Taste of Chaos amazingness!

I went to Taste of Chaos last night in Milwaukee. This is partly to share, because the show was tons of fun (in that it totally sucked, more below) and as a way of saying thanks to Mr. Scott Hiesel, who mailed me the free tickets.

The first band we saw were Idiot Pilot, who were terrible. I'm sure some people really like them, but I thought they sucked. They try to do this hardcore, techno thing, one of the guys has a powerbook on stage with him that he plays back beats through. It just made the drummer seem lazy, since half the beat was percussion, and the rest you couldn't hear over the guitars anyway. They had all sorts of problems getting the mics to work, which was annoying enough, but half-way through the first song, the vocalist who doesn't scream yanked his mic out of the amp while jumping around stage. Hilarious! They also don't have a bassist. What's up with that?

The second band was the Underneath; they're a Japanese metal band. They were amazing. One of their guitarists is a woman who was not only technically accomplished, but a consummate professional. She could rock out while maintaining a stoicism that would make a samurai proud. I have a huge crush on her now. I'm even luckier in that I told my girlfriend about her, while still being really excited about all this last night after the show, and she thought it was great. I think my girlfriend's crazy. Anyway! They play a style of metal that really reminds me of some classic stuff from the 90's, but in a good way. Thoroughly enjoyable performance. And the lead singer does the androgynous thing like only a tall, skinny Japanese guy can pull off.

The next band was Bless The Fall. The kids loved them. They were pretty meh. I'm not a great guitarist, but I know I could play all their songs. They rock the same thing Atreyu does: chunky hardcore riffs, the occasional metal solo, one guy who can sing, and the other guy doing the atonal hardcore growl. They're good at what they do, but what they do isn't really my thing.

We left after that because we still had to drive back to Madison and we both had a lot of work to do this morning. Also, it was taking them an hour to set-up between bands. The sound guy must have been drunk.

The other highlight was intimidating some drunk bro-guy who was flailing around and kept kicking me. I asked him, rather nicely, to knock it the hell off, and he put his shirt back on and wandered away after staring at my mohawk. The hawk was looking pretty good last night and I must have looked pissed, I'm not usually a very intimidating person. Also, the 14 year-old at the bar who tried to bum a smoke off of me was totally awesome (I bum smokes when I'm drunk, I don't actually buy cigarettes). I overheard her trying to get the bartender to give her alcohol (unsuccessfully) while I was being over-charged for an MGD. He was unimpressed.

All in all we had a great time. Its fun to see some random bands you've never heard of or listened to before, and people watching at these huge corporate shows can be a lot of fun. Thanks Scott!