Running

There any runners on the board who could give me some pointers?

Now the weather is getting good here i wanna try to take this up, i do a lot of cycling 80km+ a week as well as playing football once a week so i'm fairly fit but really want to try something new. I don't want to be running marathons or anything but if i can build up to 15 miles a week (based on three runs a week) or so by the end of the summer i'd be really happy.

Anyone got any advice/pointers etc that might help me out? I'd really like to know any methods people have used to gradually build up the distance they cover during any one run as i can imagine this is going to be the hardest part. Any other stuff you think i should know would be awesome too. I'm probably going to be running predominantly on concrete given that i live in the middle of London so any recommendations for good running shoes could be cool!

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

document.write('+':01a1pgqi]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':01a1pgqi]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

From your other fitness, you shouldn't have a problem building up to at least 15 miles/week. Go to a running store and have them do a stride analysis. Let them recommend a shoe there and then go on the Internet and check out similar shoes. Take it slow and work up 1'mile total per week.

thanks man, there's a nike running store a little while away so i'm going to try to hit them up tomorrow, they have a treadmill there so i'm guessing that's to analyse that kinda stuff. i'm going to take this super slow, the first week i played football it almost killed me and i couldn't walk properly for a good few days so i've learned my lesson.

i just started running too, i do 2 miles a day right now, gonna try to bump it up a little bit soon. i was running in adidas gazelles for a while (like sambas only worse) which was...not fun haha

haha getting the wrong shoes terrifies me, my buddy got to the point where he could run 10 miles at a time but suddenly got shin splints, he could barely walk for two weeks and it was all down to not getting properly fitted for shoes.

I've always been active and relatively fit but had built up a bit of a beer gut. So while I could run 3 miles at the drop of a hat, it was close to a ten minute mile. So last summer I decided to get in proper shape, almost exclusively by running (and dieting.) I started out running approx. two miles a day until the routine was an afterthought. Then I'd bump it up by another mile until it got to the point where I didn't feel like I was accomplishing enough when I was done. By the time winter rolled around, I'd become "addicted" and was up to 6 miles a day (and down 40 pounds.) I never focused on my time, simply my distance and how exhausted it was making me. That's how I decided when to increase the distance. The speed will come naturally, I'm under a 7 minute mile at this point and I'm not even pushing myself.

I never had any desire to run, it was just a way to lose some weight. Considering you're actually interested in it and in decent shape, you should be successful with it.

The last time I ran on a regular basis before this was probably 9 years ago and after a few months, the shin splints would make it so I could barely walk for a few days. I've never had the slightest sign of pain this time even though I was heavier, so I wonder if it was the shoes. I'm an Asics fan and I did a self test online from their website. Dip your foot in water, place it on a brown bag, and match up what it looks like to the chart on the site. That's how I picked my shoes.

Happy running!

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

{

document.write('+':o0s3iakx]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':o0s3iakx]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{