Which Pixies Pressing Should I Buy?

So I've been wanting to purchase a few Pixies albums on vinyl lately, especially Doolittle and Bossanova, and I know there are a few different pressings out there. I was just wondering if there was any specific pressing that people have preferred or not. I'm not concerned with having first pressings or anything like that. I'm more concerned with sound quality. I know there are 180 gram pressings out there. Are those that much better? Thanks!

i picked up all 4 of their full lengths on 180g and they sound AMAZZZZINNGGGGGGGGGG.

i haven't heard the og's or seen their packaging for comparison. i had everything on cd before i bought these.

but i must say i am very very very pleased with them. they all come in printed sleeves (except doolittle, which comes in a paper sleeve with an insert) and none of the jackets are gatefold.

but yeah, the sound is fantastic.

same with those Smiths 180g reissues, i bought all those too and they are wonderful.

Its hard to go wrong with a Mofi. I have a "Here's Little Richard" mofi that sounds amazing. They usually put out a few titles every year, and recently have done some nice Elvis Costello, John Lennon, and Frank Sinatra re-issues. I think if I had to name my best sounding album, it would be the Mofi remaster of "Sea Change" by Beck.

Its hard to go wrong with a Mofi. I have a "Here's Little Richard" mofi that sounds amazing. They usually put out a few titles every year, and recently have done some nice Elvis Costello, John Lennon, and Frank Sinatra re-issues. I think if I had to name my best sounding album, it would be the Mofi remaster of "Sea Change" by Beck.

This. It sounds so amazing

• 4 years later...

Wanted to rekindle this thread as I'm in the market for some Pixies as well.  I don't know if I'm a huge enough fan to drop $30 a pop on the Mofi's.  Could anyone else weigh in on the SQ of Wave of Mutilation?  Is it mastered well / sound great / etc?

http://www.discogs.com/Pixies-Best-Of-Pixies-Wave-Of-Mutilation/release/2650664

• 4 months later...

I've heard / have the originals, the 180g represses and the MoFi editions as well as the new Doolittle 25 box.

it depends on which record in particular you're looking for; but I'm going to have to echo the others here and say in general you should go for the MoFi pressings. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle sound especially mind blowing. the originals would be my second choice - otherwise, the 180g pressings sound pretty good. however, as nice as they sound, i think the difference between the originals and the 180g pressings is pretty noticeable.

MoFi copies should be probably be priced somewhere between the originals and the represses and they also sound the best, so I'd grab those. there's some debate that the mofi bossanova and trompe le monde are missing a little of the low-end and "oomph" present on the originals, which is more or less distortion - so the mofi copies sound cleaner, but maybe a little kiss ass-kicking. but the mofi surfer rosa and doolittle are superb.

Anyone know whether Doolittle 25 sounds any better/worse than the MOFI?

Doesn't sound quite as good to me, but it still sounds pretty damn good. I imagine it's pretty similar to the 180g repress. I have the Mofi, and it was still worth it to me just to have the b-sides, peel sessions and demos all in the same set - it gets tiresome switching between all those singles to hear the b-sides. It's worth mentioning the artwork and packaging on Doolittle 25 is top-notch.