Most Overrated Movie?

For me there is only one true answer, and it's True Romance.

I heard such great things about this movie for the longest time and when I finally watched it I could not fathom what a colossal pile of shit this movie was. The ratio of great casting to awfulness of a movie is so off the charts it's fucking incredible (Brad Pitt plays a borderline bit-part).

Awful movie.

So what are your overrated movies?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never heard of that movie, so i can't say if it's overrated or not.

my pick? gone with the wind

Yeah I've only seen 30 mins of it and it was unbearable. I think you have to be a film school student or movie nerd to enjoy really old movies like that. Like I've heard so many times that Duck Soup is the funniest movie ever made. I don't know if those people are huffing paint thinner while they watch it or what.

Wizard of Oz

oooo good one.

also, clerks.

there are some really funny/memorable parts, but then there's a lot of boring filler.

Spot on with the Clerks analysis. The movie didn't even make sense. The whole movie the guy keeps saying that he's just opening the store cause the other guy couldn't or whatever. Then there's a scene where his girlfriend brings him lasagna and says, "since you're gonna be working late." Then later he gets the call that he is gonna have to work late and close the store. That incontinuity just always bugged the shit out of me.

My pick would have to be Napoleon Dynamite.

Watched it after hearing so many people hyping it on how great it was. I was unimpressed at first. Gave it a second chance and still nothing. A few one-liners and memorable scenes but overall over-hyped and did not deliver. Just my jaded opinion.

Donnie Darko

Scanner Darkly

Eternal Sunshine

Rushmore

Wish I could think of the rest of the ones that my friends are always going on about. Pretty much any movie that people find life changing or more important than what they actually are. They are entertainment.

Scanner Darkly

Everybody I know who'd seen it told me it was terrible, so I rented it myself, and thought it was alright. Not arguing you on that part, as it wasn't a great movie, per se, but I certainly don't view it as overrated or overhyped at all. It got lukewarm reviews, was a commercial failure, and all my super hip friends thought it sucked. I'd say it was disappointingly bad, but hardly overrated.

Donnie Darko

Scanner Darkly

Eternal Sunshine

Rushmore

Wish I could think of the rest of the ones that my friends are always going on about. Pretty much any movie that people find life changing or more important than what they actually are. They are entertainment.

I think all of Wes Anderson's movies are completely overrated, the Steve Zissou one was ok at best

My pick would have to be Napoleon Dynamite.

Watched it after hearing so many people hyping it on how great it was. I was unimpressed at first. Gave it a second chance and still nothing. A few one-liners and memorable scenes but overall over-hyped and did not deliver. Just my jaded opinion.

Me and a friend recently discovered a few things about Napolean Dynamite:

-While quoting Napolean is way past played out and unfunny, quoting any other characters from the movie is still funny.

"You guys wanna see my video?"

"Why I could throw a football over that mountain." "Really?"

"Your mom goes to college. hehehehehe"

-It's completely retarded but funny to do lines from ND but replacing every actor with Sean Connery.

"You guysh want to shee my video?"

"Thish ish like, the worsht video ever made."