PO: ALKALINE TRIO "Damnesia" 2xLP

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely express opinions here (because I honestly get tired of reading so many) but does anyone else find the breakdown odd? 15 songs...4 from GM and 3 are new/cover material. That's half of the album and they have seven albums (not counting ST and Remains).

It's nice because I'm pretty much guaranteed that I'll like this more than the last couple...but I find it strange that GM got so much representation..I like the album. Just strange.

Oh and while I'm expressing opinions...am I alone in thinking the cover art looks more like something you'd see from a grammy nominated band than alk3?

I'll preorder this week.

^^ if you think about it, though, there have been songs from the other albums that have been recorded on an acoustic and properly released. the deluxe version of crimson had Mercy Me, Sadie, I Was A Prayer, and Time To Waste acoustic. the deluxe edition of Agony & Irony had Maybe I'll Catch Fire, Live Young Die Fast , Into the Night, Over and Out, and Lost and Rendered acoustic on it. to be honest, i'm more surprised that they re-recorded a different acoustic version of Mercy Me for this release.

i think the tracklisting is pretty good, although i'd have loved to have seen some of the DEEP cuts make it. Angel Alcohol would have been really neat to finally see a properly recorded version. '97 would have been awesome, too. but honestly i think the album is gonna be really neat as is.

i really like alkaline trio but i just can't get into it, at least clavicle. i just don't see the need to re-record songs that people are already wild over.

I think this record is essentially meant to be a Greatest Hits. I much prefer this new take on these hits over simply compiling old takes.

That said, its a bit weird of a Greatest Hits. I wish there were more surprises, and more varied selections. So much Good Mourning, yet only one From Here To Infirmary/Crimson. And Blue In The Face? Is that not already an acoustic track?

i really like alkaline trio but i just can't get into it, at least clavicle. i just don't see the need to re-record songs that people are already wild over.

I think this record is essentially meant to be a Greatest Hits. I much prefer this new take on these hits over simply compiling old takes.

That said, its a bit weird of a Greatest Hits. I wish there were more surprises, and more varied selections. So much Good Mourning, yet only one Goddamnit/From Here To Infirmary/Crimson. And Blue In Face Face? Is that not already an acoustic track?

there's a demo version that's not acoustic (that i actually like better).

i agree though i think it was kind of a weird song choice. i was hoping for '97 but no such luck. anyway, i see what you're saying and i get why people like it. personally i just like to keep things the way they are if i already like them. the songs maintained popularity for this long the way they are so i just like to see them stay that way. i'll still give it a fair listen.

That said, its a bit weird of a Greatest Hits. I wish there were more surprises, and more varied selections. So much Good Mourning, yet only one Goddamnit/From Here To Infirmary/Crimson. And Blue In Face Face? Is that not already an acoustic track?

i agree though i think it was kind of a weird song choice. i was hoping for '97 but no such luck. anyway, i see what you're saying and i get why people like it. personally i just like to keep things the way they are if i already like them. the songs maintained popularity for this long the way they are so i just like to see them stay that way. i'll still give it a fair listen.

I don't really see why this would be an issue. The original take will always still be there. I'm all for having something (kinda, sorta) new to listen to, even if it doesn't turn out quite as good. I can always still throw my Goddamnit LP on the player if thats the case.

Either way, I'm quite happy with the values in the acoustic Clavicle. I was really worried we were just going to hear barebones, afterthought, live takes along the lines of the Agony/This Addiction bonus tracks. It shows promise at least.

I don't really see why this would be an issue. The original take will always still be there. I'm all for having something (kinda, sorta) new to listen to, even if it doesn't turn out quite as good. I can always still throw my Goddamnit LP on the player if thats the case.

Either way, I'm quite happy with the values in the acoustic Clavicle. I was really worried we were just going to hear barebones, afterthought, live takes along the lines of the Agony/This Addiction bonus tracks. It shows promise at least.

maybe i just don't like change haha

• 3 weeks later...

Kings Road preorders are back up, with a "Beer Brown" color.

http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/epitaph-records/artist/?id=154

And the Alkaline Trio store itself has preorders up for yellow copies.

http://alkalinetrio.cinderblock.com/

I'm having a tough time deciding.

Travis: any further news on what Hot Topic may be getting?

Kings Road preorders are back up, with a "Beer Brown" color.

http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/epitaph-records/artist/?id=154

And the Alkaline Trio store itself has preorders up for yellow copies.

http://alkalinetrio.cinderblock.com/

I'm having a tough time deciding.

Travis: any further news on what Hot Topic may be getting?

No idea what color its gonna be but I believe it will be limited to 500