Best Album I Didn't Hear This Year

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghost - Opus Eponymous: Not feeling it. Sounds like cheesy soft metal. Live video was very gimmicky. (No Download Link)

Merchandise - (Strange Songs) In The Dark: Super fuzzy. This is definitely something I'll have to listen to a few time before I can make up my mind. (Download Link)

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here: Doesn't really build up enough for me. One of the comments called it Nu-Gaze and I guess that makes sense. (No Download Link)

Only had time to check out three tonight. All three were pretty different and stretched what I normally listen to so I'd say it has been a success. Keep it weird.

EDIT: Listened to Merchandise on the way home from work and I'm going to pass on them.

Mark Mcguire - Off In The Distance: Is this really just two long songs? Not hating, I just want to make sure. Makes Emeralds sound like party jams. (No Links At All, but I found a mediafire download easily)

Big Eyes - Demo: Some of the best female fronted rock I've heard. I could probably get through a whole song without skipping it, which is more than I can say for other women fronted groups. It is actually kinda fun. (Download Link)

Envy On The Coast- Lowcountry: Pretty good. I've heard some songs off of it before and saw some performed live. Definitely closest to what I traditionally listen to. (No Download Link)

Download links are appreciated, because I'll probably hear the songs again randomly whereas the other ones will just be faint memories.

Mark Mcguire - Off In The Distance: Is this really just two long songs? Not hating, I just want to make sure. Makes Emeralds sound like party jams. (No Links At All, but I found a mediafire download easily)

haha... Mark McGuire is the guitarist for Emeralds.

And yes, it is just two long songs. That record rules! 8-)

Pitchfork chiming in.

36. Emeralds

Does It Look Like I'm Here?

[Editions Mego]

Emeralds were a little tricky this year. After 2009's way-far-out What Happened, you expected the Ohio drone aesthetes to launch even crazier cosmic blastoffs, but instead they toned things down and went more ambient. That lessened their initial wow-factor some, but ultimately gave the record longer legs. Alongside guitarist Mark McGuire's excellent solo effort, Does It Look Like I'm Here? became the year's go-to zone-out soundtrack, the album to reach for when other avant-noise LPs felt too abrasive. Even when muted, the band's head-spinning moments were still very much present: check the oscillating synth patterns of 12-minute centerpiece "Genetic", constantly unfurling and re-spooling around the extended guitar lines at the song's core. Magnify certain moments like this, or let the whole thing just wash over you.

Best hip hop record you didn't hear this year

A-1: The After School Special

Theme is all the tracks sample the theme songs to shows that were important to A-1 when he was a kid. However instead of just randomly rapping over the songs he bases the songs around elements of the shows and themes. Sometimes, like "Black Ranger" based on the Power Rangers theme dude is just flowing like a maniac (my favorite line from the song is "My girl's a Pterodactyl and my best friend's a T-rex"), while other songs like "Family Matters" are biographical and genuinely moving. Any rapper who talks about how his slide from being a nerd to being a dealer to getting his like straight with connections to Steve Erkle rules in my book. Also he makes "Golden Girls" into a party anthem. Shit is so fucking good. He's also got a bunch of other free mixtapes you can get. I'd kill to see him get on Kanye West's radar.

http://www.a-1music.com/post/1075629165/after-school-special

Best hip hop record you didn't hear this year

A-1: The After School Special

Theme is all the tracks sample the theme songs to shows that were important to A-1 when he was a kid. However instead of just randomly rapping over the songs he bases the songs around elements of the shows and themes. Sometimes, like "Black Ranger" based on the Power Rangers theme dude is just flowing like a maniac (my favorite line from the song is "My girl's a Pterodactyl and my best friend's a T-rex"), while other songs like "Family Matters" are biographical and genuinely moving. Any rapper who talks about how his slide from being a nerd to being a dealer to getting his like straight with connections to Steve Erkle rules in my book. Also he makes "Golden Girls" into a party anthem. Shit is so fucking good. He's also got a bunch of other free mixtapes you can get. I'd kill to see him get on Kanye West's radar.

http://www.a-1music.com/post/1075629165/after-school-special

Holy shit, this is good!!! +1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...