the WM3. It's nice to see that this something garnering attention from many different people all over the country. Hopefully, soon, they will be released.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20021845-504083.html

alk3, the dixie chicks, and most people with a brain are stoked!

I have a brain! This is excellent news! I wrote my final paper senior year of high school on this topic (TEN YEARS AGO!). I'm sure Henry Rollins will be just as stoked as I am.