Community Service

drabley

I have some upcoming community service hours (32) as part of my brush with the law a few months back. Court is Feb 16, but I have the opportunity to get my community service, classes, etc out of the way first. Will help me out in that I'm taking a proactive approach, so hopefully I'll get dropped down to a lesser charge.

I was looking through the list of approved community service locations; the typical gamut of soup kitchens, outreach centers and the like, and one location jumped off of the page at me:

http://www.thegreenproject.org/

I am a pretty frequent customer of the Green Project and was super stoked to see them on the list. I am fully behind their cause and am actually excited about my community service! I may even continue to volunteer my time with them if it is half as enjoyable as I envision it being.

Who else has paid a debt to society? Was yours as cool as mine is looking to be?

I've had to do it for school and a brush with the law. I've volunteered in hospitals and worked a food pantry, which I did/do anyway, so it never phased me that I had to do community service, which is exactly why it baffles me when my brat high school seniors bitch about having to do 15 hours in order to graduate.

Fuckin' man up and give something back, you jackasses.

my college's motto was 'educate to serve' and we had a big school wide event every fall called 'into the streets' where all the groups on campus would go out into the immediate community and do things like rake leaves for elderly people, volunteer at soup kitchens, etc.

we also had classes that had a community service requirement. even my genetics class had one; and it had to be genetics related. i'd like to see you find some community service that has to do with the field of genetics.

that being said, i enjoy volunteering at my local humane society, though i haven't been there lately.

I did community service to get the Bright Futures scholarship in Florida. I think I needed 60 hours, but I ended getting a ton because I got the initial 60 volunteering at a hospital over the summer when I was 14, which was boring as shit since they don't give 14 year olds much responsibility at a hospital. I later ended up 'volunteering' in an office at school during one of my class periods instead of taking a class, which was awesome. Aside from running the occasional errand, my duties mostly consisted of decorating the office for whatever holiday was coming up, chatting it up with the two old lady secretaries, and hearing stories of dumb shit kids do from the nurse and school resource officer.

I did something like 125 hours of community service when I was 14. I had to clean some nasty shit. Dead dogs, condoms, needles. Once we found a safety deposit box that had been dropped after a robbery and we all got $25 gift certificates from the guy who had been robbed, and one time we spent the entire day looking for a pregnant pit bull.

The last time I did community sevice they made me rake leaves in the woods, and I pooped in the leaf pile.

i've never done community service for probation or anything.

but i have volunteered for various organizations such as the food bank and for several years me and my friends made food bags (sandwich, chips, banana, etc etc) on random weekends and handed them out to the homeless people downtown for the fuck of it. this year i volunteered for the charity run (to help children) and helped pick up trash. i dont see how anyone bitches about volunteering. it's not that bad. even as a kid my dad would make me help the elderly people in the neighborhood by cleaning their yards after he'd cut them and edge them for free.

you'd be surprised on how many people won't do anything for free, even if it's to help someone out by helping move a dresser.

I just want to hear about this brush with the law

It was more like a crash with the law.

I was driving home and an off duty cop ran a stop sign and totaled my car. Long story short; he didn't even get a ticket and got a nice comfortable ride home. I got handcuffs and a ride to jail (where I spent 24 hours). My lady was taken away by ambulance and spent the night in the hospital.

HE HIT ME!!

And now I have to do all of this other bullshit on top of it; classes, AA, community service, fines, FUCK!

Every time I see a cop I want to puke.

Thrown under the bus.

He probably had a beer or two a few hours before the crash and that was enough for them to assume he was "under the influence"...hence AA.

Precisely.

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous! But, think about this, you KNOW there's some awful karma heading to that shitty cop, right?

That dude's dick is gonna fall off.

As for community service, I haven't been caught doing anything unlawful (I once did make it from a cop when he saw me drive 105 mph in my '91 honda civic...loooonngg story, but fucking CRAZY).

And to Mike (controlthebleeding), that's pretty rad of you and your friends to hand out the food bags. The only thing I feel good about is pulling up to a corner where there is a homeless person and handing them $5 or $10. I don't care where the money goes to, and it bothers me when people say, "They just spend the money on booze" -- who the fuck cares, I'd drink too if I were homeless and possibly heavily depressed.

I just want to hear about this brush with the law

It was more like a crash with the law.

I was driving home and an off duty cop ran a stop sign and totaled my car. Long story short; he didn't even get a ticket and got a nice comfortable ride home. I got handcuffs and a ride to jail (where I spent 24 hours). My lady was taken away by ambulance and spent the night in the hospital.

HE HIT ME!!

And now I have to do all of this other bullshit on top of it; classes, AA, community service, fines, FUCK!

Every time I see a cop I want to puke.

Thrown under the bus.

Assuming this happened in Louisiana, I've heard the law is pretty fucked up down there. On a train ride to Arizona I had a guy tell me how corrupt the law is down there and how they actually have in's with drug dealers and what not.

I can't believe he got away with that though. I've seen cops bust cops for stuff like that in MD and ESPECIALLY VA.

Guest errolwest

Seriously though, you're lucky those were your only consequences. It could have been much worse.

this is some of the worst logic ever. things can ALWAYS be worse. what happened can hardly be described as favourable

Well, considering you're not old enough to do anything but spend your parents money and possibly wet the bed, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

If only that was true.

Seriously though, you're lucky those were your only consequences. It could have been much worse.

so....let me get this straight. he's lucky that even though he wasn't the one at fault in the accident, he's the one getting unfairly charged with all that crap?

logic, how does it work?