Help me plan a trip to Pittsburgh

I literally have no idea where to suggest a hotel at, hmm...

The venue, Mr. Smalls is pretty close to the Zoo and close to some neighborhoods that I'm sure offer some vegan eats. Someone else will have to help you w/ that though, I eat meat. Lawrenceville (I live here), Bloomfield, and Shadyside are the neighborhoods you'd want to look into.

Record stores, my favorite is a block down from the venue, Attic Records. Here is the address:

513 Grant Avenue

Millvale, PA 15209

If you're in Bloomfield there is Paul's CDs (I know haha), but they carry vinyl too:

4526 Liberty Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15224

Jerry's records is the famous one around here, you may want to check that out too:

http://www.jerrysrecords.com/

These are my Prineline options to book a hotel:

Cranberry Township

Greentree

Pittsburgh Airport (PIT)

Pittsburgh Downtown

Pittsburgh East - Monroeville

Pittsburgh North - Allegheny Valley

Pittsburgh South

Pittsburgh South Side

University Center

West Mifflin - West Homestead

Which hotel in Greentree? I think there's only one, but it's right by the parkway to the city. That'd be a pretty good option for you and maybe the cheapest.

Avoid Cranberry, Monroeville, Airport, and Homestead. They're a bit further away.

Southside would be the best option if it's not too expensive. Tons of bars, places to eat, and shops on the main road. If you want to be around a lot of stuff I'd check that one out.

Let me know where you decide to stay and if you're mapping directions to the venue from there post them so I can look at them. There is some major construction on the road that leads to the venue and I'll take a look to make sure you're not getting screwed and sitting in traffic for days.

Which hotel in Greentree?

Southside would be the best option if it's not too expensive. Tons of bars, places to eat, and shops on the main road. If you want to be around a lot of stuff I'd check that one out.

With Priceline you don't know until you book it. You put in an offer, and an area, and if your offer is accepted it books a room in a hotel for you. I always use Priceline, usually get a nice hotel room for like $70 bucks!

I saw that the venue was sorda on the outskirts of town. I wanna stay where I can just walk outside and theirs a lot going on, shops, eats, stuff like that. So Southside it is?

Quality Inn University Center

Hotel Guest Rating: 6.7/10

3401 Boulevard Of The Allies

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

How is this area? I can book a night their for $89 bucks plus charges.

It seems like everyone in South Side at least $200 + a night.

If I book it in the outskirts for like $75 a night, can I find free/cheap parking in the South side area to dump the car off all day?

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

If I book it in the outskirts for like $75 a night, can I find free/cheap parking in the South side area to dump the car off all day?

There's a lot of street parking in the South Side, you'll just have to look for a spot on the side/back streets.

Someone said the Quiet Storm above, yeah, that's a good place to go for vegans. It's located relatively close to the venue too.

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

that quality inn is in Oakland where PITT, CMU and CARLOW all are at. lots of bars, a couple veggie/vegan places. Quiet Storm is at 5430 Penn Avenue, it wont be near any hotel you stay at, unless you stay at the Marriott in Shadyside on Baum Blvd.

in Oakland you can get vegan food at Mad Mex, Lulu Noodles and a few smaller local places on south craig street. other vegan places would be Zenith on Southside, Doublewide Grill has vegan options on southside, but you're not experiencing pittsburgh until you break your veganism and go eat at Primanti's in the Strip District. If you like Thai food, Thai Place on Liberty Ave in Bloomfield is awesome, best in Pittsburgh.

If you like Thai food, Thai Place on Liberty Ave in Bloomfield is awesome, best in Pittsburgh.

You know the address of this place? I found a couple different ones when I tried googling it.

The show is in Milvale @ Mr. Smalls. Is this place cool? I think I was there for an Alkaline Trio/Bayside show here a few summers ago.

