NASA News Conference on Astrobiology - Dec. 2nd

are you a thirteen year old?

i am dumber for reading your reply.

Most 13 year olds believe everything they're told. Because I'm skeptical that makes me immature?

The Cold War was the sketchiest time (up until the Bush Administration) in US history. People use the term "conspiracy theory" to as a euphemism for "bullshit", as if no one has ever conspired to do anything. I guess the Gulf of Tonkin and "weapons of mass destruction" are conspiracy theories, too.

"You expect me to believe that not only did we put people on the moon with 1969 technology, but communication between Earth and the moon were nearly crystal clear? "
The velocity (or speed) of a radio wave radiated into free space by a transmitting antenna is equal to the speed of light - 186,000 miles per second or 300,000,000 meters per second. Because of various factors, such as barometric pressure, humidity, molecular content, etc., radio waves travel inside the Earth's atmosphere at a speed slightly less than the speed of light. Normally, in discussions of the velocity of radio waves, the velocity referred to is the speed at which radio waves travel in free space.

the distance from the moon to earth is 1700'ish kilometers which is around 1000 miles. if it takes a second for radiowaves to travel 186,000 miles, unimpeded by objects, then it makes sense why you can hear clearly from space to earth via radio transmission.

The moon is way further than 1000 miles away.

Also, not sure why everyone is so up Martin's butt. I've always been a little skeptical as well. However, I do tend to think that it actually happened, mostly because of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Guest errolwest
The universe is fucking rad.

Yeah. I really wish it would stop. Its starting to hurt.

haha! its mind boggling at times. way too much to take in/comprehend.

Guest errolwest

I work in a planetarium. This statement is backed.

Speaking of planetarium, have you seen the movie "Adam"? It's about a guy who has Aspergers syndrome and blah blah blah...anyway that movie rules.

best synopsis ever.