NHL Trade Deadline - Today @ 3:00pm EST

not to mention that if the Pens make it deep into the payoffs with Hossa, that will afford them more money to sign him. I think Malkin will be tough to keep but if the Caps miss the playoffs again this season, he can ask his buddy Alex O how fun it is to make tons of loot and spend his spring golfing instead of playing in the palyoffs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck it.

I like this trade.

Pens are going to be sick for the rest of the year and there's a good chance we could resign Hossa.

Colby and Eric are replaceable. Esposito gets worse every year and that 25-30th pick will net maybe someone like Colby or EC.

Our Penalty Killing (our big weakness) just went up and I'm sure our #3 ranked power play just got better too.

The big thing is that Montreal and Ottawa DIDN'T get Hossa. That's huge.

Malkin is an RFA, the Pens shouldn't have to worry about much besides someone else submitting a massive offer sheet. As for the trade, if Hossa resigns its nice but the Pens need some big time goaltending before they're going to compete for anything significant. Hossa is a nice player but there's a reason the Sens didn't get to the Finals until they traded him.

Dallas by far is the winner. They are on a roll in a difficult Western Conference and they just added a Conn Smythe winner without giving up much of their front line players. Jussi Jokinen was money in shoot-outs and Mike Smith was a good back-up but both of those positions are replaceable.

Malkin is a RFA already? Man the years fly by. They better sign his ass soon. He's gonna get massive offers.

This is a good short-term move for the Penguins, but if Hossa doesn't re-sign, it hurts them in the long-run. Not to mention the fact that they're still not as good as the top dogs in the West.

I can't believe my hometown Wild got Chris fucking Simon. Really?

Already had Boogaard...

doesn't boogy have a bad back? also, they wanted to bulk up for a series with the ducks again. they now have Simon, Fridge, Boogey, and Vorros. however, they're still a very soft team and woln't stand a chance against the ducks IMO. 4 heavies doesn't mean jack, and if the ducks just decide to ignore them, then basically the wild are left at 3 lines for a game.

Malkin won't be a RFA until the end of next season. Which means we have 1 full year to negotiate with him before anyone can submit an offer sheet.

Fleury is an RFA soon and he was due a contract extension this year, but his injury hobbled that. Which means we can sign him now for a bit cheaper than we anticipated. Roberts will be off the book, as well as Recchi's salary. That frees up about $5 million + whatever Fleury COULD have got had he had another solid season. We can easily sign Hossa and still have money to pay Malkin and Staal.

We'll probably have to dump Sergei Gonchar over the next season or so, but he'll net a big return as well.

Pittsburgh hockey got serious yesterday. We now can make a run for the Big Cup as long as the defense picks up their game and Conlkin keeps doing insane things in the net.

I checked out some Montreal and Ottawa message boards and their fans are pretty upset and scared. Pens are a huge favorite right now.

I still don't think the Pens stand a chance against the Ducks or Sharks. Their only chance at a cup is if one of those teams doesn't make it to the finals (which is pretty unlikely). However, they certainly look better than the other teams in the East now.

Ottawa fans should be elated that they got Martin Lapointe. He has 3 goals this year!

I still don't think the Pens stand a chance against the Ducks or Sharks. Their only chance at a cup is if one of those teams doesn't make it to the finals (which is pretty unlikely). However, they certainly look better than the other teams in the East now.

Ottawa fans should be elated that they got Martin Lapointe. He has 3 goals this year!

The Sharks?!?!?!?

Seriously? We just played them on Sunday -- It was easily the most boring game of the season as far as Pens games. We lost 2-1 and that went into a shootout.

That Penguin team did not include Sidney Crosby or Marian Hossa.

Think about it.

The only team that worries me in the West is Dallas and we all know that the top seeds in the West always CHOKE. Detroit could prove to be a problem, but meh. Ducks, maybe -- all will be good series, but I think our team can handle them quite well.

The Sharks?!?!?!?

Seriously? We just played them on Sunday -- It was easily the most boring game of the season as far as Pens games. We lost 2-1 and that went into a shootout.

That Penguin team did not include Sidney Crosby or Marian Hossa.

Think about it.

The only team that worries me in the West is Dallas and we all know that the top seeds in the West always CHOKE. Detroit could prove to be a problem, but meh. Ducks, maybe -- all will be good series, but I think our team can handle them quite well.

Sid and Hossa could do well playing together but they may not work, who knows. I think depending on Conklin to bring a Cup or to be the man for a Cup contender is dicey at best. And you'd be quite foolish to over look the quacks, they're the best team in the West right now and the only team with a younger goalie who have won a Cup. Hell he won a Conn Smythe.

The Pens have a good shot at making it to the Finals but a slim chance of winning it. I too am a Kings' fan and the idea of the Ducks winning again sickens me but at this point its them, Dallas, and everyone else.

I agree that the Penguins are a good team, and certainly have a chance to win in the East, but they can't beat the Stars or Ducks and probably Sharks (who I really doubt will make it that far). I'm going to just assume the Red Wings will choke in the first round to the 8th seed, whoever that may be, so they don't count.

I just hope that if the Blackhawks don't make the playoffs, neither do the BJs, Predators, or Blues. If it's Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado, etc. that's fine. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to the rest of the Western conference, but I gotta hate those Central division teams.

Dude, when Bernier came and helped out Roy late in the game after that slash, I was so excited and he became my new favorite player. He FLATTENED Tootoo, then dropped the gloves and tried to fight whoever else came over. Fuck yea. That's on top of those two goals.

Brian who?

I didn't like him anyway, he was such a defensive liability and that SHOULD'VE been his top priority since, you know, he is a d-man.