I booked my Hotel at:

Days Inn Pittsburgh International Airport

2500 Market Place Blvd

Coraopolis, PA 15108 US

It's a ways out. But I'll have the car, so If parking's not a huge issue in Pittsburgh I don't mind driving to save a few bucks. Got a room for $82 bucks after charges.

So far I wanna check these places out:

Record Stores:

Attic Records

513 Grant Avenue

Millvale, PA 15209

Paul's CDs

4526 Liberty Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15224

Jerry’s Records

2136 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15217-2106

Vegan Food:

Quite Strom (Vegan Café)

5430 Penn Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA

(412) 661-9355

(get a try a Blackadilla)

What about little shops, or a main strip to check out? Will be going with my girlfriend and another couple.

just so you know... that hotel is far, a good 30+ minutes from downtown if/when you hit traffic at the tunnels. parking on all the main roads in the neighborhoods are metered, but side streets are not.

jerry records is enormous and full of tons of stuff you'll never care about/never heard of.

i dont know the number on liberty ave but its called Thai Cuisine and its on Liberty Ave near West Penn Hospital in Bloomfield.

butler street in lawrenceville

carson street in southside

penn ave/liberty ave in the strip district

forbes ave in squirrel hill

south craig st in oakland

just so you know... that hotel is far, a good 30+ minutes from downtown if/when you hit traffic at the tunnels. parking on all the main roads in the neighborhoods are metered, but side streets are not.

Yeah I plan on going to the city all day, going back to the hotel around midnight to check in and sleep. Checking out in the morning and driving back into the city. I saved over $100 by taking a hotel farther out.

I'll make a note that Jerry's sucks and not to sweat it if I don't make it lol.

Thanks man.

its not that it sucks, its just so enormous and overwhelming that it can eat up a lot of your day trying to find one or two records you will like. its seriously the biggest record store ive ever seen, and its only vinyl, wall to wall, floor to ceiling.

yeah i went there when i was in pittsburgh for a wedding and found maybe 1 or 2 records. although i was only there for a short while but man that place is rediculously huge. if i remember correctly there was a smaller place next to it that had some records but i think it was mostly hip hop and beat stuff.

if you like baseball at all, im sure you can get super cheap pirates tickets off stubhub.... they tend to suck, but they have an absolutely gorgeous stadium

I've seen it when driving through. I'd be down, but with such limited time I know I couldn't convince the entire group.

I'm hoping to make a day trip to Pittsburgh sometime over the summer for a game with another friend.

Jerry's is the greatest place in the world. The only way you can skip it is if you truly just aren't into music that isn't prevalent on this board. And even then, I've found plenty of that stuff at Jerry's, even though it's not that common these days. I bought a Doldrums 7" a few months ago for $2 just because it was No Idea #1 and a Posies Lp for $3 that is super rare. But really, anyone who doesn't want to go to a record store that literally has well over one million records in one place should just delete their account.

But I admit the place is intimidating. My girlfriend wanted to go at the last minute last weekend and I had to pass because I didn't have a list ready. I've been there countless times, know what I want to search for, and 3-4 hours still zips by in no time.

Jerry's is the greatest place in the world. The only way you can skip it is if you truly just aren't into music that isn't prevalent on this board. And even then, I've found plenty of that stuff at Jerry's, even though it's not that common these days. I bought a Doldrums 7" a few months ago for $2 just because it was No Idea #1 and a Posies Lp for $3 that is super rare. But really, anyone who doesn't want to go to a record store that literally has well over one million records in one place should just delete their account.

But I admit the place is intimidating. My girlfriend wanted to go at the last minute last weekend and I had to pass because I didn't have a list ready. I've been there countless times, know what I want to search for, and 3-4 hours still zips by in no time.

Is Jerry's the sort of place that has an abundance of stuff you'd find in your parents basement? Or can I find newer stuff too?

Is Jerry's the sort of place that has an abundance of stuff you'd find in your parents basement? Or can I find newer stuff too?

There's very little newer stuff. And an abundance of everything else.

this. if you're planning on doing anything else with your day, avoid jerrys.