PO The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I 2xLP

Up now at Barsuk Records;

http://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark103

"The Dismemberment Plan are pleased to announce that their underground classic emergency & i will be released on vinyl for the first time on January 11, 2011. In the eleven years since its release, emergency & i has been widely regarded as the definitive artistic statement from the beloved Washington D.C. quartet and has found its way onto many best-of lists, including the #16 spot of Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 90's.

Originally released on DeSoto Records, this vinyl re-issue will be presented in gatefold 180-gram audiophile-grade vinyl with a giant full-color photo collage and in-depth liner notes, plus four rare bonus tracks, also never before available on high quality vinyl. "

$12.50 for a single LP before shipping is a lot, yes. Especially if you can't order just one.

It's not like it's two separate LPs in a package deal. There's only 1 jacket, 1 shrinkwrap/polybag, 1 promo sticker on the cover, 1 insert....etc. So can you really justify another $12.50 for a second record that, when you press thousands of them, costs like $2-3?

If it's worth $25 to you to have it immediately, by all means buy it. I'll pick one up when it's half the price in a few months.

Over $40 is free shipping (and over 70 is a tote bag, for those who care). I was waiting to order a couple records until the D Plan came up. Anyone who doesn't, like myself, should have this on LP.

And there's not so many price issues. Sonic Youth's latest usually goes around 30 on double 180g, plus you save on tax, etc.

Buy that shit.

I agree that it should have been color, though -- something to match the cover.

Again, if it was medical care or water we're talking about I'd be right there with you. But you don't need records. Still, it's everyone's right to complain about prices, and this is a record collecting forum so it's silly of me to care that you think it's expensive.

I will say this though: there's a reason you don't find high-quality audiophile pressings of great jazz records on pink and blue splatter vinyl. Aside from being remarkably silly and pointless to the music contained therein, black vinyl just sounds better. I know people will say with all sorts of authority that this is not true. I'm here to tell you, with no authority by my own 36 years of experience to back me up, that 180 gram black virgin vinyl (assuming proper recording, mastering, pressing, etc.) sounds noticeably better than color vinyl in any of its myriad forms.

When black is an option, I chose black, even if it's the most common color.

Again, if it was medical care or water we're talking about I'd be right there with you. But you don't need records. Still, it's everyone's right to complain about prices, and this is a record collecting forum so it's silly of me to care that you think it's expensive.

I will say this though: there's a reason you don't find high-quality audiophile pressings of great jazz records on pink and blue splatter vinyl. Aside from being remarkably silly and pointless to the music contained therein, black vinyl just sounds better. I know people will say with all sorts of authority that this is not true. I'm here to tell you, with no authority by my own 36 years of experience to back me up, that 180 gram black virgin vinyl (assuming proper recording, mastering, pressing, etc.) sounds noticeably better than color vinyl in any of its myriad forms.

+1

$12.50 for a single LP before shipping is a lot, yes. Especially if you can't order just one.

It's not like it's two separate LPs in a package deal. There's only 1 jacket, 1 shrinkwrap/polybag, 1 promo sticker on the cover, 1 insert....etc. So can you really justify another $12.50 for a second record that, when you press thousands of them, costs like $2-3?

If it's worth $25 to you to have it immediately, by all means buy it. I'll pick one up when it's half the price in a few months.

+1. check out this man's LP prices and try to refute his logic.

well, except the half the price in a couple months part. i'm not sure it'll be that soon. ;) i kinda wanna buy this but $25 will deter me for the time being. are the bonus songs from some singles or something?

are the bonus songs from some singles or something?

the bonus songs are from a split with Juno and single/ep that was put out during the short stint with Interscope and the b side to What do you want me to say?

The First Anniversary of Your Last Phone Call is a really good song.

are the bonus songs from some singles or something?

the bonus songs are from a split with Juno and single/ep that was put out during the short stint with Interscope and the b side to What do you want me to say?

The First Anniversary of Your Last Phone Call is a really good song.

That split is awesome!

You do make a good point. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the price of this LP when I've paid $50 for some of the Nat "King" Cole reissues by Analogue Productions.