Anyone remember those MTV Drumscape arcade games?

Man those were so fun back in the day. I lived near a boardwalk and if you were a competent drummer you could look like a god to tourists walking by. Usually I would play a song and then turn around and notice a crowd had gathered.

Families are all like, "ooh he's so good." Girls would be like, he's a musician yeahhh and rubbin on their shit cause they're so turned on by your ability to play one of the 20 Metallica songs on there.

It was such a good idea that went to waste. Half the time the drum sticks would be attached to the machine with strings. That's fine except the strings would often be too short and you'd go to hit a cymbal and the motion would cause the sticks to be ripped from your hand. Then you're looking for the stick in the dark like a jackass.

The other half of the time they weren't attached to the game and people would just steal the sticks. One time I put in my money before I noticed the sticks were gone. Would have to play Incubus with my hands like bongos n shit.

After the first year of their existence the games started to break and most of the time and one pad wouldn't work. Then they may as well just throw out the game cause it's all ruined from there.

The song selection was balls too. 30 Metallica songs, 5 Korn songs, Freebird. After 2 years it was like the greatest hits for complete assholes.

What's completely retarded is I still see this game in almost every arcade. Most of the time they're not even plugged in and they're big as shit so it's just taking up room. Other times it's 100% broken in some way.

I don't know, I'm just ranting now but arcades totally suck in this country. I actually remember when arcades made the transition from being cool places to hang out and play X-Men, TMNT, and Simpsons arcade beat-em-ups. Play some Mortal Kombat 1-3, Killer Instinct, to being filled with 99% "ticket" games. It's totally fucked now. Every arcade looks exactly the game. They all have a bunch of retarded shits throwing in quarters to trying and win enough tickets to get a tootsie roll (for only $10!). All the other games that are actually video games are as follows:

Area 51 (usually broken)

Police Academy (usually broken)

House Of The Dead 1-991 (works perfectly but totally sucks)

Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga (who gives a fuck?)

I've never been to Japan but I hear it's not like that shit. They have Super Street Fighter IV and other games that are actually new and awesome. You go to arcades to play games not spend $20 to win enough tickets to get a paperclip and piece of 12-year old Dubble Bubble.

/ramt

Yeah, what's with the House of the Dead hate? Shit rules.

My buddy and I used to hit up the mall arcade on our lunch breaks. We beat Area 51 countless times. Such a great game. (And it's beyond easy to beat on one quarter)

The problem with arcades here is that they're totally antiquated unless they're part of a big company (Dave & Busters, Gameworks, etc), because games are so expensive. I myself don't have much of a problem with it, but still. The small arcade in the mall down the street from my house probably doesn't have a single game from the last 10 years. Place still has a number of classics, though.

The other thing about arcades in japan is most of these arcade games are made for japan and are licensed only for use in japan, which increases cost of importing. Most of these are coming out on consoles anyway which means importing it just ends up being a waste of time as most of the people playing will stop playing when it drops for consoles.

We beat Area 51 countless times. Such a great game. (And it's beyond easy to beat on one quarter)

Did you ever do the trick where you only shoot good guys until you turn into an alien?

And to whoever said Pit Fighter, remember Time Killers?

No, but I'm sure as shit gonna try it next time I'm at the mall, hahah.

I have an old Ivan Iron Man Stewart's Off Road in my shed that I play with my old friends I grew up with. I loved that game along with the Turtles in Time and Simpsons.

Down by me in Asbury Park there is an amazing Pinball Museum/Arcade. I could kill whole days on Mars Attacks. What's amazing is how some of the worst movies have awesome pinball machines: Waterworld and Apollo 13 are two of the best from the mid-1990s.